Symbian

Be The First To
Add Photos

Symbian Executive Director Tim Holbrow

Tim Holbrow

A great place to work (Symbian Ltd.)

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsSymbian was a great place to work, it had some of the smartest people I have ever met working there, and (before the takeover) the facilities and culture were excellent. We had tech talks once a month and great parties.

ConsThe companies structure (owned solely by manufacturers) meant it was always too beholden to a few big device makers, this had a massive impact on what we could create and how we created it, we had to do what was best for other companies, not ourselves and the product we were creating.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late now, but we should have pushed the product in the direction that was best for consumers and the market rather than our shareholder companies. Symbian had touchscreen before anyone else, Symbian had a promising UI that we were forced to sell.
    Also, we should have paid MUCH MUCH more attention to the negative feedback we were getting from third party developers, devices (computers included) have always been about the Apps, if its too hard to create Apps, your not going to capture developer mind share, which in turn means you are not going to capture as much market share. The fact we were on 90% of smartphones and no-one else was even close, turned out to be a bad thing. We had no competition to mark ourselves against, and when iOS came out and was so far ahead in some ways (the ways that mattered), but so far behind in other ways (the ways that didn't), the threat it posed wasn't fully appreciated until it was too late.

Great

Project Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat people, great ideas, good energy.

ConsPoor people, clueless managers, lack of planning

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave..

From nothing to everywhere in four years!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked from the beginning of Symbian through to 2002. It was an awesome startup that really took over the tech press and dominated the mobile world...for a while

ConsAnd then those pesky handset manufacturers got in the way. Shame that so much promise was squandered in the early 2000s.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't mix customers with shareholders

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once in a lifetime opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsSymbian was one of these rare situations where a team of brilliant people come together and make the most of a tremendous market opportunity. It was an incredibly well-led company that ran like a machine and produced some of the wides ever used software on the planet.

ConsTragically, Symbian's phone vendor shareholders did not realise the potential of the people in Symbian. While the software was getting outdated and contained a lot of legacy that could not be removed, they should have used the technical talent, management capability and development process experience available in Symbian to develop a new phone OS platform that could compete on a level playing field with Google Android.

coolest ever on the planet earth

Packer (Current Employee) London, England

Prosgood thing that matters most

Consreal good in benefits and bonus annually

Advice to Senior Managementvery well

Being sacked 2 days after my Mother dropped dead.

Project Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThere were some decent people working there.

ConsJohn Schroder, the project office manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be sexist or racist.

Great Software Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThere was a real focus on the software, and keeping the engineers happy. More so than I have ever seen at any other company.

ConsUnder resourced. Our internal and external customers asked for a lot - there was always too much to do, and not enough time to do it in.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall a fine job. We had a vision of the way forward, and apart from minor issues along the way, we tended to execute that vision.

Good lifestyle, poor pay

Graduate Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsWork life balance is very good
    Management are sensible w.r.t work practices..felxitime, no suits etc etc

Conspay/compensation is below average
    middle management are often flaky
    attitude towards promotion/work reviews isn't great

Advice to Senior Managementreward the efforts of workers in line with other companies. continue to respect the style in which employees may choose to work

Compensation and benefits good, managers need improvement.

Network Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe compensation is at least comparable with similar London-based companies, at least in Information Systems. ~This may be due to the presence of city-based companies (i.e. financial institutions) in the vicinity - although it will be interesting to see how their difficulties at present influence Symbian's compensation packages.

The benefits are good, especially medical insurance, which a number of people I know have made use of.

Management attitude to work/life balance is favourable, and it is always possible to take time off for necessities & emergencies.

The work is often interesting and challenging - although not always so!

ConsIS management are definitely not people-oriented, and seem to make a habit of putting their foot in their mouth every time they try to make an announcement. Furthermore, one or two in particular seem to go out of their way to avoid exchanging even a single word with some of their staff. I'm sure that some middle managers don't even know who some of their staff are, despite working yards away from them!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to get managers with properly developed people skills. And please stop avoiding peoples' difficult questions about the future.

Great people, nice place for techies, salary could be better.

Graduate Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsWorking atmosphere:
    Friendly atmosphere. Graduates are treated great and get to form great relationships.

Work/life balance:
    Flexible working hours and management is supportive when you need to be absent for medical/personal reasons.

People/fun:
    Great people. Lots of drinks, social events. Chance to propose your own social events/sports.

Office environment:
    The office environment depends on the floor you work at. The "worst" floors are going through major refurbishment though.

Opportunities:
    There are hopefully going to be loads of opportunities now that we are becoming part of Nokia.

ConsGraduates seem to be stack with the graduate group that they joined. There are a lot of people that joined 5-10 years ago and form the core of the company. There is a great gap between them and the new joiners.

Compensation!

Not enough information about different opportunities and career paths within the company.

Advice to Senior Management-

Worked for Symbian? Contribute to the Community!