Symbian

3.9

Symbian Executive Director Tim Holbrow
Tim Holbrow
1 Rating

A great place to work (Symbian Ltd.)

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Symbian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Symbian was a great place to work, it had some of the smartest people I have ever met working there, and (before the takeover) the facilities and culture were excellent. We had tech talks once a month and great parties.

Cons

The companies structure (owned solely by manufacturers) meant it was always too beholden to a few big device makers, this had a massive impact on what we could create and how we created it, we had to do what was best for other companies, not ourselves and the product we were creating.

Too late now, but we should have pushed the product in the direction that was best for consumers and the market rather than our shareholder companies. Symbian had touchscreen before anyone else, Symbian had a promising UI that we were forced to sell.
    Also, we should have paid MUCH MUCH more attention to the negative feedback we were getting from third party developers, devices (computers included) have always been about the Apps, if its too hard to create Apps, your not going to capture developer mind share, which in turn means you are not going to capture as much market share. The fact we were on 90% of smartphones and no-one else was even close, turned out to be a bad thing. We had no competition to mark ourselves against, and when iOS came out and was so far ahead in some ways (the ways that mattered), but so far behind in other ways (the ways that didn't), the threat it posed wasn't fully appreciated until it was too late.

Great

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Symbian as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, great ideas, good energy.

Cons

Poor people, clueless managers, lack of planning

Leave..

From nothing to everywhere in four years!

I worked at Symbian

Pros

I worked from the beginning of Symbian through to 2002. It was an awesome startup that really took over the tech press and dominated the mobile world...for a while

Cons

And then those pesky handset manufacturers got in the way. Shame that so much promise was squandered in the early 2000s.

Don't mix customers with shareholders

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once in a lifetime opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Symbian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Symbian was one of these rare situations where a team of brilliant people come together and make the most of a tremendous market opportunity. It was an incredibly well-led company that ran like a machine and produced some of the wides ever used software on the planet.

Cons

Tragically, Symbian's phone vendor shareholders did not realise the potential of the people in Symbian. While the software was getting outdated and contained a lot of legacy that could not be removed, they should have used the technical talent, management capability and development process experience available in Symbian to develop a new phone OS platform that could compete on a level playing field with Google Android.

coolest ever on the planet earth

Current Employee - Packer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Packer in London, England

I have been working at Symbian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good thing that matters most

Cons

real good in benefits and bonus annually

very well

Being sacked 2 days after my Mother dropped dead.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Symbian as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

There were some decent people working there.

Cons

John Schroder, the project office manager.

Do not be sexist or racist.

Great Software Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Symbian

Pros

There was a real focus on the software, and keeping the engineers happy. More so than I have ever seen at any other company.

Cons

Under resourced. Our internal and external customers asked for a lot - there was always too much to do, and not enough time to do it in.

Overall a fine job. We had a vision of the way forward, and apart from minor issues along the way, we tended to execute that vision.

Good lifestyle, poor pay

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Symbian

Pros

Work life balance is very good
    Management are sensible w.r.t work practices..felxitime, no suits etc etc

Cons

pay/compensation is below average
    middle management are often flaky
    attitude towards promotion/work reviews isn't great

reward the efforts of workers in line with other companies. continue to respect the style in which employees may choose to work

Compensation and benefits good, managers need improvement.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Symbian

Pros

The compensation is at least comparable with similar London-based companies, at least in Information Systems. ~This may be due to the presence of city-based companies (i.e. financial institutions) in the vicinity - although it will be interesting to see how their difficulties at present influence Symbian's compensation packages.

The benefits are good, especially medical insurance, which a number of people I know have made use of.

Management attitude to work/life balance is favourable, and it is always possible to take time off for necessities & emergencies.

The work is often interesting and challenging - although not always so!

Cons

IS management are definitely not people-oriented, and seem to make a habit of putting their foot in their mouth every time they try to make an announcement. Furthermore, one or two in particular seem to go out of their way to avoid exchanging even a single word with some of their staff. I'm sure that some middle managers don't even know who some of their staff are, despite working yards away from them!

Please try to get managers with properly developed people skills. And please stop avoiding peoples' difficult questions about the future.

Great people, nice place for techies, salary could be better.

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Symbian

Pros

Working atmosphere:
    Friendly atmosphere. Graduates are treated great and get to form great relationships.

Work/life balance:
    Flexible working hours and management is supportive when you need to be absent for medical/personal reasons.

People/fun:
    Great people. Lots of drinks, social events. Chance to propose your own social events/sports.

Office environment:
    The office environment depends on the floor you work at. The "worst" floors are going through major refurbishment though.

Opportunities:
    There are hopefully going to be loads of opportunities now that we are becoming part of Nokia.

Cons

Graduates seem to be stack with the graduate group that they joined. There are a lot of people that joined 5-10 years ago and form the core of the company. There is a great gap between them and the new joiners.

Compensation!

Not enough information about different opportunities and career paths within the company.

Worked for Symbian? Contribute to the Community!