TUI Travel

Updated 12 September 2014
3.2

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long
Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• international working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted (in 4 reviews)

• Firstly location (Luton - need I say more) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very effcient, very corporate, a company that seems to care about employees

Former Employee - Marketing Exe  in  Luton, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Exe in Luton, East of England, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Efficient structure,
    Entertainment in head office
    Visionary

Cons

Pay
    personal growth
    company culture is ageing, not as suitable for younger 'go employees'

more opportunities needed for growth in that it's quite difficult to progress, so opportunities are more likely else where

Cares far more about its shareholders than its staff

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brighton, England

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some very talented and likeable individuals whom I've learnt a great deal from and become great friends with.

Amazing quality and breadth of travel products across the portfolio. If you can imagine it, TUI probably offers it.

Good pay

Cons

An ageing and very archaic hierarchy with lots of office politics and a large blame culture. Slow to adopt new technology and processes across the entirety of the group. Thomson and First Choice get the big bucks and opportunities thrown at them for good TUI PR, whilst many of the other brands are antiquated and have a lot to catch up on.

Synergy and Communication - Terrible internal communication across the group resulting in disconnected activity and duplicated efforts, resulting in huge unnecessary costs. The structure of 'growth via acquisition' where each brand is managed individually means many brands were formally competitors and this results in unhealthy internal competition where brands don't like sharing their results and strategies across the group.
    Even down to things such as inductions, you receive no welcome pack or formal welcome. You're just left to your own devices to try and find what you might need on the least user-friendly intranet. There's also no up to date global contacts directory so you have to track colleagues down via your own means.

Group benefits - There was outcry why Thomas Cook slashed their benefits but they're still better than TUI's, unless you work for an individual brand. I went on one Thomson flight and didn't go on a single TUI holiday during my 3 years at TUI as it was cheaper to shop with competitors, even as a staff member.

Career progression - I hit the glass ceiling within my first roll there and it seems to be more of a case of 'who you know' than 'what you know' when it comes to promotions with a definite 'boys' club' culture. It's very cut throat and those I've seen progress within the head office functions aren't afraid to trample over others to get to where they want to be.

Members of corporate and head office functions have less sense of belonging than those working for one of the brands where staff morale is much higher.

Very poor work / life balance and office environment - very little in the way of team building exercises, staff entertainment and functions. For example we had to arrange our own Christmas parties within our team and weren't invited to other nearby Christmas parties within the group.

Concentrate more efforts on the needs of your customers and employees than the London Stock Exchange.

Mistreated

Former Employee - Travel Adviser  in  Swansea, Wales
    Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Swansea, Wales

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best things about working for TUI was the people I worked with as we were all close because of the environment of the shop. I also got to go to Tenerife free which was a great experience.

Cons

Unfortunately I worked for TUI in a retail shop selling holidays and in the bureau de change, which was a stressful environment. This is to be expected when working in a store however, in the two years I worked for the company, the incentive dropped from 5% to 2.5% which meant that it was stressful work for hardly any reward. There seemed to be no room to progress and no opportunities to develop myself which meant that I sought alternative employment, found it and am much happier as a result of this. I enjoyed my time there, but definitely not a life job for me..

Reward your staff more with bonus's and a raised incentive. If you want great results, reward your employees when they do perform great.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Creatively crushing

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There seems to be some good recruitment where talented individuals are hired who bring knowledge, big ideas and are always a good laugh. Industry as a whole is interesting and there's a lot of potential to experiment with new ideas and technology.

Cons

Old school view of how a company should run. Minimal acceptance for anything new.
    Too many 'no' people.
    People always want something new and exciting yet seem terrified of doing anything different when it comes down to it. "Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results".
    Most ideas are trampled on.
    Always 'something' better on the horizon to appease concerns but concerns are never quite addressed.
    Little development, education or training. Minimal investment in staff.
    High turn-over of staff - Quickly lose those talented individuals.
    Politics get in the way of everything, you just can't get anything done without every level having their input (sometimes felt like people would say something for the sake of it).
    Blame culture.
    Little time given to do a good job before something else needs to be done yesterday.
    A very top heavy structure with little support for those towards the bottom.
    Seems to be lots of talk but no action. Resulting in another meeting.
    Quite often low moral.
    Ideas/Strategy seems to change as it comes down the chain of command which is confusing. Being told one thing my the most senior staff but direct management are relaying something different - occasionally the opposite?!

Trust those talented people you have hired to do their specialist job. Things might actually pick up if you allow people to exercise the ideas they have from time to time. Respect the fact that new ideas might fail but if something is learnt then it has been a success - allow the staff to know its ok to fail. Visibility of a sound strategy would be helpful. Invest in your staff. Invest in the culture.

Good company and travel

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meet new people, travel, fun, good team

Cons

Selling excursions, and guiding some excursions

Depends what you are looking for

Current Employee - Purchaser  in  Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Purchaser in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great work life balance
    healthy working environment & good people

Cons

compensation
    location (Luton or Crawley)
    company seems to be in the need of more structure & organisation

reconsider the pay if you dont want to lose company's best people

Fun for a while, but company far too big for its own good

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Kingston upon Thames, England
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Kingston upon Thames, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people to work beside

Cons

Lack of opportunity and driven but accountants.
    You are just a number

Invest in your staff!!

Mixed bag

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, fun environment, outstanding travel benefits. Pay pretty good for travel industry and the brand is prestigious in the industry.

Cons

Lack of progression opportunities, particularly in between departments. Luton location rather sterile but they do their best to keep staff entertained despite being away from bright lights of London.

Invest in people with dedicated training programmes and don't be short sighted and assume people want to stay in the same department for all their career

Specialist Holidays Group, part of TUI Travel - Great career development opportunity but soul destroying in many ways.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Have been able to advance quickly in the company mainly due to constant mergers, restructures and 'synergy /streamlining'.

Cons

A boys club. And you have to be darn good to get anywhere with out being invited into the club.

Try keeping the great, experienced and driven people that make a difference and drive the company forward as opposed to the people that can talk the talk but do nothing of value.

The World of TUI is a great place to work and to get recognized for individual contributions.

Former Employee - ProgramDirector  in  Crawley, Hampshire, South East England, England
    Former Employee - ProgramDirector in Crawley, Hampshire, South East England, England

I worked at TUI Travel as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

- Entrepreneurial organization with decentralized leadership;
    - Senior management is professional, passionate, goal- and team oriented;
    - Casual and informal work environment;
    - TUI's strategy proves to hold up well whereas its competitors are struggling during the current economic crises.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of, although I can imagine that not all TUI countries / 250 brands are created equal. I can say the having worked for TUI Group at the HQ in the UK was a great experience.

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!