Teach for America

Updated 18 August 2014
Updated 18 August 2014

3.7

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • If you are with a supportive corps, excellent professional development (in 43 reviews)

• It's nice to know that you're making a difference in people's lives (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge (in 36 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Know what you are getting yourself into... Make sure it is a good fit.

Former Employee - Corps Member
    Former Employee - Corps Member

Pros

Great opportunities for alumni. Established a network of very capable and ambitious people.

Cons

Not consistent support. I had a very positive experience, but that is not necessarily the norm.

Corps Member

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros

Extremely intense, humbling, and challenging, yet very rewarding.

Cons

Very time-consuming and sometimes, not the strongest support from staff.

Recruitment Team Intern

Former Employee - Recruitment Team  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Team in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

-helpful, cheerful mentors who help you learn more about the company culture
    -solid events such as school visits that give you a better sense of what TFA's about
    -great office atmosphere; not a typical cubicle office setting

Cons

-sometimes the work given isn't the most exciting nor thought stimulating (but that is kind of what I expected as an intern)

-keep doing you, you're doing great.
    -maybe try to get the other interns to collaborate together more than have them do completely separate projects

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experience as Teach For America Corps Member

Current Employee - High School Teacher  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Pros

TFA does an excellent job preparing new teachers during Institute IF (and this is a big if) the individual takes advantage of the experience. TFA also provides excellent support and professional development opportunities throughout the year, though each region may have differences. If you want an experience where you learn and grow while helping students learn, this is a great choice.

Cons

You have to want to work and figure out a way to learn from all your mistakes without taking anything personally. Teaching is not easy - it takes someone who does not step away from a challenge. Additionally, TFA can be a bit too corporate at times, focusing more on data and results and not the journey for both the corps member and the students.

TFA has been an incredibly rewarding and humbling experience.

Current Employee - Corps Member  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Saint Louis, MO (US)

Pros

I learned a lot about myself and developed as a professional. It was great to be in the city and network. If you're a teacher, it's a great place to start. If you didn't inted to be a teacher, it is still an AMAZING experience.

Cons

Some people are a bit over-the-top. Training can be underwhelming in certain aspects, but it is continually improving.

I taught at a charter high school in Detroit, Michigan.

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Detroit, MI (US)

Pros

Some of the perks were a great group of people to make friends with. Other corps members could help you with your move to Detroit, and were an immediate social network. Additionally, my school was an especially supportive place with strong leadership, (though this is not true of every school in Detroit--at all).

Cons

In my region, the issues that corps members had with their schools were greater than the issues that TFA regularly addressed (the main example being school administration). TFA walks a fine line, because at the same time as it helps corps members, it also needs to maintain good relationships with districts, including some terribly-managed districts. This occasionally leaves corps members feeling unsupported.

Keep working on the balance between helping teachers and working with districts.

Little choice over teaching subject, so proceed with caution

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Detroit, MI (US)

Pros

Very noble and important mission. Meaningful work. Decent starting pay. Overall positive leadership, although it's somewhat inconsistent due to how many different leaders there are (local school leaders, local TFA staff, institute staff, corporate TFA staff).

Cons

While I am very passionate about the mission of Teach For America, I was disappointed in my experience as a Corps Member because I was assigned to teach subjects outside of my expertise/knowledge area. My advice is to strongly consider what you would do if assigned to teach your least favorite/least known subjects. I simply did not feel comfortable or qualified teaching my assigned subject without a degree or a significant interest in that area. I felt it was a disservice to the students to give them a teacher who, frankly, who was barely ahead of them in terms of learning the material -- especially when they truly needed competent teachers the most.

Have more open dialogue about which subject areas prospective corps members will be teaching while still in the recruiting process.

horrible and unorganized

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

life changes in students, relationships with collab team as well as strong relationships with students who do not usually have relationships with teachers

Cons

they aren't really teaching students anything because they use lower end work and of course students will understand. Not really changing lives but want to make money of off students

Campus Coordinator Internship

Former Employee - Campus Campaign Coordinator  in  Hanover, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Campus Campaign Coordinator in Hanover, NH (US)

Pros

Teach for America has a strong name brand. Every employer recognizes it and will usually comment on it. I assume that the "white man savior" image crosses all sort of disciplines. The people I generally interacted with really care about the mission and what TFA represents. They were generally very positive and mention the various benefits being associated with the organization.

Cons

I question the ethnics of Teach for America and the negative affects it has on the unions within public schools.

Remember your original mission.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Corps Member Advisor
    Current Employee - Corps Member Advisor

Pros

The best thing about working at Teach For America is the family you create while working there.

Cons

The hours are long and tiresome if you are not driven by passion

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!