TASC Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
2.8

TASC President and Chief Executive Officer John Hynes
John Hynes

Pros
  • Very good benefits, flexible work schedule (in 7 reviews)

• TASC also recognizes work-life balance is important to employee retention (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the divestment from Northrop Grumman TASC has lost its identity (in 12 reviews)

• Middle/senior management less enlightened than C Team (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

TASC in the final stretch

I have been working at TASC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For a long time TASC enjoyed the reputation as being among the best in its field. Smart people. Great opportunities to grow. Interesting work. For over 40 years, it has been a great place to work.

Cons

Since being spun off from Northrop Grumman in 2007, it has suffered a slow demise. Sad to see it come to an end.

Keep open lines of communication in the coming days of transition. You owe that to your loyal workforce.

Good company in a tough market.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Lorton, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Lorton, VA (US)

I have been working at TASC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong support for professional development and education. Good but eroding benefits. Work is rewarding and compensation is at or above market.

Cons

Defense sector is under strong downward pressure. Contracts are becoming few and far between. Lots of turnover and competition. If you are looking for a long term, stable job this may not be the best market to be in. TASC has experienced significant losses and has contracted. Reductions in the support staff may have gone too far as it is now difficult to get corporate support for everyday business functions.

Focus on your core business and stop chasing every opportunity that pops up. Don't over due the overhead cuts as they have begun to impact the direct labor execution. Take care of the people you have.

My Group Is Great To Work In But Medical Benefits Are Very Poor

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA (US)

I have been working at TASC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Company is focused on training and development and communicates this to employees by providing training. Managers are involved with employees in my group. People are the reason I took a job with TASC.

Cons

Since TASC was bought by the investment bankers, Medical Benefits are EXTREMELY expensive. Onboarding for new employees verges on unethical behavior due to inability to get enrolled on the TASC website. As in most companies, annual reviews are waste of time for the employee but provide legal coverage for the company in the event of an employee issue. Pay raises are small to non-existent.

Stop saying do more with less. That line was passed 2 years ago. If you want something done, provide the resources to do it. The internal TASC website is among the Worst I have ever seen for any website (difficult to find anything useful, need 20 different passwords to navigate on those rare occasions when you might find what you are looking for).

TASC is a good place to work but the environment has changed drastically over the last 10 years.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at TASC full-time

Pros

Great mid and low level interactions between employees. Highest caliber direct charge employees.

Cons

High Stress levels. Minimal corporate support for morale building events. Continually changing expecttions from the senior leadership perspectives producing confusion and stress. Corporate reorganizations are frequent. No apparent strategic vision.

Get out and informally walk around a bit - get back in touch with the employees.

Growth inducing

Current Employee - Section Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Section Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ (US)

I have been working at TASC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great support of personnel
    Best education benefits ($10K/yr college, unlimited$ for certifications)
    Good CEO

Cons

Middle/senior management less enlightened than C Team
    Contracting federal market

Develop a real strategy for your training program instead of buzzword certificate chasing.

Negative work environment

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at TASC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting classified projects, good salaries and benefits

Cons

Academy Mafia...Cookie-cutter, white, conservative, Christian-Zealot environment. Co-workers were unfriendly, withheld pertinent information, tried to upstage other members of the team in Senior-Level meetings and openly touted their religious beliefs.

Keep your PM's under tighter control. Working in a SCIF, does not excuse inappropriate behavior.

Reinvention

I have been working at TASC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of smart people and good ideas.

Cons

After the split from Northrop Grumman there have been some hard challenges the company is going through to reinvent it self.

Customer focused, results oriented

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at TASC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for consulting and gaining experience in client environment

Cons

New Medical plan changes involving large deductibles

Need more collaboration with onsite staff and a more structured goals setting that includes personal objectives

Not friendly

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at TASC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nonetheless I don't want yo work there

Cons

Low confidence I'll have a job for long

Less taking care of senior mgmt

Excellent Place to Work

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Stafford, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Stafford, VA (US)

I worked at TASC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great place to work, provides ongoing training in many technical and business topic areas. Very good benefits, flexible work schedule. A well-respected company in the DoD and DHS sectors. Very professional work environment that promotes high ethical standards.

Cons

None that pertain to employer-employee relationship. I was there one year two months and did not experience much of any negative situations. Only thing to complain about was there corporate policy on PCs was tightly locked down. Not what most software developers want to have. I ended up having to carry around two laptops - one for corporate connectivity that was locked down and another open laptop for my daily work that I could install my favorite (paid and licensed) development tools on.