T. Rowe Price

Updated 22 January 2015
3.6

T. Rowe Price President, CEO, and Director James A. C. Kennedy
James A. C. Kennedy

Pros
  • The company offers great work life balance, benefits, stock purchasing, etc (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefits and comfortable work environment (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • headset policy is cumbersome, even for a call center) (in 15 reviews)

• Impact to ability to have appropriate work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice people, no opportunities for career development

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, nice people, nice office facilities (the sort of thing you take for granted until you go to work somewhere with much older computers etc).

Cons

No career development opportunities - people who 'play the game' and spend more of their time brown-nosing than actually working or managing get promoted, while other internal candidates who have worked at the company for years are put through massive hoops (20 plus interviews for an internal promotion) and then passed over. NB - I am not referring to myself. Also, the organisational structure and the way my department operated meant there were no opportunities for career development and in fact the job wasn't even how it was advertised when I applied for it so I ended up working here for a couple of years and very quickly finding I was disappointed and stagnating. But for people who are in the right sort of teams with the opportunity for career advancement - or you have the sort of personality that means you will get ahead regardless - it is a good company to work for.

Look at organisational structures and career development opportunities or you will continue losing staff

Very good company, strong internship program

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at T. Rowe Price as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, very "nice" managerial staff, not as intimidating as a NY firm

Cons

Slow (in terms of interviewing process)

Terrific place to work

Current Employee - Personal Services Client Manager in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price

Pros

Excellent company to work for- good reputation, great training, and a lot of opportunity to move up within the company. I wouldn't have left had I not moved out of state.

Cons

Mandatory overtime during busy season.

Great Start

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

I have been working at T. Rowe Price

Pros

Excellent people who have a dedication to learning and growth. The attention to detail was paramount. My superiors were very kind and always prepared to answer my questions.

Cons

There was a fairly substantial learning curve.

Keep it up!

Retirement Plan Coordinatir

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, great starter job, availability to hop departments and become licensed. Excellent training programs.

Cons

10 people in line to replace you. You are 100% replaceable. Salary is not competitive and merit increases are laughable.

Compensation - this needs to be realistic

Good for someone right out of high school to get experience, but not a career

Current Employee - PSC Representative
    Current Employee - PSC Representative

I have been working at T. Rowe Price

Pros

This company does have good health insurance and the retirement benefits are better than most.

Cons

There is a high school mentality that stems across the RPS department. If your not part of the click or the popular you aren't in line for any kind of promotion or any consideration even if you have the credentials to support it. Also, expect to be micromanaged and watched heavily and constantly. One last point, this is just another customer service job... Even if you are correct/accurate in your position the client will always be right and you are wrong...you never seem to be able to win. Pay is also about $5-$10k lower than competitors in the same industry.

There are a lot of talented people out there but you will never now if you don't give your employees the chance and hire/promote based on how much you like them and if they fit your mold. One last suggestion, but stop micromanaging. For an institution who has such a high turn around, you be surprised how many people will stay and go above and beyond for you if you let them do the job you originally hired them to do.

50/50

Current Employee - Retail Service Associate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Service Associate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price

Pros

Paid training,good benefits,easy to get hired

Cons

Opportunity to advance is based on social status

Great Company with Tons of Growth Potential

Current Employee - Client Manager in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid OT, Excellent Benefits, Good work/life balance, Strong public image

Cons

Micromanagement, Limited Upward mobility at offsite locations

Retirement Specialist

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Owings Mills, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Owings Mills, MD (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price

Pros

Great benefits, professional and friendly culture, room for growth. Professional and self-development is important to leadership. Great place to start your career. Great training programs.

Cons

Low Salary. I think it is sad they are an investment firm that teach about the importance of out pacing inflation and annual merit increases are lower than 3%. You can not out pace inflation by staying in a position for longer than a year. You have to move around the company to have a significant salary increase. This makes it hard for leadership because of the turnover.

You will need to increase annual merit increases if you want to retain talent.