TUI Travel

Add Photos

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long

Peter Long

Great Place to work.

Business Architect (Former Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

ProsGreat corporate culture. I worked in the head office as a business analyst and everyone from the cleaners to high level management had a commitment to the company and its goals. People working together on the surprisingly complex task of delivering quality hoidays to people at affordable prices. Full of really nice looking people (regardless of your preferences) as well!

ConsWhilst the corporate culture is great, the corporation as a whole was prone to fairly major and rapid mood swings. Things would seem to go from very positive to very negative dpending on individual news items and current world wide events. Admittedly I was there for the tsunami in which th company lost both clients and employees, however the reactive nature of the workplace went way beyond that understandble reactiuon to a shocking incident. Small news items would lead to big chnages in policy only to have them changed back again a few days later.

Advice to Senior ManagementA longer field of vision would lead to less corporate fire fighting.

Great experience for young people looking to work abroad

Chalet Host (Former Employee) Les Deux Alpes (France)

ProsProvides the opportunity to work with like-minded people in some of the best winter and summer holiday destinations in Europe and beyond.
    Necessities ranging from accommodation to insurance are arranged for you prior to departure so you don't have to worry.
    Interacting with a wide range of guests allows you to make a lot of new friends.

ConsOften work long, hard hours and following the deductions receive very little income. Not a problem if you are are happy just about breaking even but definitely not a money maker!

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure in-resort managers make the effort to integrate with their team. The knowledge that you are working for a manager that you like and who cares about you provides inspiration when the going gets tough.

Very good experience overall but recent changes make it difficult to consider as a long-term career.

Resort Team Leader (Former Employee) Fethiye, Mugla (Turkey)

ProsYou get the feeling that you are an important part of the company, no matter what role you are in. Management make sure that you get recognised and rewarded for good work and there are always opportunities to progress in the company. There is a great lifestyle away from work and you get to see and experience some amazing places around the world, not to mention all of the people you will meet along the way.

ConsThe job can be quite demanding and in some resorts you can find yourself really stretched due to staff shortages. Some managers will get stuck in and help out with any task but others can be very distant and leave some team members neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that management are prepared to help out at lower levels when required.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great fun until it isn't any more...

Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) Innsbruck (Austria)

ProsTravel, living in wonderful locations, the chance to live in a completely different culture and have a life that isn't possible in the UK even for a season.

ConsManagement are a bit cliquey in the country I was in. I had wonderful managers in my winter roles, but a specific manager in the summer was not honest with me until she realised that I had an intention of continuing to work for the company for a longer time, at which point she made clear she didn't like me and thought I couldn't do my job despite me having been there for a year and a half already. At this point the whole experience took a turn for the worse and the enjoyment disappeared. It is impossible to continue working in a country where you know very few people when management are making your life hell, although other managers were very supportive it was never in front of the manager in question so at to not disturb the clique.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeasonal staff would stay more if their PDRs were taken seriously and dealt with honestly, the room for growth in the seasonal industry is great for those that want to utilise it, but not telling staff how you really think they are doing helps no-one.

Good Fun

Overseas Holiday Advisor (Former Employee) Salou (Spain)

ProsSun and more often than not, sea and sand....The initial training is fantastic as soon as you get to your destination or even if you have training at a different venue. Once you then get to your resort you get a fantastic overview of the whole resort and all the excursions you are going to sell as you get to go on them all before you start selling!
    Once you are out in your resort and within your team you become a new family and everyone is there to help each other but also to have fun with work.
    You get to meet some fantastic people who can even be your guests. You get to know people very well over a short space of time as you are constantly seeing and chatting to them.
    Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic. If you get all the right results throughout the season you can also often get to choose where you really want to go for the following season(s).

ConsThe living arrangements can often be less than expected. You can often be overlooked for the good work that you put in and rewards that are supposed to be given are often overlooked and forgotten.
    Also some management can not listen to your needs and preferences when you have a certain type of work you would like to do in a resort they may not listen and not give you your preferences.
    The caps on commission can be disheartening as when you hit the top bracket you have no incentive to keep on going above as there is little to no incentive to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your staff as often if preferences are given to staff they can be much happier and work much better. Also living accommodation should be looked at in a lot of resorts to check if they are still adequate for modern living as many I have been placed in are not!
    HA commission should match that of the 2wentys reps as there would be much more incentive to not stop at 20% above target as there is only £10 more per 10% above - There is no point trying to get any higher which is a poor way to run the business as the more money we bring in even if you do give us more money the more you will earn.

It was amazing

Children's Representative (Former Employee) Los Cristianos (Spain)

ProsGreat opportunities, memories that will last a lifetime, make new friends

ConsHard work sometimes, got to be motivated

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are fantastic

This job opened up so many great opportunities for me to explore, learn and develop through an amazing summer!

Children's Representative (Former Employee) Cales de Majorca (Spain)

ProsYou can travel the world and meet some amazing people!

ConsBeing away from home and the accommodation wasn't anything to shout about!

Things don't move fast

Web Developer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsRelaxed atmosphere. People aren't very strict. Healthy work-life balance.

ConsIt can be hard to get things done, like working with HR and figuring out the bureaucracy.

Wonderful product, passionate co workers, hierarchical organisation

ProsFun product (holidays), great co workers

ConsMedium level salaries, unmature HR

An international experience with many exciting challenges

Commercial Support Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- international working environment
    - opportunity to develop and try many different types of roles
    - dynamic and result driven company

Cons- as it is a large organisation, the internal politics can be inefficient and time consuming
    - although it is an international environment it is still challenging to move roles across businesses if you do not know the right people. (HR have limited visibility, motivation to work across businesses and markets)

Advice to Senior Management- continue to challenge yourselves
    - evaluate/analyse cost savings and actions better and understand what their long term impact will be for the business

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!