TUI Travel

Updated 22 November 2014
2.9

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long
Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• healthy working environment & good people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not support or provide enough resources to allow employees to do a great job (in 3 reviews)

• Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Empowering the Individuals

Current Employee - Assistant Business Partner in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Market leader, Working with all kind of characters at office and across the borders, get to see the world

Cons

not enough perks like other travel companies offer their staff, which can be understandable by amount of staff TUI travel have in compare to others

Understand the meaning of Flexi hours

one of the best companies to work for..

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work culture, training, professional i.e career growth, learning, people

Cons

i have been enjoying the work at TUI

NA

Unorganised, Under Paid, High Pressure

Former Employee - Recruitment Advisor
    Former Employee - Recruitment Advisor

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cheap Holidays (if you can get them)

Cons

High Pressure and Under Paid, temp contracts

Better Organisation with regards to job positions, offer more money for the work being done - ensure staff are on permanent contracts rather than temporary contracts

Meh

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very good staff
    - Solid expertise and understanding of the industry

Cons

- Poor salary
    - Poor benefits
    - Lack of internal promotions
    - Incredibly erratic and knee jerk reaction to almost everything
    - Constant reshuffle of upper management
    - Massive blame game culture

Improve salary, reward staff for hard work, be more measured in how you react when things aren't going well.

THE BEST TRAVEL INDUSTRY EMPLOYER

Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England
    Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Salary
    Fantastic product
    Easy to use system
    Great training program
    Beautiful destinations
    Good staff offers
    Easy working environment
    Amazing team and manager

Cons

Mystery shoppers are probably one of the hardest things to deal with as they really stress you out and you feel unnatural serving when knowing they are going to come.

Training was great when I started and my team were fabulous. An education wouldn't go a miss as I know it really improves product knowledge.

Very effcient, very corporate, a company that seems to care about employees

Former Employee - Marketing Exe in Luton, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Exe in Luton, East of England, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Efficient structure,
    Entertainment in head office
    Visionary

Cons

Pay
    personal growth
    company culture is ageing, not as suitable for younger 'go employees'

more opportunities needed for growth in that it's quite difficult to progress, so opportunities are more likely else where

Cares far more about its shareholders than its staff

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brighton, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some very talented and likeable individuals whom I've learnt a great deal from and become great friends with.

Amazing quality and breadth of travel products across the portfolio. If you can imagine it, TUI probably offers it.

Good pay

Cons

An ageing and very archaic hierarchy with lots of office politics and a large blame culture. Slow to adopt new technology and processes across the entirety of the group. Thomson and First Choice get the big bucks and opportunities thrown at them for good TUI PR, whilst many of the other brands are antiquated and have a lot to catch up on.

Synergy and Communication - Terrible internal communication across the group resulting in disconnected activity and duplicated efforts, resulting in huge unnecessary costs. The structure of 'growth via acquisition' where each brand is managed individually means many brands were formally competitors and this results in unhealthy internal competition where brands don't like sharing their results and strategies across the group.
    Even down to things such as inductions, you receive no welcome pack or formal welcome. You're just left to your own devices to try and find what you might need on the least user-friendly intranet. There's also no up to date global contacts directory so you have to track colleagues down via your own means.

Group benefits - There was outcry why Thomas Cook slashed their benefits but they're still better than TUI's, unless you work for an individual brand. I went on one Thomson flight and didn't go on a single TUI holiday during my 3 years at TUI as it was cheaper to shop with competitors, even as a staff member.

Career progression - I hit the glass ceiling within my first roll there and it seems to be more of a case of 'who you know' than 'what you know' when it comes to promotions with a definite 'boys' club' culture. It's very cut throat and those I've seen progress within the head office functions aren't afraid to trample over others to get to where they want to be.

Members of corporate and head office functions have less sense of belonging than those working for one of the brands where staff morale is much higher.

Very poor work / life balance and office environment - very little in the way of team building exercises, staff entertainment and functions. For example we had to arrange our own Christmas parties within our team and weren't invited to other nearby Christmas parties within the group.

Concentrate more efforts on the needs of your customers and employees than the London Stock Exchange.

Mistreated

Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Swansea, Wales
    Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Swansea, Wales

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best things about working for TUI was the people I worked with as we were all close because of the environment of the shop. I also got to go to Tenerife free which was a great experience.

Cons

Unfortunately I worked for TUI in a retail shop selling holidays and in the bureau de change, which was a stressful environment. This is to be expected when working in a store however, in the two years I worked for the company, the incentive dropped from 5% to 2.5% which meant that it was stressful work for hardly any reward. There seemed to be no room to progress and no opportunities to develop myself which meant that I sought alternative employment, found it and am much happier as a result of this. I enjoyed my time there, but definitely not a life job for me..

Reward your staff more with bonus's and a raised incentive. If you want great results, reward your employees when they do perform great.

Creatively crushing

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There seems to be some good recruitment where talented individuals are hired who bring knowledge, big ideas and are always a good laugh. Industry as a whole is interesting and there's a lot of potential to experiment with new ideas and technology.

Cons

Old school view of how a company should run. Minimal acceptance for anything new.
    Too many 'no' people.
    People always want something new and exciting yet seem terrified of doing anything different when it comes down to it. "Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results".
    Most ideas are trampled on.
    Always 'something' better on the horizon to appease concerns but concerns are never quite addressed.
    Little development, education or training. Minimal investment in staff.
    High turn-over of staff - Quickly lose those talented individuals.
    Politics get in the way of everything, you just can't get anything done without every level having their input (sometimes felt like people would say something for the sake of it).
    Blame culture.
    Little time given to do a good job before something else needs to be done yesterday.
    A very top heavy structure with little support for those towards the bottom.
    Seems to be lots of talk but no action. Resulting in another meeting.
    Quite often low moral.
    Ideas/Strategy seems to change as it comes down the chain of command which is confusing. Being told one thing my the most senior staff but direct management are relaying something different - occasionally the opposite?!

Trust those talented people you have hired to do their specialist job. Things might actually pick up if you allow people to exercise the ideas they have from time to time. Respect the fact that new ideas might fail but if something is learnt then it has been a success - allow the staff to know its ok to fail. Visibility of a sound strategy would be helpful. Invest in your staff. Invest in the culture.

Good company and travel

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meet new people, travel, fun, good team

Cons

Selling excursions, and guiding some excursions