TUI Travel Reviews

Updated 27 March 2015
68 reviews filtered by
TUI Travel CEO Peter Long
Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• healthy working environment & good people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not support or provide enough resources to allow employees to do a great job (in 3 reviews)

• Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted (in 4 reviews)

1. Very Good Company to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

Flexible working patterns, net rate holidays, pension, good salarie

Cons

late shifts, Sunday's, not great canteen,

Advice to Management

None.

2. Good working atmosphere, but could move with the times to support flexible working.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

Good colleagues and change initiatives.
    Well-managed for future company growth.

Cons

Individual progression and internal career opportunities are lacking.

Advice to Management

Identify and promote/support good employees, before they get bored or frustrated and leave.

3. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

Give colleagues the opportunity to develop
    Great career progression
    Market Leading pay & benefits
    Has a real family feel about the organisation
    Senior management are very engaging
    Strong brand name within the market

Cons

I cant think of any that would impact my life or role at TUI

Ok if you aren't looking for long term career

Former Employee - Travel Agent in London, England
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in London, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in travel! I loved what I did the job of selling holidays all day was great. My passion
    Benefits were pretty good

Cons

Pay is rubbish! No job as an adult should you be paid so little!!
    Even as top seller commission was rubbish.
    No career prospects sadly!

Advice to Management

Some Management need training 1 manager we had was far too big for her boots and luckily was demoted!

Hierarchy and then some !

Current Employee - IT in Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - IT in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of committed staff who go above and beyond
    Holiday concessions after qualifying period

Cons

This is without a doubt the most hierarchical company I have ever worked for. Managers in my department seem to accentuate this much to the demoralisation of the majority. There is objective, charter and local strategy overkill which stifles creativity and ultimately just focuses managers on hitting targets and ticking boxes.
    Management styles seems to be stuck in a previous decade, trust your people to perform, park egos and old style management techniques at the door.

Advice to Management

Be serious about taming the hierarchy and you will instantly get a more engaged workforce. Internal communications should be sent out to everyone not just selected grades of employees.

7. Great company

Former Employee - CRM in Luton, South West England, England
    Former Employee - CRM in Luton, South West England, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really enjoyed working at the TUI Travel, great people and great culture. Lots of out of work events ans staff trips abroad. Spot on work/life balance. Amazing perks if you like travelling

Cons

There is a chance to progress only if you'd go to a different department. Hard to progress within the same department unless someone leaves

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Rubbish

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Nottingham, England

I worked at TUI Travel part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Concession and late seats probably

Cons

I worked for Thomson retail for a year and a half in a small shop in a small town. They do not care about their staff in the slightest. The wage is low, commission is extremely low!

They have introduced a new 'flexi policy' which means they can make you work as little as 8 hours a week or as much as 37.5 hours a week - depending how much they need you in the shop. If you are 'flexed up' to the maximum of 37.5 hours a week, you will get the time back in lieu at some point within the next 12 months. And if you are 'flexed down' then you will owe them hours and they can slot you in wherever they like. Totally unrealistic!

Always short staffed which means finishing late and getting no lunchbreak (even though you are entitled to an hour unpaid). They are rubbish to say the least. Its no wonder they have a high staff turnover!

Oh they also have a 'motobility clause' which means they can send you to any shop within an hours drive, either on 'relief' for the day or for good if they like!! Their stores compete with their own internet meaning the store targets are impssible to hit as you are constantly having to match internet price - but then get shouted at as your 'discount spend' is too high. You cannot win with Thomson!!

It is constant earache of being nagged at to sell extortionate priced insurance to customers that 70% of the time dont need or want it!

I repeat they do not look after or care about their staff in the slightest. Be warned!!!!

Advice to Management

Fix it

A terrible place to work in IT.

Former Employee - IT Development Manager in Luton, East of England, England
    Former Employee - IT Development Manager in Luton, East of England, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some reasonable travel and holiday related benefits

Cons

Want a career at TUI IT? Forget what you know about IT and become a politician.
    Staff appraisal is full of contradictions and is pushed onto junior & middle management with no buy in from senior managers or directors at all.
    HR are a joke too and always seem to support senior management, even when acting highly unethically (although I do not know of any actual illegal behaviour)

Advice to Management

Parts of your head office workforce (primarily IT) is being demoralised to the point of risking mental health issues. Look at your "junior" directors and see which ones are in the job as politicians and which ones are in it for the long term good of TUI You might be surprised at the number falling into the former category - they are killing innovation and progress.

10. Great company to work for if you have ambition, drive and enjoy working within a busy and fast paced environment

Former Employee - Health and Safety Manager
    Former Employee - Health and Safety Manager

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they do focus on staff development and provide courses such as insights which was a great tool and experience. There is plenty of opportunities and you can never get bored (would not get the chance to). Fast paced yet exciting company to work for.

Cons

Balancing work and life is difficult due to the pressures of working within such a driven company. Remember to focus on you and if you focus on yourself and your own strengths everyone including the company will benefit.

Advice to Management

Try and involve the employee in the appraisal process and spend more time ensuring staff are OK rather than just assuming....

My worst career experience so far

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is very driven and have a strong sense of where they want to be in a few years time.
    There is a free bus that takes you to the Luton office from Luton Airport Parkway station
    Theres a company monthly meeting which usually involves guest speakers and free goodies

Cons

I had a very very bad experience at TUI, from day one of joining I was made to feel like an outkast.
    A lot of people already have their friendship groups and so it is hard to actually become friends with people at work, not enough effort is put into social intergration from the very beginning.
    I also experienced a horrific manager who was the reason others had left in the past.

Advice to Management

When multiple staff members complain about one manager and even end up leaving because of this manager, then this means that this manager lacks in social skills and the ability to form positive relationships with coworkers. meaning that they shouldn't be a manager.