TIBCO Software

TIBCO Software Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

TIBCO Software Chairman, President, and CEO Vivek Y. Ranadivé

Vivek Y. Ranadivé

Pros:
  • "good work-life balance (may be this depends on which team you work for)"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Even though TIBCO is such a large company, the work environment is a lot like a start-up"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Those who work for TIBCO are done chasing big money unless they are very senior management"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Some roles are particularly demanding, so work-life balance is not always achievable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company who value their people

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than a year

ProsGood level of support from higher management, good money, great products & great ideas and great people

ConsDepending which product division you represent, you might find yourself representing a relatively new product to the market where your goals can be extremely hard to obtain.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue listening to your employees giving them the support that they need, that is the way forward towards success.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than a year

ProsThe good stuff - a very agile environment, with down to earth people looking for the next spurt of growth so you can grow with the company. Top of the class products and forward thinking - Spotfire is a great win for TIBCO.

ConsThe bad stuffCan feel like a fragmeneted organisation and not meritocratic - bonus pool i smainly retained by senior management and the employees get a very small bonus.
Sales strategy - focus on existing accounts...now new pipeline despite hiring hunters...very strange?
Very lean back office who are th hardest working lot in TIBCO.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow the Ugly - Pull your socks up and start thinking about your workforce and not just yourself. There is either too much fragmented process or too little of it - find the middle ground please an reward your staff as they are getting very disillusioned.

Great to work for!

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than a year

ProsFantastic opportunities and general recognition
Interesting work
Most colleagues are highly talented and great to work with

ConsSales pressure can be high
Sometimes way too much work to do
Recruitment process very slow

Big and small at the same time

Presales Solution Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLess formal structure to jobs - more opportunities to grow / demonstrate potential.
Poised at a good position in business, great growth yet to come.

ConsLess flexibility to account for location-specific policies in a globally distributed company.
Slightly unclear technical strategy or vision of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistency in vision and goals towards a longer term plan will help. Alignment of workforce to meet such goals with periodic review of performance.

Ok products but management needs to progress from the early 90's. Too much internal conflict.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at TIBCO Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Pockets of innovation and generally a good vision
- Solid sales force
- Well funded with good cash flow
- Very mature accounting and finance function
- Some very good customers due to the depth and breadth of its portfolio and lack of similar sized independent rivals
- Good place to start your career as there are lots of sideways progressions as long as it was not into management

Cons- An anti-collaborative environment that encouraged conflict between regions, product groups and sales forces that belonged to each. Senior management was against matrix sales teams and double compensation thus causing a lot of time establishing who owned an international account or which product group should get the biggest split of large deals. The effects flowed down to the lower level employees.
- Guru centric management style and very much like a family-oriented culture. i.e. if you did as was asked for you by the CEO or his small circle or generals, you will end up getting favours and progress. A very top heavy management. i.e. leaving very few career progression opportunities for non-US employees. Furthermore, real authority was never really given to the lower level mangers and business decisions were always made by a very few people and US centric views of the world.
- No transparent nor peer based form of career management or performance feedback tied to base salary increases. This process was ah-hoc. No discussion or committee based ratings were taken into account. (Non-sales people)

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to be less about the ego or wealth of a very few people and more about the customers, products and employees. The company seems to be a vehicle for the founders/management to justify their lavish lifestyle.

Great products,

Senior Accounts Executive (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at TIBCO Software full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat innovative products, fast moving company

ConsRate of acquisitions is high, de-stabilises product strategy and organisation

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to employees and customers

The best pure play integration company in the market

PS Practice Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at TIBCO Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent Products and ability to execute is high

ConsInternal politics means that the best people do not always succeed

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building a culture of trust

Great company to work for

Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee)
City of London, England

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than a year

ProsProgressive company with a management ethos that you are good as your track record says, not your last sale. Mature leadership with truly cutting edge market solutions. Great growth potential

ConsPossible aquisition target by an Oracle. Top level management do tend to live in an ivory tower, Marketing is poor and inside sales is worse

Advice to Senior ManagementMarketing is not event management. Maketing is brand leadership, working on the investor community, having a client reference program. Re-align Inside Sales with Sales, not reporting to marketing

Nice and easy workplace

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at TIBCO Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- casual, easy-going and flexible
- excellent direct manager
- good package
- good teamwork

Cons- cooperative structure
- bureaucratic
- no culture outside working tasks
- somehow technology not the best in the market

Advice to Senior Managementavoid bureaucracy, focus on excel.

Good to develop career, but don't expect a work-life balance

Solutions Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at TIBCO Software

Pros- Good to learn about TIBCO products which is a commodity skill in the current market hence very good career prospects if you have a few years of experience
- Good payer including car allowance
- Get to travel the world
- Work is varied and you work with big companies
- Smart people to learn lots from...if they have the time

Cons- Long hours i.e. timing is pretty flexible but because of the amount of stress, pressure and unrealistic tight deadlines and on average 1-2 resources per project, you can't afford to come and go when you like. Hence depending on the type of person you are, you probably come before 9 into the office, you will definitely leave some time between 7pm - 9pm and then likely do some more work at home because you don't want to get in trouble for delivering late. Work-free weekends you can completely forget about. These don't exist in the company, expect to do a few hours over each weekend both days. Expect at least 1 e-mail from your project manager over the weekend to ask for progress updates, answer any of your questions or ask you questions.
- Don't expect any recognition from management for your hard efforts or long hours. You're expected to do this.
- Taking holidays is discouraged and seen as a bad thing. You are likely to get approval, but with a disappointing facial expression.
- No sympathy for those with a family. Expect to stay away from family some times for weeks.
- The more senior you are, the more the management will listen to you even if you make big mistakes. The smaller guys account for failures.
- Tons of pressure, stress and responsibility and little time. I have nearly reached my annual hours target of roughly 1600hs in 7 months. As there are usually only a couple of resources even on the toughest projects, you have to do these hours in order to deliver. So if you are into some sports or so, you can cancel your membership the day you join the company. Probably that's why they don't offer the company benefit of paying towards any kind of gym membership.
- All that counts is the delivery, not you or your personal life. The toughest organisation I have worked for and heard of.
- If you are behind a deadline, from your project manager to the head of the department all will have a serious word with you. It may not be your mistake, but you will get the blame anyway. In addition, your project manager will literally be standing on your head and asking for progress updates at least once a day, although 2-3 times a day is more likely.
- You have the opportunity to take as much training on TIBCO products as you like, but you won't have the time so don't bother booking any training. Just a tip to help you save a few minutes in case you decide to join the company anyway.
- Work expectations are unrealistic and very high. Because you have the ability to read complex stuff therefore you are expected to become an expert with an unfamiliar product within at most a week. Then go on a project and deliver an expert solution within another unrealistic, under-staffed project. If you don't, you are seen as a failure and dumb person.

The company has driven me to my upmost limits within just a few months after joining them. Think about your decision at least a few times before joining them unless, of course, you are a workaholic and have no personal life - this company's work culture would be the perfect for you.

Advice to Senior Management- Don't just do training on TIBCO products, but attend some HR management courses to treat workers better and respect them for their hard efforts.
- Recruit more people so that people can have a work-life balance...and remove that benefit from the careers webpage till then.
- Get more realistic about work expectations. No one can be a product expert in less than a week and then deliver a fully working solution by themselves or just another person.

Worked for TIBCO Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TIBCO Software reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TIBCO Software CEO Vivek Y. Ranadivé. All 327 reviews are posted anonymously by TIBCO Software employees.