Telegraph Media Group

Updated Jul 08, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Murdoch MacLennan

A company that really looks after it's employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat benefits such as onsite-gym, nurse, subsidised cafe, massages etc.
    Excellent experience working with large international brands

ConsLarge company bureaucracy.
    Old boys club.

Terrifying

Account Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsMet some great friends and there were fantastic percs with regards to health benefits such as BUPA and paternity leave

ConsNazi like micro management - treated like a naughty schoolboy at all times, not nearly enough freedom, archaic culture in many ways

Advice to Senior Managementchill! Its the Telegraph - income revenue streams will always be strong - respect your staff more.

Quantity not quality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsNice people, good benefits and had the opportunity to work with a major player in the news industry. Work was sometimes varied.

ConsToo political, no opportunity to progress, poor quality of work. Too focused on selling, selling, selling and no focus on delivery. Poor management which was too top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess focus on budgets and selling and more focus on product and process. The business will grow if the product is solid.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Watch your back!

ProsNew digital products
    Benefits
    Free newspaper
    Exciting to be part of a near 160-year old company
    Impressive building and useful location (Victoria).

ConsNo values
    No consistent culture across the business
    Blame culture
    Underpaid, undervalued staff whilst senior management highly paid
    Cut throat.
    Internal press releases end up on Guardian website within seconds.
    No free tea and coffee!

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategise and deliver on a defined roadmap - but allow time for enough preparation. Stop living to a deadline like a print newspaper - in the digital world it's all about being relevant all the time.

Great People. Awful Management.

Account Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsI worked in the Commercial department. Great office in a good location, nice employee facilities (on-site gym, nice canteen, modern and generally clean). Worked with some great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and industries. The Telegraph is a great name to have on your CV.

Good communication from senior management (Murdoch) about organisational issues, and generally what's going on with the company a few times a year (especially around Christmas bonus time).

Great staff benefits. The ability to pick and choose what you want. Good pension scheme. Subsidised computer, and cycle-to-work, schemes.

ConsWhen the going got tough, management started pointing fingers, not examining the bigger picture. The view was clearly that when revenue fell, it was because we weren't working hard enough (and nothing to do with the fact that our competitors were developing more innovative products). There's only so far that a regurgitated version of the same old jobs board with a particular audience will get you with clients. Somehow, this escaped the minds of those in charge.

Over-reliance on print revenues, which, as anyone with a basic level of intelligence will know, is in decline.

Managers took credit for individual team member's work. Managers set you up to fail, constantly (one minute they railroad your deal, the next they're shouting at you for NOT managing your deal...). Conversations with department managers usually involved being humiliated in front of the whole department floor.

Nobody felt like they could ask for help because nobody in management was approachable. And then department managers wondered why nobody asked for help.

A general feeling of apathy towards you from management. Definite old-boys club attitude. Nepotism was blatant. Encouraging team members to screw each other over for the sake of their own figures or career progression. Unrealistic targets based on...who knows?

Morale was low in my team. There was no motivation or encouragement. Within 6 months, everyone in my team had left.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that foster a positive culture, who are approachable, and want you to succeed. Increase individual communication and raise issues with employees immediately - don't leave it to review time, when it comes as a complete surprise.

There's a reason why managers who are bullies are hated. Get rid of them, and you might retain some top talent and get more out of people.

my boss is brilliant - rest of the place is a basket case

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsMy boss
    The history of the place
    Former glories

ConsThe place has no direction and its all getting a bit embarrassing
    There no point discussing time off policies, training and work life balance when everyone wants to leave because the product we produce is rubbish.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a strategy and most importantly some editorial direction. People want inspirational leadership, figure heads and causes we can rally behind. Instead we are left sniggering at Private Eye. For the love of God stop worrying about time off policies, training and work life balance - its pathetic.

Disappointed in the Telegraph Media group

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chatham, England

ProsLocation. Some of the people I worked with

ConsTerrible management, all lack communication! No understanding with disabilities!

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other instead of talking behind each other's backs.

some great people but awful management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- some great, talented people
    - on-site gym, good pension
    - quite social

Cons- awful senior management. decisions made by people who have no idea how departments actually function.
    - some departments pay well, others awful.
    - lazy approach to recruitment.
    - lack of resources.
    - very slow to carry out pay reviews/performance reviews.

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in actual workers, there are far too many "directors".
    realise that people are assets and treat them better.
    pay people what they deserve.

Very very poor project organisation and low morale

ProsThe salary and benefits are really good. Nice building with good facilities in a good location. The also looks good on your CV

ConsBad working environment. Dependent on the department you work in, perhaps this isn't for all departments but there is a lack of direction for people working on projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey transparency across different departments for better communication.

Aanlyst Programmer

Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsFriendly staff, nice media floor, reasonable location in Victoria. It's generally interesting when a large story breaks and you can watch the media floor spin into action.

ConsThe senior team were off pace and their idea of progression was to regurgitate the same humdrum design practices cyclically. The work was really very dull, there are only so many ways in which you can reinvent a newspaper website - admittedly this is not really a fault the management team can do much about, its more the nature of the beast and something to be aware of.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your tech staff and their ideas.

Worked for Telegraph Media Group? Contribute to the Community!