TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

TD Ameritrade President, CEO & Director Fred Tomczyk

Fred Tomczyk

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you want to leave the office promptly at 5(in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits outside of salary(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No sick pay, multiple upper management positions for single teams, TPS reports(in 12 reviews)

• I have no idea why some reviews suggest there is a good work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

My experience with TDA has been a long and positive experience.

ProsTD Ameritrade is a very good company to work for. Their benefits package rivals most large corporations. Leadership within the operations/technology business units are competent and flexible. TDA currently has 5 core values which they strive to follow everyday.

ConsHR can be a little restrictive. They will speak in vague terms such as "industry standard" and such when limiting or eliminating certain needs that an associate may have.

sales

Prosgood work life balance, innovative products, fun culture- great people

Consbenefits are terrible, and routes are limited if you don't want to manage people

TD Ameritrade is a great wholesome company to work for

Financial Representative Broker (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsProfessional, open door, lots of associate engagment, and overall very open to helping you advance in which ever career path you decide to go with

ConsThe series 7 is difficult to obtain. Also usually have to stay in postion for 6-12 months before attempting to move to another one.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company.

Investment Consultant (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsFast paced. great pay. ok benefits

Consthey are moving towards a metric based performance. Call time, dials etc... it is beginning to feel micro managed. overall still bearable

Advice to Senior Managementstop trying to move towards micro management

Good experience, room for advancement if you perform

Relationship Ma (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsThey treat there employees well and try and take good care of them. They were flexible with me when I needed time off.

ConsThe pay was fair but I had a terrible commute. You are really a customer service rep and not a RM.

Program execution

ProsVery focused, clear direction, quick results and feedback

ConsHard to bring focus on long term strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization could benefit from a focus on leadership coaching

Fun

ProsGreat work environment, team's are always engaged and have fun together

ConsTeam gatherings seem redundant and not a lot really gets done during them

Awesome place to work with Awesome people!

Project Coordinator (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThe best thing about this place is that it is not your standard '9-5'. There isn't a clock that you punch in and out of, the people you work with end up being more like family as there are always events outside of work like Habitat for Humanity or other community events. The compensation is reasonable and managers truly have an open door policy.

ConsHonestly, I never found anything bad about working at TD Ameritrade, there may have been one or two people that I didn't mix well with but there are so many other good people here that you don't even notice that rare person you might not like to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was great. They were fun and easy going while maintaining a professional relationship. I would've stayed here longer had I not relocated to San Francisco to return to school. I would apply in a heart beat if there was an opening today!

Dysfunctional Family

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent products and services. Sales associates can provide guidance without conflict in compensation. Good interdepartmental relationships in most cases.

ConsSenior leadership inconsistent with vision and objectives. Never clearly in line with employee productivity. Frequent random changes in objectives and needs confusing and interfering with production. Employee satisfaction surveys not acted on or addressed to meet leadership needs as opposed to employee needs. Subjectivity rampant in employee reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell your employees that shareholder value is the ONLY true current objective. Address personal agendas of senior leadership. Incredible opportunity within TD platform to increase market share with better leadership and management. Employees are aware that they are not valued.

Slow decline

Investment Consultant (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsCoworkers are great and the teamwork is second to none. The pay wasn't bad and the benefits were okay. I was promoted 4 times in 5 years, so upward mobility is possible.

Cons130% increase in sales targets for the same pay, which means more hours have to be worked. When I started 5 years ago, the employees came first, but now shareholders come first. That'd be fine and dandy, if all employees had stock options and not just senior management. Bonuses have been declining for the last 3 years and you've had layoffs, while your CEO announces a record bonus for himself(not a good idea for moral). No trails on sales, no benefit for keeping clients satisfied, encouraged to churn clients since it's the only way to get sales commissions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your turnover. The 90% retention was a bragging point in 2009 and the industry was bleeding reps. Now that it's around 70%, you might want to concentrate on retaining the talent that made it possible for you to reach those "record breaking quarters" you've been having. If a manager has 80% turnover annually, it's probably a lack of management skills and should look to replace them. You're nothing without your employees. Do not lie to your employees, EVER. I was happy for 5 years and then was lied to and promised all kinds of things in a new role that went bust in 6 months and when I mentioned I'd like to go back to my previous role, I was told "too bad".

Worked for TD Ameritrade? Contribute to the Community!