Ted Baker London

Very TEDucational

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Richmond, London, England
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Richmond, London, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere in store, combining rigarous training to ensure you are at the top of your game. Great enthusiasm from other staff and management and brilliant staff benefits and perks. There are opportunities to move around as I moved from the Portsmouth to Richmond stores and both were very enjoyable. Team training and knowledge about the brand was exciting to learn about and inform customers about every day.

Cons

Challenges included retaining the large amount of information that was expected by management in order to be well versed in both the product and company history.

Please remember that your staff are new and it takes time to be well versed in the company history and procedures. This can even be the case when moving between different stores as there are differences between outlets and full price stores. It is a learning process and takes time and repetition before these skills become second nature.

My experience has been a roller coaster of fun, stress and ridiculousness.

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Ted Baker London part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Ted is the sense of community, I love the working environment and the 'banter' (for lack of a better word) is really good. I also love the friendships you can build within the company. Meeting Ray when I worked at the Bicester store was also a really cool thing to happen.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the stress, working in the stockroom sometimes people don't appreciate your hard work as much as you think they should. I also find it hard sometimes to stay focused when I'm working a long day, but I find it's easier to set myself targets and milestones - which I then complete throughout the day and it helps it go quicker and I get more jobs done that way.

Communication amongst each other and other members of staff.

One Year at Ted

Former Employee - Sales Person in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training is like nothing i have encountered before, very informal but taught me lots about my self and my approach to customers. i was constantly encouraged to learn different aspects of the business such as the admin systems, weekly reports and figures, not just sales. This certainly helped when i left to go on university placement, as the training and drive carried through.

Cons

there can be a lot of pressure to hit targets, as is the case in many retail positions. being in part of a concession in HOF I often found my self being pestered by store managers to push master cards on customers, this can be very awkward and uncomfortable.

take into consideration the amount of hard work your sales staff put in, and perhaps pay them a wage to match that responsibility.

Amazing team work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Specialist in Heathrow, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate and Specialist in Heathrow, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The uniform and clothes is enough to make me happy to work there! But the working atmosphere is amazing, probably the most enjoyable job ive had in retail. I learnt a lot very quickly whilst working there and you support the brand and want to support your team. The managers are friendly and manage the team really well. The Teducation is a great scheme which teaches the ethics of retail. I developed a lot of confidence and I wish I was still there!

Cons

I cant think of any. If youre not work driven or cannot multi-task under pressure then thats something to consider. It involves a lot of hard work which I love

More individual observation/reviews to develop the potential for employees to move up within the company.

Very educational experience....

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Nottingham, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ted Baker took the time to educate me in my role, and learnt me all you need to know to succeed in my role and beyond. Great uniform allowance and staff discount policy. Work as a team in all aspects.

Cons

Ted baker were sometimes stuck in their ways with the management side of the business. I felt if the face fits you were given the opportunity regardless of experience i.e if you the perfect person for the job but your face didn't fit there was a problem. Being a homosexual and wanting to express my personality which Ted approved to an extent i was punished for this in several ways.

Improved allowance.

Waste of time.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time

Pros

They really try to involve you in their products ie. where the inspiration comes from and how you can style a customer to look 'Ted'. They give you a journal so you can take notes which is handy for referring to. Genuinely nice, well made products so sales targets were usually pretty realistic and achievable. You also get paid every two weeks which is good.

Cons

30 hour contracts at minimum wage, meaning obscenely poor annual salary despite selling products worth, on average, about a hundred pounds a piece. This results in a high turnover of staff and means that everyone is contantly learning which seems to give senior members of staff a lot more work to do. The uniform discount is generous but you are only allocated a certain amount you can use that on which is less generous. If you imagine working four or five days a week and having to buy products that are one hundred pounds a piece you'll soon see the allowance the give you doesn't go very far, in which case you would be expected to spend more of your own money to cover the cost. Even if you did manage to stay within the allocation you still end up spending a fair amount on your uniform which, because of the poor wages, ends up being quite a big chunk of your first wage. A huge focus on appearance, wanted you to plaster (and i mean PLASTER) on the make up every day and wear high heels on saturdays (even though this is obviously the busiest day of the week and you will be running around like mad). They say that customers come first but actually a lot of silly rules are imposed which means customers are left waiting around. They have also only just began offering refunds if a customer wishes to return something, before this it was only an exchange or gift card which I actually think is pretty disgusting. It left 'the little people' working in the stores to enforce a shameless policy obviously chosen by someone much higher up intent on holding onto sales rather than the effect this would have on the companies reputation. This has been fixed now but certainly made for some uncomfortable conversations and extremely dissatisfied customers when I was there. In addition, I felt I was treated unfavourably when I handed my notice in.

I believe offering better salaries would solve a lot of your problems, give people something to stick around for. You have a lot of passionate members of staff working in your stores but i don't believe you suitably reward them for their efforts or really care about them. Basically, become a company with a soul.

Retail store working- boring, repetitive, lots of standing round and minimal staff benefits for poor pay

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at Ted Baker London part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staff discount on clothes however at just 20% (i think it was) against the prices they sell stock at and the poor wages staff earn doesn't really make there stock much more affordable!

Cons

having moved from another popular high street womens clothes retailer the hourly pay was lower to say its such a high profile company. Sales staff are trusted with basically no extra responsibilities which having worked in retail previously is usually the norm to hand out extra responsibilities to staff to not just occupy there time but also give them a sense of job satisfaction and achievement. You spend most of your time un bagging clothes for the shop floor sent down the warehouse, and then later that day rebagging back up just as much stock to ship out somewhere else like another store or outlet. This seems to be a continuous circle of all you spend your time doing, or the occasional 'spacing' out of hangers on the shop floor so every piece of clothing is equally spaced the same distance apart! Other then this my management team seemed also to like the fact of recleaning already clean display shelves which you'd end up doing about twice every day just to 'look busy'. over all the job satisfaction is zero to none, the company needs to think of some serious ways to keep there staffs time occupied and boost morale.

Enlightening and fun!

Former Employee - Senior Sales in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Sales in London, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work for Ted are obviously the clothes! Love their stuff and the style.The atmosphere is always great, in house promotions are predominately how they promote people so there is great chance to climb the ladder there.

Cons

No commission on sales. Very rigid with policies and sometimes targets can be set that can detract from main work too much.

Whilst I was there, before I was in management myself, in one store, management encouraged you and gave you incentives to complete sales/tasks/targets, whilst another, you would be punished (written warnings etc) for not doing so. I think it would help to keep things fair and consistent.

Dull.

Former Employee - Retail Assistant
    Former Employee - Retail Assistant

I worked at Ted Baker London part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-opportunities for training (sometimes)
    - 75% discount for uniform

Cons

-three month probation until till training, meaning you have to send customers to other staff member
    -unnecessary focus on apperance
    -when quiet, you have to repeatedly clean
    -obsession with bad service, leading to poor customer service
    -minimum wage for a job where they expect you to really care; about meeting data capture takings targets ectra. and where you have to offer a highly skilled sales and service experience.

Truly inspirational, dedicated to people/ product and having fun!

I have been working at Ted Baker London full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

i have worked for Ted for nearly 20 years and my career has grown along with the brand. I started as a young girl of 18 working on the shop floor and gradually worked through the managerial ranks. Today i am one of the senior leaders within the retail team. I travel extensively within my role and love every second of it! Leadership, development and creating opportunities are high on the agenda at Ted and i can honestly say the business is headed up by visionary, inspirational individuals who teach/ coach and develop to bring progression to those who want/are willing to work for it!

Cons

I spend my wages on the amazing product!

na