Target

Target Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.2 7,731 reviews

John J. Mulligan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights
7,731 Employee Reviews

Fantastic

Executive Team Leader - Logistics (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people and fantastic management

Conslong hours and little extra compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Great Job for teens

Target Team Member (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA (US)

ProsGreat pay. and great work enviroment

ConsCut of hours during non seasonal time

Fun company, but a challenge to be noticed

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsUnlimited sick days, which is brilliant considering most people on average take less than what would otherwise be offered at other companies. It was also very easy to work remotely if need be on said sick days.

Target is very team oriented - depending on the team and division you're placed in, you could have a very terrible experience or an incredibly fun experience. You have meetings, eat lunch, and go to happy hours with your team. I didn't enjoy my training team as much and considered quitting a few times, but decided to stick it out. I'm glad I did because the team I was placed in was great and helped me build confidence in my abilities.

There is a very deep feedback culture, which I personally do enjoy. It's not easy hearing that you framed something up poorly, or that nobody could hear what you were saying because you were too quiet, but as long as they are tangible things to work on, why wouldn't you want to improve upon them? It might not be the best method for everyone, but I found it very helpful.

The division I worked in was very fun, and we frequently had FFF (fast fun and friendly) division-wide events that got us out of the office. For example, we would volunteer together, go to Twins games, or raise money for charity through a dodgeball competition. Work life balance was really great, and most people were out by noon on Fridays if there was nothing to do.

Definitely a challenging role that teaches you the ins and outs of the business. I by-passed 5 years of allocation roles in the Retail industry with my 1.5 years at Target, showing just how in-depth the training is and how transferable the skills are.

ConsMost people that come in as a Business Analyst are very accomplished, bright, eager people, which makes it a very fun environment to work in. It also makes it incredibly difficult to stand out. You start to realize that it's not about how awesome your project it, it's about how you SELL your story to others. It becomes about who's tightest with their Director and other Managers on the floor, not necessarily who's the most accomplished.

Networking is incredibly important, and I know that's something I always needed to work on. Rubbing elbows with people I am generally not interested in getting to know does not appeal to me, and it's tiring to force it to get a promotion. I hear that there's a back-up in the pipeline and there are minimal promotions as of late, making the competition even worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an effort to hear the complaints of your direct reports, and make a conscious effort to promote positive change. There is a fit for everyone at Target, you just need to make the effort. The happier and more comfortable your team is with each other, the better they will work together. So call the babysitter and go on that all-night ragefest... your team will thank you!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay place to start for retail.

Team Member (Current Employee) Wheaton, IL (US)

ProsEasy to get in. Cross training in multiple departments gets you a lot of experience. Open door policy allows you to talk to the heads of the store about concerns.

ConsThey attempt to cut payroll pretty often and when they do you can lose some of your hours.
    Customers can be insane.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement styles can vary store to store, the people in charge rotate every so often. Some are great so have no concept of management. Saying get it done even when the hours are cut by 20%. Heads of Target are not taking it in the right direction.

Work Experience

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsDefinitely recommend this place as a starter job. Everyone is friendly all they care about is the guest and trying to makes them feel comfortable. They have little recognitions meetings.

ConsIt was seasonal, so everything had to be fast pace. The slower workers would get called out if they were doing there job slow.

Good company

Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee)

ProsTarget has a great culture and good benefits. Amazing community support and opportunity for advancement. Policies are administered fairly and consistently.

ConsWorking for Target headquarters and not living in Minnesota means a lot of conference calls early in the morning and a lot of travel to Minnesota.

I love my job

Flow Team Member (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsGreat managers
    Great team
    Great pay
    No stress
    Fun environment

ConsNone so far as I know

Advice to Senior ManagementPut new a/c always hot

Incredible entry level opportunity to pursue a career in retail, or hone your skills for a preferred job field.

Team Leader (Current Employee) Commack, NY (US)

ProsYou ultimately determine how far you go, you have opportunities to globally stretch out to other business centers and stores if you wish to take it that far.
    Excellent salaries and benefits, highest starting pay in New York area for a retail job

ConsNo commission opportunities, therefore many people begin to get entitled and disgruntled when they kill themselves through fourth quarter, and feel their raise is disproportionate.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on image and more on margins.

Good place to get a start in management field

ETL - Hardlines (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsIt is a good place to start your management career. Some room for advancement. Nice to have weekends off

ConsVery limited room for advancement. Do more, pay less is the realistic slogan

Not Bad!

ProsPeople, culture, opportunities ,location, cross training

ConsThe pay has got to improve in order to attract and retain quality talent

Advice to Senior Managementno concerns yet

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!