Synapse Product Development

Updated 29 August 2014
3.7

Synapse Product Development CEO and Co-Founder Ross Collins
Ross Collins

The best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Constantly tackling exciting and new challenges. Working on fun new technologies that push the limits of size and capabilities. However, the best thing about working for Synapse is the culture of the company. It feels more like a family than a work environment. The fun events and activities bring a good balance to the work environment. I couldn't recommend Synapse any higher.

Cons

There are smalls cons that pop up every once in a while, however none of them are even worth mentioning because I would be nit-picking. I love working at Synapse and would recommend it to anyone asking.

Continue to listen to the employees and keep the transparency of the business. So much of the struggles in the past were much more difficult to get through when upper management was not transparent with us. I believe it is back now, let's keep it going.

Hard to see where this is going, but it's an interesting ride.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

The coworkers are outstandingly diverse, interesting, driven and highly competent. You can learn something new every day from each person who works here. Each project has its own interesting aspects that keep you on your toes and learning. The work / life balance is excellent and the benefits are top notch.

Cons

Management is pretty much a weak soup. It's hard to know who's controlling what, what the company's long-term vision is, or how we're planning on getting there together. Upper echelons are clique-y and aloof and Synapse is not particularly transparent in its operations. Compensation is reasonable, but not first-rate, but the work-load isn't onerous.

Create a company vision, a business plan, and share it with your staff. Good things will happen.

Talented people that deliver outstanding work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diversity of projects
    Talented and committed employees

Cons

Workload is sporadic and causes lots of churn in resources

Teach everyone how thw company adds value to it's customers rather than adding engineering capacity

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

I have been working at Synapse Product Development

Pros

The main thing I like is that we work in a culture of strong mutual respect. Curiosity is the key quality people exhibit and it let's people focus on solving problems rather than politics. Failure is tolerated as long as you own the problem. Asking for help early is always encouraged

Cons

Currently, the company is facing short term business challenges requiring a change in process

Fill the pipeline and don't burden us with process

May 06, 2014Vice President, Human Resources

We appreciate the feedback. Yes Synapse was founded on strong employee-centric principles. Tough times recently have challenged all of us but we are working hard to get on track again and be even ... More

Mayday mayday! This ship's going down!

I worked at Synapse Product Development

Pros

Some people at Synapse work really hard to make it a good place to work. There are a lot of very smart people to learn from, and there is a culture to encourage that learning (this is seen the most in the mechanical engineering department, but also in others to a lesser extent). If you're into booze - there is no shortage of that here. Most people are pretty friendly and open. Lots of very athletic people if you're into that. Benefits package is pretty good for a small company.

Cons

Job instability. Two layoffs within one year. The future is looking very bleak. HR can be heavy handed in dealing with off color things. As an example - one specific word was censored repeatedly from the internal wiki. In another incident, a coworker was reprimanded for a mildly off color joke. The culture can be very cliquey. Promotions are fairly random and haphazard - more about who likes you rather than what you can do for the company. Management structure changes on a weekly basis. Leadership tries to promote a company "culture" - but almost all of that culture died off between the layoffs and the massive increase in size of the company, so at this point it just feels painfully forced.

Quit. Two layoffs in 10 months? You have failed.

May 06, 2014Vice President, Human Resources

Your pros really tell the story of how great Synapsters are and how Synapse encourages all to be their best. Regarding your cons, multiple layoffs in one year are excruciatingly hard for everyone ... More

Not What they Portrayed themselves to be

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros – Above average benefits
    Free Lunch on Wed.
    Free Snacks
    Interesting projects

Cons

Cons – Where do I start. There are so many cons about this company. They draw people in with their free beer, free Wed. lunch, games and the "freedom" to express yourself. They do have all of this with the exception of the freedom to express yourself. You are only free to express yourself as long as it fits into their philosophy and Synapse culture. Some of the behavior is extremely cult-like. They push their company CULTure relentlessly. If you do not exhibit appropriate Synapse attitude and culture you are at risk of losing your job or being pulled from projects.

Fratboy behavior permeates the culture. This begins with your first week of work when you are stood in front of the entire company and hazed and humiliated. People spend more time trying to be funny and come up with practical jokes or drink beer than actually do some work.

Employees and co-workers consistently put up road blocks which make it difficult for management to manage, and for projects to get done in a timely manner.
    Lack of process has contributed greatly to financial loss and internal frustration on teams.
    People lacking any real world or management experience have been placed in management roles which set teams, and the company up for failure.

Managers (and I call them that because there are no people with leadership skills here) lack the skill to forecast or to understand basic business practices. There is no strategy for next projects and how to fully utilize staff. People were laid off and 1 month later that role is open again and they are hiring the next poor sucker.

This company has a history of mismanagement of projects and funds which have lead them to multiple layoffs over the years, not only in 2013-2014 . In the past year there have been 2 significant layoffs resulting in the layoff of about half of the company. One of their favorite sayings is "People before Profit". Ha! When the hard times hit, the founders did nothing to try and save jobs like cut expenses or improve process. Their first reaction was to lay people off. Not only am I not optimistic about this company but I have lost all respect for this company. The founders are doomed to repeat their mistakes.

Getting out as fast as I can.

Advice to Senior Management/Founders – Stop allowing inexperienced staff and employees to run the company and influence your business decisions.

May 06, 2014Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your honest feedback. I really mean it! It is important to hear these frustrations in order for Synapse to address and turn the corner to being a great place again. Multiple layoffs ... More

Time to start looking for a new home

Pros

Besides a paycheck, nothing

Cons

Leadership is severely lacking a vision. Constant on-boarding of new Senior Management is a joke. The CEO is spinning in circles with no direction and no idea how to build or make Synapse into what it was 2 years ago. The same clients we have had for years are pulling back on projects so revenue is drastically falling. We just went thru another layoff which was horrible and saddening to go thru.

All of your rock stars are getting ready to leave because of the Leadership

Great culture and environment, lack of projects and clients make it very challenging

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic people, great work location, and amazing perks: free beverages, beer Fridays, Weekly Wednesday lunches, generous PTO.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is not enough diversity in clients, and plenty of competition in the marketplace. Having just a few is very risky. As a result, Synapse has had yearly layoffs - of 15-20% every year - due to client project need changes.

You may also be placed in a role that is outside of your area of expertise, making it more challenging.

The upper management team has tried for 1 year with very little success on obtaining new clients and new sales opportunities. Recommendation would be to have new sales teams, to diversity projects and clients, including a change in leadership.

Fantastic company with great people

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You get to work on some really cool projects, they treat their employees very well

Cons

You really need to be a self starter here. No one is really telling you what to do.

Great place to work, but still maturing

Former Employee - Management  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Management in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaboration is a value, and an expected fact
    Brilliant engineers who are creative and know there disciplines
    Open office plan where projects are quickly and easily co-located
    Wednesday company lunches and Beer:30s

Cons

Just changes management and they are struggling with values that made the company
    New management is in an ivory tower a bit and not communicative
    They grew too fast and are trying to bring in business to match current size with limited success resulting in repeated layoffs

Talk with your people and listen to them more. There is a trust issue widening as the belief is that you are all making decisions that impact them and they are not a part of it. They were hired under the "Open Disclosure" promise and see it being violated. If that is no longer the policy, then state it and set out what is the current practice. Stop hiding and excluding them.

Worked for Synapse Product Development? Contribute to the Community!