TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated 18 October 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible hours, okay environment, some nice people, and okay employee discount (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 53 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job while in school

Current Employee - Cross Trained Associate in Kalispell, MT (US)
    Current Employee - Cross Trained Associate in Kalispell, MT (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, okay environment, some nice people, and okay employee discount.

Cons

Managers don't always show integrity, can be unnecessarily rude, high turnover rate, and will higher almost anyone including alcoholics (occasionally tipsy at work) and perverts.

Stop preaching about integrity while you show none, don't yelling at us to ask everyone to sign up for a dumb rewards credit card, don't promote idiots that steal money or quit within a month, and stop being mad if my college hours decrease my work availability.

Get to see things first

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best pro is being able to see the new things coming into the store and being able to have first pick. Get paid every Friday and the ability to cash your check at the cashier is awesome!

Cons

They really expect a lot of work and only pay flat line minimum. On your feet the entire time, only get a 15 minute break.

Have a better break room, you expect employees to work like slaves, at least provide a nice break room.

My overall experience has been positive.

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Evansville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Evansville, IN (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement. The benefits package they offer is one of the best I have ever had.

Cons

It requires a lot of flexibility and you put in a ton of hours.

Positive Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commack, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commack, NY (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time

Pros

10% sometimes 20% discounts
    Friendly customer service
    Employees feel appreciated
    Everyone is treated equally which leads to great culture and increased morale in the workplace (no favoritism)
    Paid vacation and personal time
    Easy to get promoted to the top
    Great quality and selection of merchandise
    No "empty promises"
    Hours are flexible

Cons

Nothing wrong about working here

Keep up the good work!

retail, pricing, inventory, cash transactions, zoning, hanging, proper sensoring on merchandise,

Current Employee - Cashier in Newnan, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Newnan, GA (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

everyone in the working environment works together as a team and it makes your job easier

Cons

when customers try to make returns of items that don't belong to our store and having to let them know that we are not able to take it can sometimes be a problem because the customer will sometimes pick an argument with u and if it gets out of hand then definitely call a manager to take over

they treat all employees fear I love working with them

TJ Maxx gave me the chance at a career.

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Open communication; 45-50 hour work week; Unlimited potential for advancement; Recognition of hard work, motivation and determination.

Cons

Moving from Merch Manager to Operations Manager is considered a lateral move, even though it comes with a lot more responsibilities, so it doesn't come with a pay increase.

All in all, my experience with TJ Maxx has been very positive. Most co-workers have been very agreeable and the work environment makes leaving my family every day bearable. Given the opportunity, I can see myself making great advancements within the company. Thank you for the opportunity!

Would recommend

Former Employee - Everything in Garner, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Everything in Garner, NC (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a fun place to work. I liked my coworkers and managers.

Cons

Having to get credit apps is annoying. There are no raises or advancement opportunities. This job would probably work well for a college student in between or teenagers needing extra cash. You won't make a living wage.

I wouldn't suggest working here

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There itsnt really much pros, it's like you just have to deal with what ever you go through at this job.

Cons

Dealing with returns from customers, customers attitudes, trying to keep the store clean but keep getting called to the register because they don't have enough people on the schedule

Do a better job

experience as an employee

Former Employee - Backroom Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Backroom Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its not difficult or stressful

Cons

The challenges that I had working there is for example, one week they will give me 25 hours and the next two weeks only 8 hours for the entire week sometimes it was as worst as only 4 hours in the entire week. My availability was always "Anytime" and I was trained for couple departments and knew how to do everything besides registers. Another thing is that I applied to be at the front registers and I was pushed to backroom that included me coming all the time at 6 am....I was promised several times that I was going to be getting trained at the registers and after a year of working there faithfully with no call offs I stopped asking. My store had no problem ordering pizza and subs every other week but when I will ask why I am only getting 4 hours in one week I was told that the funds are not there.

When Someone applies for a job for part time you should be able to give them at least 25 hours a week, when people apply in the expectations that they will be working full time and you dont even give them 30 hours, then you should expect that your most faithful worker will have enough one day and quit like I did. I will never go to the stop to shop either, thats how upset I am.

Typical, low-paying clothing and housewares retail job.

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

A decent employee discount and other staff members were often friendly and pleasant to work with. Working there also means you may get first dibs on new merchandise or markdowns.

Cons

Terrible, ever-changing schedule; rude customers; constantly having to clean up a perpetually disorganized store; underpaid for effort. This is not a job for anyone who has a real work ethic and cares about what they do - your efforts will go unappreciated by managers and customers alike.

TJ Maxx Photos