Target

Target President, CEO, and Director Gregg W. Steinhafel

Gregg W. Steinhafel

(3,343 ratings)

6,710 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)"
    in 204 reviews
  • "the interview process is different, but I always work with great team members"
    in 585 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance has gone down hill in the last 6 months with some structure changes"
    in 438 reviews
  • "I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions"
    in 558 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company to work for if you are single and have no other responsibilities.

I have been working at Target

ProsAmazing co-workers and management seems to really care about its employees.
The company its really flexible when it comes to schedules. This is a good place to work for if you are a college student because you can take what Target calls a "leave of absence" and they will "save" your job until you get back from college. The leave of absence is good for a whole year so you need to come back to work at least once a year.

ConsDifficult to move up from within. Target prefers to get its ETL's Executive Team Leaders (managers) from the outside. So if you are a college graduate and they offer you a position that it's not salary based DO NOT take it because it is really difficult to move up once you accept the offer no matter what they tell you. I know a gentleman who is a college graduate and he took an hourly position with the expectation that in the future he was going to be promoted to a salary position and that has not happened after a few years. So either take their offer to become an ETL or find another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of letting a bunch of people (Headquarters) who have never work in a true retail setting make all the recommendations on how to improve operations. Talk to the people we are there, day-in and day-out and know how to fix whatever problems arise.

Great money, awesome people, hard work, long shifts

Distribution Center MBP (Former Employee)
Wilton, NY (US)

I worked at Target full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is great at the distribution centers, but expect to work very very hard for it. Wonderful 401k with 5% match. Very team oriented. Awesome coworkers. Very professional atmosphere. Positive uplifting culture. Very clean building inside and out. Top notch equipment. Several vending machines in break rooms including cold items like sandwiches and salads. Many yearly work functions and events to build the bond and improve team morale. Ability to swap days off with other TM's with GL's signed approval. Thorough training. Constantly revamping best practices to be more efficient. Morning startup meetings to inform everybody the days business needs as well as "all team meetings" a few times a year to talk business and what to expect for the upcoming months, often with a food catered celebration following. Target is HUGE on safety (to avoid lawsuits for work related injuries). Tuition assistance. ATM on sight. The warehouse is like a little mini city :-)

ConsNot much advancement for people without a 4 year degree. Lead roles are filled with fresh out of college graduates who know nothing about the business. The quotas are not always 100% obtainable. You will get written up if you do not hold a 100% average. If you fall below 100%, Group Leaders manipulate employees into thinking they are not good employees. If your average does not increase within 2 weeks, the process of corrective action will begin. No other factors will be considered. Group Leaders will shun you, make you feel unimportant, harass you, set you up to fail, and chase you out if you do not perform. This is not the Group Leader's fault; this trickles down from higher management. Additionally, it is very hard to get the weekday shift. I was there 2 months shy of 5 years and I was stuck with 12 hrs shifts EVERY Saturday, Sunday & Monday, with no sign of change. Mandatory overtime could be a stickler sometimes. If you do not come in for this, you will be written up.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuotas should be derived by the products which the stores in your region actually carry; not what all stores across the country carry. Stock varies increasingly with different areas of the country. Sometimes, the quotas vs. volumes were right on point, but there were A LOT of times when they did not correlate with each other. Shame on you - you have lost many dedicated employees because of this, including me.

Shifts should go back to where every employee has at least 1 weekend day off. People have kids and we miss out on so much, just to earn a living with your company. After a while, it just wasn't worth it anymore to me.

Customer Service, Salesfloor

Sales Floor Team Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's really not a hard job. Depending on which store you go to, the management is nice. Those who have been there for 20 plus years dont take themselves too seriously which is nice compared to those ETLs who have just graduated and strive to be "the best". Stay in the ETL's good graces, don't draw too much attention to yourself and you should be good. Your timeoff requests will be granted (as long as its not black period aka holidays and back to college time). With the 10 percent discount, the 5 percent off from the red card and the Cartwheel app, you can save a lot of money. It may not be much, but it does make a difference in the end. But really all you do is zone ( maintain the brand of the floor, pick up, organize), back up to the front lanes, do pulls (depending on if you have an instocks team to do these), guest service and put away the abandon. All day everyday.

ConsAt times, you feel like you are being underpaid after a long day at Target. Picking up after slobs every 2 minutes gets tiresome. There is a lot politics that goes on. Teams lead are exempt from doing any of the tedious stuff. They will make team members do everything. Busy days at Target makes an 8 hour shift extremely long and aggravating.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter pay

Nice place to work

Cafe Team Member - Food Service (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Target part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, good pay, friendly people

ConsLittle chance for upward movement

Quick Promotion, but retail isn't the best

Sales Floor Team Leader (Current Employee)
Wyoming, MI (US)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

ProsAs a company Target is very willing to develop team members who show promise, dedication and drive. I was promoted after just a year. Decent raise. You definitely learn a lot and grow as a person after the experiences you have working day to day from guest interactions to the processes and culture of Target.

ConsIt is retail, so the hours are terrible, holidays are terrible. The store is huge so you have to walk what sometimes seems like 10 miles everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it seems like there is less emphasis put on training then their should be.

All the team member at target are great. I love it.

Sales Floor Team Member (Current Employee)
Pittsburg, CA (US)

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone's so friendly and very helpful.

ConsSometimes there's not enough workers and the store gets really hectic but we still manager to keep the store organized and clean.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of different opportunity to help you grow as a sales assiocate.

Fast Fun and Friendly Team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Target full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Training in your position

ConsBetter work life balance for overnight ETL's

Great place to work

ETL GE (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Target full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople, Culture, Policies, and Salary

ConsRetail, Long Hours, Emotionally Draining

Advice to Senior ManagementWork is always better if you get paid more

Great company to work for...back in the day

Sales Floor Team Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Target full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe culture pre-2000 was "Fast, Fun and Friendly" and "Smile and Say Hi" and it was great to work for a store team leader who remembered to treat the team members as well as we treated the guests. At the time, stores had a portion of their annual budget dedicated to fun ways of rewarding team members, like summer barbecues and catered meals during the holidays. Districts would have large district picnics every summer where team members from many stores got together for food and fun outside of work. It was a great place to work.

ConsSomething changed during the 2000's, when most of the older store team leaders were replaced by young college grads who had never actually worked entry level jobs in a store. Their focus was on the numbers, the bottom line. Disillusioned, I ultimately left. Shopping at Target now, I notice mostly robotic behavior by team members. No more "Smile and Say Hi"

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as well as you want them to treat their customers.

Good for first time job

I have been working at Target

ProsPretty friendly for the post part. Good benefits. Good place to work as a college student.

ConsPay could be better. Sometimes communication is hard among other departments.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Target CEO Gregg W. Steinhafel. All 6,710 reviews are posted anonymously by Target employees.