TJ Maxx

www.tjmaxx.com
Profile Unclaimed

It was fun, and interesting. Now it's unorganized and overwhelming.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kissimmee, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kissimmee, FL (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discounts, Laid back workplace, Flexible hours

Cons

Unorganized, Rude members, Not enough pay for the amount of labor.

Organization. Needs to be more friendly.

Retail isn't that serious

Former Employee - Backroom Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Backroom Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, very understanding if you needed to leave early or not come in a certain day. Family feel meetings, with free food. Nice and mostly helpful co-workers. Great for kids in high school or college who live with their parents and just need some extra cash. Oh yeah, and 10% discount, sometimes 20%.

Cons

Management were overly obnoxious. I worked in back room a lot and managers would come back to ask us to work the floor. Then 30 minutes find us and confront us about the work in the back not being done. They were always pushing you to sell credit cards that people really don't need. Just saying.

Not to management but to the company. Get rid of those credit cards. I didn't like trying to harass the customers for things they didn't want.

Okay job for a high school student

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, MD (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very simple work: Maintaining a friendly atmosphere in the store while serving the customers at the cash register, the jewelry counter, the fitting room, and on the sales floor. Recovering merchandise at the end of the day.
    Good basic retail experience for someone looking to go into sales. Important skills: customer service, communication with customers, dealing with stress.

Cons

Hours can be rather unpredictable, even for long-time employees. They claim to have opportunities for advancement, but the only full-time employees are supervisors and members of management, so it's hard to make long term plans. Very few employees seem to want to stay after a few months, so the workplace environment is always changing.

With good managers, this is a great place to work. Unfortunately, during the time that I have been working here, the management has changed several times. I am a soon-to-be college grad, but I don't feel as if I would have much chance of planning a life around my work here. Extending my available hours doesn't allow me more hours to work, it just means that the hours I work are more unpredictable. I feel sometimes as though the more recent employees get better hours than the people who have been working more consistently.

Tough crowd

I have been working at TJ Maxx

Pros

Nice environment
    Great value for customers

Cons

Little or no career advancement opportunities
    Poor communication
    Poor dissemination of correct store policies

ASMs needs to fully trained to with the correct store policies and not just going by what the store manager (regardless if you're there for 20+ years) says how things be done. There are too many misuse of information being passed around regarding policies and procedures.

Very little chance to advance at this store, even though they show videos to associates and advertise growth in company

Current Employee - Floor Associate
    Current Employee - Floor Associate

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn retail, cashiering, how to process new inventory and set up features. Can learn new or improve on current job skills. Learn to work with a team of associates. Helpful at developing customer service skills.

Cons

Really no chance to advance and grow in company. They promise it, but they still hire new people for advance positions and better pay when they have several very good associates that qualify and want those positions. Managers always have a 'grass is always greener' mentality over new hires that chronically never work out. Lousy annual pay raises. Rude sloppy customers. Coordinators fighting with other coordinators that slack on the job and put associates in between their fight.

Listen to the many long time experienced employees concerns. Check in on Coordinators when you leave them in charge and see what they really are like when you are away.

Experience depends on who is managing and location

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Flexible hours, worked with good co-workers

Cons

Communications with management needs improvement.

Ok for a first job

Former Employee - Fitting Room Associate in Germantown, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Fitting Room Associate in Germantown, TN (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Lunch provided
    easy to take time off
    weekly pay

Cons

Low pay
    Not enough hours
    understaffed
    unorganized managers

Be more organized and increase the staff. You can't put 5 people on schedule and think things will get done.

Customer Service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedules - Even if you are scheduled on a day you want off its easy to give away shifts or swap them
    Management Staff - At my location seemed fair and reasonable, rules were clear cut
    Support - If you get a second job, death in the family, a hurricane comes, they rearrange your schedule, give you time off pay you for days missed, relax the attendance and lateness policy while public transportation gets back on track.

Cons

They pay minimum wage.
    The customers are nasty - they have horrible attitudes and they make terrible messes that every one has to stay hours after to clean up. Closing time might be 9 but you leave after 10 sometimes 11 cleaning up the mess.

Pay your associates better they work very very very hard

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Good place to work at. Great experience for retail marketing. Checks come on every week. Friendly co-workers, fun place to work as a team. Every associate is assigned to specific department but everyone does almost everything.

Cons

First thing first low pay, bad schedules, store gets really messy fast. kids toy sections are not set up good.

Best retail job I had

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, there was always work to do, I had a great relationship with management and always felt like I was valued.

Cons

Pushing the credit cards, having to provide same level of service on days we knew would be busy with less staff, didn't always get the hours I needed.

Continue to value your employees and maintain the family-like atmosphere-it was a great job, but near the end it felt like I wasn't as valued as I had been.

TJ Maxx Photos