TUI Travel

Add Photos

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long

Peter Long

Bullies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAll positives were completely and utterly crushed......

ConsLine managers bully their staff as they too are bullied. So you cannot approach anyone for help to prevent this as those above rule in a similar way.
    Targets reached so they find something else to shout about. Humiliating, upsetting, destroying, disaster of an experience.
    I quit a good job to join Tui and feel gutted I was duped from day one. False promises of what's on the horizon.
    Absolutely NO employee care whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you wish to keep staff and save on training costs. Treat them as human beings. Value their work, educate if they fail. Praise often..

Good company name, but lost their way in world of Retail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosopportunities are with this company to progress, and as a company Tui are vibrant and focussed for todays world, they are leading the way in travel with excellent Hotels and service.

ConsThe Retail enviroment is wrapped up with lots of pressure on staff. leaving them feeling exhausted , largely due to many years of cutting down staff in retail due to todays demanding world of profit, making our staff in retail feeling lots of pressure to meet company standards and left feeling under valued .

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are the core of the business, keeping them valued is making their job more enjoyable, Im afraid to say that as a company so big their only focus is the big numbers and their is no concern for base level yet all contributing to the same company in some form or another.

Empowering the Individuals

Assistant Business Partner (Current Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

ProsMarket leader, Working with all kind of characters at office and across the borders, get to see the world

Consnot enough perks like other travel companies offer their staff, which can be understandable by amount of staff TUI travel have in compare to others

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the meaning of Flexi hours

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

Pros- Very good staff
    - Solid expertise and understanding of the industry

Cons- Poor salary
    - Poor benefits
    - Lack of internal promotions
    - Incredibly erratic and knee jerk reaction to almost everything
    - Constant reshuffle of upper management
    - Massive blame game culture

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove salary, reward staff for hard work, be more measured in how you react when things aren't going well.

Unorganised, Under Paid, High Pressure

Recruitment Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsCheap Holidays (if you can get them)

ConsHigh Pressure and Under Paid, temp contracts

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Organisation with regards to job positions, offer more money for the work being done - ensure staff are on permanent contracts rather than temporary contracts

THE BEST TRAVEL INDUSTRY EMPLOYER

Beautiful destinations
    Good staff offers
    Easy working environment
    Amazing team and manager

ConsMystery shoppers are probably one of the hardest things to deal with as they really stress you out and you feel unnatural serving when knowing they are going to come.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining was great when I started and my team were fabulous. An education wouldn't go a miss as I know it really improves product knowledge.

Very effcient, very corporate, a company that seems to care about employees

Marketing Exe (Former Employee) Luton, East of England, England

ProsEfficient structure,
    Entertainment in head office
    Visionary

ConsPay
    personal growth
    company culture is ageing, not as suitable for younger 'go employees'

Advice to Senior Managementmore opportunities needed for growth in that it's quite difficult to progress, so opportunities are more likely else where

Cares far more about its shareholders than its staff

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Brighton, England

ProsSome very talented and likeable individuals whom I've learnt a great deal from and become great friends with.

Amazing quality and breadth of travel products across the portfolio. If you can imagine it, TUI probably offers it.

Good pay

ConsAn ageing and very archaic hierarchy with lots of office politics and a large blame culture. Slow to adopt new technology and processes across the entirety of the group. Thomson and First Choice get the big bucks and opportunities thrown at them for good TUI PR, whilst many of the other brands are antiquated and have a lot to catch up on.

Synergy and Communication - Terrible internal communication across the group resulting in disconnected activity and duplicated efforts, resulting in huge unnecessary costs. The structure of 'growth via acquisition' where each brand is managed individually means many brands were formally competitors and this results in unhealthy internal competition where brands don't like sharing their results and strategies across the group.
    Even down to things such as inductions, you receive no welcome pack or formal welcome. You're just left to your own devices to try and find what you might need on the least user-friendly intranet. There's also no up to date global contacts directory so you have to track colleagues down via your own means.

Group benefits - There was outcry why Thomas Cook slashed their benefits but they're still better than TUI's, unless you work for an individual brand. I went on one Thomson flight and didn't go on a single TUI holiday during my 3 years at TUI as it was cheaper to shop with competitors, even as a staff member.

Career progression - I hit the glass ceiling within my first roll there and it seems to be more of a case of 'who you know' than 'what you know' when it comes to promotions with a definite 'boys' club' culture. It's very cut throat and those I've seen progress within the head office functions aren't afraid to trample over others to get to where they want to be.

Members of corporate and head office functions have less sense of belonging than those working for one of the brands where staff morale is much higher.

Very poor work / life balance and office environment - very little in the way of team building exercises, staff entertainment and functions. For example we had to arrange our own Christmas parties within our team and weren't invited to other nearby Christmas parties within the group.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate more efforts on the needs of your customers and employees than the London Stock Exchange.

Creatively crushing

Designer (Former Employee)

ProsThere seems to be some good recruitment where talented individuals are hired who bring knowledge, big ideas and are always a good laugh. Industry as a whole is interesting and there's a lot of potential to experiment with new ideas and technology.

ConsOld school view of how a company should run. Minimal acceptance for anything new.
    Too many 'no' people.
    People always want something new and exciting yet seem terrified of doing anything different when it comes down to it. "Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results".
    Most ideas are trampled on.
    Always 'something' better on the horizon to appease concerns but concerns are never quite addressed.
    Little development, education or training. Minimal investment in staff.
    High turn-over of staff - Quickly lose those talented individuals.
    Politics get in the way of everything, you just can't get anything done without every level having their input (sometimes felt like people would say something for the sake of it).
    Blame culture.
    Little time given to do a good job before something else needs to be done yesterday.
    A very top heavy structure with little support for those towards the bottom.
    Seems to be lots of talk but no action. Resulting in another meeting.
    Quite often low moral.
    Ideas/Strategy seems to change as it comes down the chain of command which is confusing. Being told one thing my the most senior staff but direct management are relaying something different - occasionally the opposite?!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust those talented people you have hired to do their specialist job. Things might actually pick up if you allow people to exercise the ideas they have from time to time. Respect the fact that new ideas might fail but if something is learnt then it has been a success - allow the staff to know its ok to fail. Visibility of a sound strategy would be helpful. Invest in your staff. Invest in the culture.

Good company and travel

ProsMeet new people, travel, fun, good team

ConsSelling excursions, and guiding some excursions

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!