Teach for America

www.teachforamerica.org

Teach for America Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • If you are with a supportive corps, excellent professional development(in 43 reviews)

• It's nice to know that you're making a difference in people's lives(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge(in 36 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year(in 28 reviews)

TFA has been an incredibly rewarding and humbling experience.

Corps Member (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsI learned a lot about myself and developed as a professional. It was great to be in the city and network. If you're a teacher, it's a great place to start. If you didn't inted to be a teacher, it is still an AMAZING experience.

ConsSome people are a bit over-the-top. Training can be underwhelming in certain aspects, but it is continually improving.

I taught at a charter high school in Detroit, Michigan.

Corps Member (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsSome of the perks were a great group of people to make friends with. Other corps members could help you with your move to Detroit, and were an immediate social network. Additionally, my school was an especially supportive place with strong leadership, (though this is not true of every school in Detroit--at all).

ConsIn my region, the issues that corps members had with their schools were greater than the issues that TFA regularly addressed (the main example being school administration). TFA walks a fine line, because at the same time as it helps corps members, it also needs to maintain good relationships with districts, including some terribly-managed districts. This occasionally leaves corps members feeling unsupported.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on the balance between helping teachers and working with districts.

Great company with many intelligent people.

ProsGreat leadership development and full benefits. Alumni networking is a plus.

ConsLong hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing!

Corps Member Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsThe best thing about working at Teach For America is the family you create while working there.

ConsThe hours are long and tiresome if you are not driven by passion

Awesome internship experience with a growing non-profit

Anonymous (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsAwesome office culture- everyone is very friendly, lots of team lunches and happy hours. Managers really push you to explore your interests within the organization and provide countless opportunities for training and education.

ConsSome disorganization form upper-level leadership

Lots of work... but totally worth it.

Math Teacher (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsYou will have really long hours and very difficult days where everything seems dire... but you will undoubtably go through a life-changing experience with your students.

ConsSometimes feels very corporate and disorganized. Insider culture. Working with kids and administration is tough.

Great, smart people and organization values! Working on sustainability.

ProsSeriously smart, motivated, driven, curious people who want to learn and want to do good. Always quality work. Feels motivating to work amongst that.
    Also, the organization as a whole is just so deeply reflective and willing (and wanting!) to learn. Mistakes are made (like in any place) but I'm so impressed by TFA's immediate desire to listen, learn, and grow.

ConsAt the end of the day, TFA has a mission to serve others. But, that non-profit status coupled with the high achievement stance and urgency for results, means lots of work (long hours, pressure, etc.) with (at least for me) inadequate pay. That's only so sustainable for so long. I think room for individual growth/promotion can also stagnate, given the now really large size of the org.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMission-oriented, and people care about one another

ConsLots of discussions before making a decision.

Unique experience at TFA

Executive Assistant to Executive Director (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat training programs. Lots of time off. Office culture. Opportunity for advancement.

ConsVery low pay compared to any world in the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease revise your compensation ranks all across the board.

One of the most important jobs in the world

Corps Member (Former Employee)

ProsTFA meetings tend to be very motivational when taken with a grain of salt. I appreciate that they are so passionately mission-driven; too often other companies get bogged down in the little details. Yet, they are scrupulously organized with the little details, too.

ConsThe work-life balance is awful. I also feel that the organization has lost their focus on TEACHING, instead they are distracted by LEADING in every economic sector in the nation, it seems (law, politics, health, educational admin, etc. etc.)... yet all for the mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember, we TEACH for America. Teaching is a public service. It's not about you, it's about the kids.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!