Tata Consultancy Services

Tata Consultancy Services CEO & Managing Director Natarajan Chandrasekaran

Natarajan Chandrasekaran

(3,035 ratings)

6,543 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance but to one needs patience to move ahead with carrer in TCS"
    in 676 reviews
  • "Good work culture, not too much stress in work, no working hours pressure"
    in 386 reviews
Cons:
  • "Too many employees, low visibility, work life balance can be difficult especially"
    in 164 reviews
  • "Very less salary at onsite/offshore compare to other companies"
    in 152 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent

Onsite Technical Lead (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good company to work for.

ConsNot much on the cons side.

Exposure to various business is good but technical scope not much

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOnsite opportunities are there, you get exposure to businesses and can get lots of functional knowledge

Consno scope for technical growth, salary scales not that great

Disappointing

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than a year

ProsTata are a great brand. CEO is squeezing every cent of margin from the current business model. A services company, that does some service very well.

ConsMiddle management are small minded, lack ambition and entrepreneurial flair. In fighting between divisions leads to pathetic squables over deals. In the majority of cases its the client is the one that introduces innovation and TCS are best when being told what to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower to management outside of India. Reduce the power of the delivery organisation heads. Stop treating middle management like they are gods.

Mixed

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOne may find suitable opportunities and great mentors. Diversity is mostly respected. Policies are employee friendly as compared to similar Indian companies. There is very good support for learning and development ( certifications etc.)

ConsA very large resource pool is making it difficult to ensure same value throughout. Middle management often shows unprofessional behaviour. Such unprofessional pockets often use the bell curve, promotions, opportunities etc as an weapon to control the resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisor performance review by team may give an idea to identify unprofessional behaviour in middle management. Performance system needs to be standardised else removed, often this is being used as an power to suppress parallel thinking. Any grievance against managers should be handled with empathy, often the HR is more close to managers and try to deal grievance from their point of view.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Moderate , comfortable so far

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWide opportunities to choose work locations,

ConsVery average middle management, who can be very bossy but extremely poor leaders. It not only demotivates the employees to surpass themselves in terms of performance but also make them feel less confident

Tata consultancy Services is one of the premier Indian company.

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England

ProsTata consultancy Services is one of the leading company in India. It is a brand. The TATA is a trusted name. The company provides bread and butter to major portion of Indian population. The work life balance is good and you can focus on what you want.

ConsAs the name suggest it is pure service based company with few exception so quality of work will be of a service based company. Increment is low and some time in negative.

Enriching

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots to learn and contribute
Very wide scope, almost all areas of IT business
Excellent team and management
Company strategy very well defined
Always growing and still growing, outperforming as well!

ConsMay get lost in the crowd if not careful
work-life balance is a problem for people who contribute
Still personality dependent, to make things happen

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to decentralize and empower people more

Experience in TCS as a fresher

ProsGood work environment, Supporting colleagues, women-friendly policies

ConsPay scale, limited opportunities to explore new places, too many employees resulting into crowded campuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove pay scale

Could be world-class, but isn't.

ProsSalary and package are on the whole competitive and rewards are there for those who perform / deserve them. TCS also have a very large, diverse customer base and hence there is plenty of opportunity to work with lots of different, respected customers. A lot of work comes from repeat business, sadly not always due to quality but often price. Above average job security.

ConsCan be chaotic. Internal processes and tools fall short of those expected. Tends to be a work hard not smart environment with lots of inexperienced / sometimes inappropriate resources. As others have said, ex-pat resources from India are often preferred over more capable, experienced local hires primarily as they are more cost effective. Lots of freeloaders who should be performance managed more tightly.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook internally, fix the internal processes / cultural barriers and give high performers the space and support to succeed and TCS could work wonders.

Good career opportunities

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

ProsGood leadership. Heavily focused and result oriented. Hard works rewarded with onsite and career growth opportunities. Overall good place to work if you are aspirer

Consa) Too much power given to support groups such as RMG. They consider themselves above the rest b) Cumbersome processes for any requests such as procurement, environment configuration

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Tata Consultancy Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tata Consultancy Services reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Tata Consultancy Services CEO Natarajan Chandrasekaran. All 6,543 reviews are posted anonymously by Tata Consultancy Services employees.