TUI Travel Reviews

Updated 27 March 2015
68 reviews filtered by

1. Good, but not great. Competitive benefits but offices are uninspiring and little culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive salary, generally good atmosphere in office, nice people to work with, great internal communications.

Working hours are great.

Working for TUI Travel is working for a market leader

Cons

Hierarchical system means it is very difficult to get things done. Location of offices isn't great. Very political environment. Salary reviews are rubbish. Little company culture or social life due to location.

Advice to Management

Internal sign off is a nightmare and slows down the rate of movement across the company

2. Potentially great, but too many bureaucrats, too much back-stabbing/brown nosing and lack of forward thinking approach.

Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Inbound in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Inbound in Coventry, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job, the staff are all in the same boat. The training and development is well structured and educational trips are a nice touch.

Cons

There is no 2 way avenue... It's all about metrics, scheduled adherence. Sales targets are rarely achievable and a lot of the time when staff levels are low, the targets are split between who ever is left. It's not approached sensibly, when your opinion is given to management, it is usually looked down on and you feel worthless. The company will have it their way at any cost, changes to bad practices take too long to rectify.

Advice to Management

Take your head from where it doesn't shine and listen to your staff, give them what they want once in a while. Business is business yes, but without morale you have no engagement. It's always very difficult to get time off so that needs attention. When you take on new people, you always do the maths test. When you apply for a job within, you always have to do all the stupid tests again (even though you had to be able to do them when you first started). Why do you make people take the tests again? You know they are intelligent/arrhythmic as they had to pass to start employment with TUI. There are lots of things that are back to front. I suggest that when a staff member isn't happy with something or a decision their manager has made, that manager takes up to the director level... since a lot of the time, the bureaucrats within will say there is nothing more that can be done, when they are lying because they can't be bothered to help you (or they have made a decision that goes against the company values or is ethically challenged). Stop asking people for their personal information all the time too, you have asked for it a number of times. I could go on and on and on and on.

Bullies

I worked at TUI Travel

Pros

All positives were completely and utterly crushed......

Cons

Line managers bully their staff as they too are bullied. So you cannot approach anyone for help to prevent this as those above rule in a similar way.
    Targets reached so they find something else to shout about. Humiliating, upsetting, destroying, disaster of an experience.
    I quit a good job to join Tui and feel gutted I was duped from day one. False promises of what's on the horizon.
    Absolutely NO employee care whatsoever.

Advice to Management

If you wish to keep staff and save on training costs. Treat them as human beings. Value their work, educate if they fail. Praise often..

5. Good company name, but lost their way in world of Retail

I worked at TUI Travel part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

opportunities are with this company to progress, and as a company Tui are vibrant and focussed for todays world, they are leading the way in travel with excellent Hotels and service.

Cons

The Retail enviroment is wrapped up with lots of pressure on staff. leaving them feeling exhausted , largely due to many years of cutting down staff in retail due to todays demanding world of profit, making our staff in retail feeling lots of pressure to meet company standards and left feeling under valued .

Advice to Management

Employees are the core of the business, keeping them valued is making their job more enjoyable, Im afraid to say that as a company so big their only focus is the big numbers and their is no concern for base level yet all contributing to the same company in some form or another.

6. Poor Company to work for!!!!!

Former Employee - Marketing Executive
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm not quite sure the pros of the marketing department. However, travel industry in general is interesting.

Cons

-Firstly location (Luton - need I say more)?
    -In the interview they talked highly of the last minute, (heavily) discounted holidays, only to find out they're impossible to get
    -Management was lacking in leadership skills, developing the employees and delegating tasks
    -the food was average
    -not very creative in terms of testing new ideas
    -VERY unfriendly/cliquey department. If you've not been friends with the team for years or you don't live near them then any type of social conversation is out of the picture
    -VERY high turnover rate for marketing executives...this is down to the poor management styles and leadership. They don't care to help progressing and growing their employees.

7. one of the best companies to work for..

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work culture, training, professional i.e career growth, learning, people

Cons

i have been enjoying the work at TUI

Advice to Management

NA

8. Empowering the Individuals

Current Employee - Assistant Business Partner in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market leader, Working with all kind of characters at office and across the borders, get to see the world

Cons

not enough perks like other travel companies offer their staff, which can be understandable by amount of staff TUI travel have in compare to others

Advice to Management

Understand the meaning of Flexi hours

Meh

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very good staff
    - Solid expertise and understanding of the industry

Cons

- Poor salary
    - Poor benefits
    - Lack of internal promotions
    - Incredibly erratic and knee jerk reaction to almost everything
    - Constant reshuffle of upper management
    - Massive blame game culture

Advice to Management

Improve salary, reward staff for hard work, be more measured in how you react when things aren't going well.

Unorganised, Under Paid, High Pressure

Former Employee - Recruitment Advisor
    Former Employee - Recruitment Advisor

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap Holidays (if you can get them)

Cons

High Pressure and Under Paid, temp contracts

Advice to Management

Better Organisation with regards to job positions, offer more money for the work being done - ensure staff are on permanent contracts rather than temporary contracts

11. THE BEST TRAVEL INDUSTRY EMPLOYER

Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England
    Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Salary
    Fantastic product
    Easy to use system
    Great training program
    Beautiful destinations
    Good staff offers
    Easy working environment
    Amazing team and manager

Cons

Mystery shoppers are probably one of the hardest things to deal with as they really stress you out and you feel unnatural serving when knowing they are going to come.

Advice to Management

Training was great when I started and my team were fabulous. An education wouldn't go a miss as I know it really improves product knowledge.