Ted Baker London Reviews

Amazing team work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Specialist  in  Heathrow, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate and Specialist in Heathrow, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time for less than a year

Pros

The uniform and clothes is enough to make me happy to work there! But the working atmosphere is amazing, probably the most enjoyable job ive had in retail. I learnt a lot very quickly whilst working there and you support the brand and want to support your team. The managers are friendly and manage the team really well. The Teducation is a great scheme which teaches the ethics of retail. I developed a lot of confidence and I wish I was still there!

Cons

I cant think of any. If youre not work driven or cannot multi-task under pressure then thats something to consider. It involves a lot of hard work which I love

More individual observation/reviews to develop the potential for employees to move up within the company.

Very educational experience....

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Nottingham, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ted Baker took the time to educate me in my role, and learnt me all you need to know to succeed in my role and beyond. Great uniform allowance and staff discount policy. Work as a team in all aspects.

Cons

Ted baker were sometimes stuck in their ways with the management side of the business. I felt if the face fits you were given the opportunity regardless of experience i.e if you the perfect person for the job but your face didn't fit there was a problem. Being a homosexual and wanting to express my personality which Ted approved to an extent i was punished for this in several ways.

Improved allowance.

Waste of time.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time

Pros

They really try to involve you in their products ie. where the inspiration comes from and how you can style a customer to look 'Ted'. They give you a journal so you can take notes which is handy for referring to. Genuinely nice, well made products so sales targets were usually pretty realistic and achievable. You also get paid every two weeks which is good.

Cons

30 hour contracts at minimum wage, meaning obscenely poor annual salary despite selling products worth, on average, about a hundred pounds a piece. This results in a high turnover of staff and means that everyone is contantly learning which seems to give senior members of staff a lot more work to do. The uniform discount is generous but you are only allocated a certain amount you can use that on which is less generous. If you imagine working four or five days a week and having to buy products that are one hundred pounds a piece you'll soon see the allowance the give you doesn't go very far, in which case you would be expected to spend more of your own money to cover the cost. Even if you did manage to stay within the allocation you still end up spending a fair amount on your uniform which, because of the poor wages, ends up being quite a big chunk of your first wage. A huge focus on appearance, wanted you to plaster (and i mean PLASTER) on the make up every day and wear high heels on saturdays (even though this is obviously the busiest day of the week and you will be running around like mad). They say that customers come first but actually a lot of silly rules are imposed which means customers are left waiting around. They have also only just began offering refunds if a customer wishes to return something, before this it was only an exchange or gift card which I actually think is pretty disgusting. It left 'the little people' working in the stores to enforce a shameless policy obviously chosen by someone much higher up intent on holding onto sales rather than the effect this would have on the companies reputation. This has been fixed now but certainly made for some uncomfortable conversations and extremely dissatisfied customers when I was there. In addition, I felt I was treated unfavourably when I handed my notice in.

I believe offering better salaries would solve a lot of your problems, give people something to stick around for. You have a lot of passionate members of staff working in your stores but i don't believe you suitably reward them for their efforts or really care about them. Basically, become a company with a soul.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retail store working- boring, repetitive, lots of standing round and minimal staff benefits for poor pay

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at Ted Baker London part-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff discount on clothes however at just 20% (i think it was) against the prices they sell stock at and the poor wages staff earn doesn't really make there stock much more affordable!

Cons

having moved from another popular high street womens clothes retailer the hourly pay was lower to say its such a high profile company. Sales staff are trusted with basically no extra responsibilities which having worked in retail previously is usually the norm to hand out extra responsibilities to staff to not just occupy there time but also give them a sense of job satisfaction and achievement. You spend most of your time un bagging clothes for the shop floor sent down the warehouse, and then later that day rebagging back up just as much stock to ship out somewhere else like another store or outlet. This seems to be a continuous circle of all you spend your time doing, or the occasional 'spacing' out of hangers on the shop floor so every piece of clothing is equally spaced the same distance apart! Other then this my management team seemed also to like the fact of recleaning already clean display shelves which you'd end up doing about twice every day just to 'look busy'. over all the job satisfaction is zero to none, the company needs to think of some serious ways to keep there staffs time occupied and boost morale.

Enlightening and fun!

Former Employee - Senior Sales  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Sales in London, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work for Ted are obviously the clothes! Love their stuff and the style.The atmosphere is always great, in house promotions are predominately how they promote people so there is great chance to climb the ladder there.

Cons

No commission on sales. Very rigid with policies and sometimes targets can be set that can detract from main work too much.

Whilst I was there, before I was in management myself, in one store, management encouraged you and gave you incentives to complete sales/tasks/targets, whilst another, you would be punished (written warnings etc) for not doing so. I think it would help to keep things fair and consistent.

Dull.

Former Employee - Retail Assistant
    Former Employee - Retail Assistant

I worked at Ted Baker London part-time for less than a year

Pros

-opportunities for training (sometimes)
    - 75% discount for uniform

Cons

-three month probation until till training, meaning you have to send customers to other staff member
    -unnecessary focus on apperance
    -when quiet, you have to repeatedly clean
    -obsession with bad service, leading to poor customer service
    -minimum wage for a job where they expect you to really care; about meeting data capture takings targets ectra. and where you have to offer a highly skilled sales and service experience.

Truly inspirational, dedicated to people/ product and having fun!

I have been working at Ted Baker London full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

i have worked for Ted for nearly 20 years and my career has grown along with the brand. I started as a young girl of 18 working on the shop floor and gradually worked through the managerial ranks. Today i am one of the senior leaders within the retail team. I travel extensively within my role and love every second of it! Leadership, development and creating opportunities are high on the agenda at Ted and i can honestly say the business is headed up by visionary, inspirational individuals who teach/ coach and develop to bring progression to those who want/are willing to work for it!

Cons

I spend my wages on the amazing product!

na

Get spotTED

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Bristol, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training, benefits, loyalty, pension, uniform, shares , paid sick, paid holiday.

Cons

very high standards, very stressful over really small things.

Be more relaxed, and much least stressed. Focus on customers and taking money rather than tasks.

incredible

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Richmond, London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, London, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time for more than a year

Pros

The clothing you can purchase on discount.

Cons

Limited incentives to earn more cash despite high sales

Worst job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Supervisor in London, England

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clothes discount (75% but lots of rules including not being able to choose without two other members of staff approving your choice! And also limited depending on your hours), meeting new people, learning about cuts and fabric quality (but this is from finding out that Ted Baker's quality has seriously dropped in the last three years, ask any customer)

Cons

They will pay you the absolute minimum they can legally get away with and give you a false "specialist role" to convince you that you're important but it's actually a lot more work for the exact same money, problems stem from head office, the lack of organisation is incredible, very much like a cult in the respect that they have the "School of excellence" and constantly berate employees for not being more "Ted", anyone with an education knows it's a trick companies use to make less advantaged people feel like they're important and part of something but the shine wears off very quickly. All promises made but never kept, glass ceiling system in that if you're good in your retail position the highest you can go is manager after +3 years from sales assistant. Nepotism regarding office positions. Also sexist in the sense that emails are continually sent out telling managers to ensure their staff are in full makeup and heels all day, all weekend which of course meant colleagues constantly having bad backs and pain from running up and down stairs all day. If it was a luxury brand with high pay it's understandable but Ted Baker really is just upper high street like French Connection at best.

LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS AND STAFF!! Profits have gone up because quality control has been drastically cut and this is evident from all the recalls of products and customer returns. Also not offering a refund policy for a faulty product in this day and age is ridiculous and says everything about the way the company just sees customer's as idiots with cash to burn, they never care about the customers we've met who really work to afford something

Worked for Ted Baker London? Contribute to the Community!