TUI Travel

Updated 12 September 2014
3.2

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long
Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• international working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted (in 4 reviews)

• Firstly location (Luton - need I say more) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Slightly two tear. Make sure your at the main office.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

Great perks, nice people!
    Free money to put towards the purchase of your summer holiday for all staff is a bonus.

Cons

There are offices in Luton and in Coventry. They might as well be different companies. Only apply for jobs in Luton.

opportunity is slow to develop, people tend to get a little stuck and leave. Ok if you are not in a rush!

Classic example of a big company that can't get out of its own way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

the travel industry overall is interesting and TUI is the market leader in Europe. Get to meet and work with interesting and colourful people from around the world.

Cons

Very old school, hierarchy system. Hyper political environment that makes for many miserable days of dealing with utter nonsense. A classic case of working in a big corporate machine and feeling like a "number", rather than a person.

Inspire your team with a vision and truly empower and incent the people you have to make a real difference in the company. You'll be amazed at what they will accomplish.

Tui Travel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

Spacious and modern working environment.

Cons

A bemoth of a company too big to run efficiently. Waste is rife and governance and controls severly lacking for a FTSE100. Change takes forever and in many areas there is no apetite for it.

Performance manage your teams

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A complete overhaul of senior management+area managers to ensure fairness in the workplace .

Current Employee - Travel Adviser  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Travel Adviser in London, England

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

Opportunities to work overseas and meet like minded colleagues and be part of a large organisation.

Cons

Promotions overseas which are not advertised and "kept under wraps" are given to "friends", favouritism within the group, lack of information from management towards members of staff, general lack of "duty of care" towards staff wellbeing.

Regularly ensure that senior resort staff are moved to other destinations to avoid complacency in the workplace. A better "vetting" process of senior management on a regular basis would not go amiss! A clampdown on managers and senior management expenses would be revealing!

Great Place to work.

Former Employee - Business Architect  in  Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Business Architect in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at TUI Travel

Pros

Great corporate culture. I worked in the head office as a business analyst and everyone from the cleaners to high level management had a commitment to the company and its goals. People working together on the surprisingly complex task of delivering quality hoidays to people at affordable prices. Full of really nice looking people (regardless of your preferences) as well!

Cons

Whilst the corporate culture is great, the corporation as a whole was prone to fairly major and rapid mood swings. Things would seem to go from very positive to very negative dpending on individual news items and current world wide events. Admittedly I was there for the tsunami in which th company lost both clients and employees, however the reactive nature of the workplace went way beyond that understandble reactiuon to a shocking incident. Small news items would lead to big chnages in policy only to have them changed back again a few days later.

A longer field of vision would lead to less corporate fire fighting.

Had to leave as was not granted holiday for 18 months.

Former Employee - Holiday Advisor  in  Playa del Carmen (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Holiday Advisor in Playa del Carmen (Mexico)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location, training, availability of management, chance to learn different job skills and even another language.

Cons

I worked for 18 months with one day off a week, no weekend, no holidays and became completely exhausted- when I asked for a weeks unpaid leave it was not granted! Our manager said this was because we were not hitting target as a resort- no wonder-none of us had had a break!

I believe after I left the reps in Mexico were thereafter given holidays, please ensure this keeps happening!

Great experience for young people looking to work abroad

Former Employee - Chalet Host  in  Le Freney-d'Oisans (France)
    Former Employee - Chalet Host in Le Freney-d'Oisans (France)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Provides the opportunity to work with like-minded people in some of the best winter and summer holiday destinations in Europe and beyond.
    Necessities ranging from accommodation to insurance are arranged for you prior to departure so you don't have to worry.
    Interacting with a wide range of guests allows you to make a lot of new friends.

Cons

Often work long, hard hours and following the deductions receive very little income. Not a problem if you are are happy just about breaking even but definitely not a money maker!

Ensure in-resort managers make the effort to integrate with their team. The knowledge that you are working for a manager that you like and who cares about you provides inspiration when the going gets tough.

Very good experience overall but recent changes make it difficult to consider as a long-term career.

Former Employee - Resort Team Leader  in  Fethiye, Mugla (Turkey)
    Former Employee - Resort Team Leader in Fethiye, Mugla (Turkey)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get the feeling that you are an important part of the company, no matter what role you are in. Management make sure that you get recognised and rewarded for good work and there are always opportunities to progress in the company. There is a great lifestyle away from work and you get to see and experience some amazing places around the world, not to mention all of the people you will meet along the way.

Cons

The job can be quite demanding and in some resorts you can find yourself really stretched due to staff shortages. Some managers will get stuck in and help out with any task but others can be very distant and leave some team members neglected.

Make sure that management are prepared to help out at lower levels when required.

Great fun until it isn't any more...

Former Employee - Seasonal Worker  in  Innsbruck (Austria)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Worker in Innsbruck (Austria)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel, living in wonderful locations, the chance to live in a completely different culture and have a life that isn't possible in the UK even for a season.

Cons

Management are a bit cliquey in the country I was in. I had wonderful managers in my winter roles, but a specific manager in the summer was not honest with me until she realised that I had an intention of continuing to work for the company for a longer time, at which point she made clear she didn't like me and thought I couldn't do my job despite me having been there for a year and a half already. At this point the whole experience took a turn for the worse and the enjoyment disappeared. It is impossible to continue working in a country where you know very few people when management are making your life hell, although other managers were very supportive it was never in front of the manager in question so at to not disturb the clique.

Seasonal staff would stay more if their PDRs were taken seriously and dealt with honestly, the room for growth in the seasonal industry is great for those that want to utilise it, but not telling staff how you really think they are doing helps no-one.

Good Fun

Former Employee - Overseas Holiday Advisor  in  Salou (Spain)
    Former Employee - Overseas Holiday Advisor in Salou (Spain)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sun and more often than not, sea and sand....The initial training is fantastic as soon as you get to your destination or even if you have training at a different venue. Once you then get to your resort you get a fantastic overview of the whole resort and all the excursions you are going to sell as you get to go on them all before you start selling!
    Once you are out in your resort and within your team you become a new family and everyone is there to help each other but also to have fun with work.
    You get to meet some fantastic people who can even be your guests. You get to know people very well over a short space of time as you are constantly seeing and chatting to them.
    Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic. If you get all the right results throughout the season you can also often get to choose where you really want to go for the following season(s).

Cons

The living arrangements can often be less than expected. You can often be overlooked for the good work that you put in and rewards that are supposed to be given are often overlooked and forgotten.
    Also some management can not listen to your needs and preferences when you have a certain type of work you would like to do in a resort they may not listen and not give you your preferences.
    The caps on commission can be disheartening as when you hit the top bracket you have no incentive to keep on going above as there is little to no incentive to do so.

Listen more to your staff as often if preferences are given to staff they can be much happier and work much better. Also living accommodation should be looked at in a lot of resorts to check if they are still adequate for modern living as many I have been placed in are not!
    HA commission should match that of the 2wentys reps as there would be much more incentive to not stop at 20% above target as there is only £10 more per 10% above - There is no point trying to get any higher which is a poor way to run the business as the more money we bring in even if you do give us more money the more you will earn.

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!