T.G.I. Friday's

Updated 23 January 2015
2.9

T.G.I. Friday's President & CEO Nick Shepherd
Nick Shepherd

Pros
  • It was a great way to work through college and make decent money with a flexible schedule (in 26 reviews)

• The company prioritizes the importance of having a fun environment for both the guests and the employees (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours depending upon position but worth the money (in 18 reviews)

• I worked long late hours all the time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

What you would expect

Former Employee - Waitress
    Former Employee - Waitress

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible, good tips, good co-workers sociable crowd

Cons

Unprofessional management who will always put business needs above yours, don't mind rotering you full time hours during your exam period if they need you.

However for a part time job it does the trick- expectations of the job were met

Less turn and burn driven, less concern about labour more focus on the guest experience.

disappointing

Current Employee - Chef in High Wycombe, England
    Current Employee - Chef in High Wycombe, England

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a job opportunity..

Cons

high busy kitchen and few hours available

care more about the employees

Terrible

Former Employee - Line Chef in Fareham, England
    Former Employee - Line Chef in Fareham, England

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No Pros, Big flop, Horrible Company dont get involved with them

Cons

Bullying, Harassment, Poor Pay, Bad food

Dont get power crazy

A great company to work for, as a part time student

Current Employee - Dub Dub in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Dub Dub in Sheffield, England

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff discount is great, plus as a student, management help you work hours around school time. Plus its easy to pick up extra/swap shifts with other members of staff. Tip can also double your wage.

Cons

Standard pay is pretty low plus can be very draining in busy time periods.

Excellent experience and great fun

Former Employee - Waitress in Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Waitress in Southampton, England

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

loved the job I did and people I worked with.
    Different things happened every day - never got boring

Cons

Dealing with unhappy customers was quite hard.

Every company has it's pros and cons

Former Employee - Server in London, England
    Former Employee - Server in London, England

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

The best reasons to work at Fridays would be the flexibility of your work schedule, energetic atmosphere and ability to make good tips especially during the holidays. There certainly can be a feeling of camaraderie within the store.

Cons

Some of the cons would be lack of available hours "out of season". I ended up averaging well under 30 hours per week (over a year) while being contracted full time. Being stretched extremely thin with too few staff on shift. All "Service Charge" was removed last year, including large parties. Frequently, a party of 20 can take up your entire section and night while not tipping a dime, causing you to loose out a nights hard work. Most con's com from head office management and not the local store.

Many obvious changes have been made since Carlson taking TGI Friday's back under their ownership. It has become mush less employee oriented and strictly about profit. This is the reason I left as well as several others that I know of. Bare bones staff on shifts, being stretched extremely thin while being asked to cut the number of working hours to only 3-4 days per week. At the same time record profits were announced.

Great Training

Current Employee - Waiter in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Waiter in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Company is on the forefront of training and sale theory

Cons

Fast at ideas... Slow at putting the ideas to work.

WORST MANAGEMENT

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

your team will be amazing! there are a ton of great servers at Fridays and you'll really understand the value of teamwork.

Cons

Management sucks! They are literally insane. Sure we are salesman but we cant force people to buy food it becomes annoying.

Get it together. A lot of you have so much up your selves that you forget that us servers are people too.

Coupons Coupons Coupons .Warrington.

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Great management team -- give or take a few managers
    Friendly co workers -- everyone gets along
    Understanding staff --- everyone is willing to answer any questions

This place isn't totally bad despite what it may say in my cons --- it's a great place to learn how to serve but if you already have experience serving I suggest you find some where else to really capitalize on your gains. The coupons are killers --- even if all of the managers agreed there is NOTHING they can do about the coupons. That's a corporate concern and unfortunately we get killed with them.

Cons

coupons

There are thousands of coupons and the customers tend to tip off of the discounted price

Disorganized--- people get triple sat (sat with three tables at once) all of the time and they tend to schedule people all of the holidays. As opposed to working Christmas and not New Year's Eve/ day.

Scheduling is frustrating because you must really take off two weeks in advance and if you didn't know about something two weeks in advance its hard to find someone to cover for you.

Secret shops --- also a HUGE frustration because even though you complain (or ask to not be triple sat) you get sat like this anyway and it's near impossible to greet all of those tables within the 30second greeting period which effects the shop and you get written up for a bad shop. It's also difficult when the food checks are running 40 minutes and they send out some of the food, not all. AND when the bar doesn't have glassware and can't make your drinks. Very disorganized making it hard to do the "Friday's service style" which you BETTER LEARN TO DO RELENTLESSLY AT EVERY SINGLE TABLE.

Good or Bad depending on the person

Former Employee - Waitress in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Waitress in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

You definitely get great tips especially on Friday night, I averaged around 40-50 dollars a night (I was still new) while some of my associates were at 100-120 a night. All the associates are fun people and management was very nice and understanding whenever I made a mistake. It was very easy to call out when I had an emergency and I was not penalized or yelled at for it. Good work is always recognized. Management team worked hard to ensure that the waitstaff knew their stuff and was not clueless. My trainers did great working with me and answering all my questions. The job was literally right down the street almost walking distance.

Cons

Long long nights. Sometimes I would not get home until 2:30-3am. My schedule was never correct like it would say 4-10 but I would really be closing which means i didn't get off at 10 but at 1:30. Long hours is the only con for this place. Often times I was not told when I was cut. So I would take an extra 2 tables and had already been off but thats not really bad because hey more tips.

Make sure to tell the server when they will be getting off as much as you possibly can. I know sometimes with restaurants its hard to tell who will be cut but at least a notice would be helpful.