TJX Companies Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
3.1

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme (in 18 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard to Move Up

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Framingham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TJX has a lot of pros. Overall, they have an amazing home office with a lot of perks like two gyms, an amazing cafeteria, and a indoor golfing range. Also since it is so big you have a really wonderful sense of community. They also provide very good benefits and 401K opportunities.

Cons

They cons are great. I found the company to be very hard to move up in. They also gave some of the worst raises I have ever gotten. I would have a wonderful review and a really bad raise and the excuses was always "we are an off price retailer". I never got that since they were making millions all over the world.

Have better opportunities to move up and give more realistic raises.

I enjoyed working here, helping the customers and working with the associates.

Former Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator  in  Swansea, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in Swansea, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can be persuasive in getting customers to open credit cards. Managers always call on me especially if customers have a huge purchase. It's about customer retention and keeping them happy.

Cons

Promotion. Promotions were given to under staff members with little or no educational or experience. My manager was 23 years old but I like her very much..

Management should really work hard to retain dedicated workers.

Empty

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They will promote from within.

Cons

They do not pay their workers and they put a lot on you for that little pay and they really bring cutting payroll to a whole NEW level, to a point that their customers suffer because they never have enough employees in a store to complete task all at once. Always pulling a employee from this a job to go do another job, leaving a customer to suffer or another job incomplete.

Step in and help out more. District manager should stop cutting payroll or company as a hold and sales would be even better. When you have the staffing to help the customers to make a better informed decision they will buy more, therefore covering payroll.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only good if you're one of the favorites!

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stability, Schedule, Development... Learned a lot from training seminars and meetings. Loved what I did for the most part.

Cons

Not a good place to work if you are the type to ask why, to push back, to question things. Also not 100% equal rights... they claim to be but it's a different story when you work there. If you were not one of the favorites, you were not treated equally.

Keep personal opinions out of your professional decisions.

ok

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time

Pros

Work From Home, Sick leave and weekly salary

Cons

less salary than market and no bounces......

don't pay off price salary

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Idaho Falls, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Idaho Falls, ID (US)

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to learn better customer service and learn to work in a public place and be involved with the community.

Cons

The management was not the best. The main manager needed to learn not only customer service skills but also how to talk to their employees.

Learn how to talk to your employees in a professional manner without degrading them.

Just don't do it

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k for FT and PT, benefits for FT after 1 year, PTO for FT and PT

Cons

pay is not equal to the amount of work, managers are very disrespectful and treat employees like they don't matter,talk bad about associates behind their backs, and seem to only care about themselves/their store.

learn how to treat your associates with respect. the company always talks about the bottom line.....well bottom line is, store associates are the ones making you rich while they continue making minimum wage and are told they aren't doing enough. store managers
    are crazy and practically eat sleep and breathe marshalls/tjmaxx etc. it's just a store people....stop stepping on people to reach your goals

Why you should think twice about working for the TJX companies.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They have a very reasonable work schedule, with most managers only working 45 - 50 hours a week, including holidays. They have a very good benefits package. They have a very casual atmosphere. They have a very flexible time-off policy. Your sick time and your vacation time are two separate accounts.

Cons

As an assistant manager, you have very little control over the decisions in your building. You expected to work in all areas of the store without limiting yourself to a "title", yet are still held accountable for the responsibilities of that title, whether or not you are given the time to work in your assigned areas. If you have a underperforming store manager, you are expected to take up the slack for their short-comings. Therefore you put yourself in the position of having credit taken from you for the good things and blame placed on you for the bad. If you are a good manager, and have a special project, you are given little or no extra payroll, because you can work with those restrictions, so you are basically punished for being good at your job. Payroll is based on the amount of merchandise you receive rather than on your sales, but there is no accurate system to track the amount of merchandise you receive. The Paid-time-off system has a ceiling for the amount of sick time you can accumulate, and you cannot role over your vacation time.

There needs to be a better review system, other than simply the opinion of the district manager. As it stands now, the ability to be promoted is based on whether or not the DM likes you rather than on your performance. There is not any system of accountability for the store managers in place. Anonymous surveys by the assistants and associates would allow you to get a more accurate view of the SMs performance, instead of leaving it up to the subjective opinion of a single person. The way the training system is set up for managers has it based on the honor system, so there is a very good chance that trainees that are less than honest or SMEs that are overworked and under a lot of pressure to pass the trainees are allowing untrained managers to go into the store.

Break time and co-workers made it worth it

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have built friendships with co-workers, and they give more break time than most companies (for a typical 8 hour work day, you have a 45 AND a half).

Cons

Customers, Management, Management needs to all stick to one return policy

Share the same policy ideas, do not bend the rules differently.

Pretty decent

Current Employee - Allocation Analyst  in  Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to start your career; excellent training program.

Cons

Salary is barely competitive compared to the cost if living in the area.

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!