Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard A. Hyde

Low stress, low pay, and limited growth.

Environmental Investigator III (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsGain experience and receive valuable training. Plenty of vacation time. Great benefits, especially for a single individual

ConsLow pay. Limited room for growth. Advancement relies on tenure to an extent.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore practical and pragmatic management and policy, less bureaucracy and pandering.

Good Starting Job

Environmental Investigator II (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThis is my first full time job out of college and it is a good place to start. My coworkers are extremely nice and helpful and have been guiding me along with my training. The company itself has good training opportunities as well as the ability to get time off. The state offers pretty random holidays that you can acrue and use at your convenience. The benefits are decent as well and there is a sense of good job security.

ConsThe pay is far too little. Some of the positions involve pretty technical work and you would receive much more money for the same job working in the private sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is amazing and does well for the state in regards to keeping the place clean for future generations. My advice is to compensate your workers a little better so that they will continue to keep Texas clean and safe for all upcoming youth.

Overall a good place to work. Decent career or nice place to obtain some experience.

Environmental Investigator (Current Employee)

ProsI have a family so by far the biggest reason to stay is the time off and ability and flexibility to make the work-life balance happen.
    Retirement and health insurance are nice.
    Pretty good training opportunities.

ConsManagement from top to bottom, with a few exceptions, is very lacking. VERY MUCH a good ole boy system. Either political favorites (favors) or those employees that have been there the longest get promoted and raises. Not much put into selecting the best qualified. Makes for a disturbing and strained boss-employee relationship.
    Salary is very stagnant, especaially after a few years when you reach the top of the career ladder.
    Many decisions are made to appease industry that is politically connected. Very unethical at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget trying to appease people and do the right thing. Conflict is our business. Lets just make it righteous conflict instead of trying to avoid doing our job as an agency.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great first job

Environmental Permit Specialist I (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsVery friendly work environment. There are a lot of learning opportunities and you are constantly learning about new regulatory rules on the job. Vacation is easily accommodated and available and the benefits are great . 40 hour work weeks

ConsLow pay. Gets slow at times. People are always moving around to different positions or leaving.

My experience is neutral at this point in my career.

ProsI am neutral on this particular pros.

ConsI am neutral on this particular con.

Intern at Region 6

Intern (Former Employee) El Paso, TX (US)

ProsLearned about the different groups (Air, Water, and Waste) and all the required permits for an entity to operate. Lots of travel to different sites and see things first hand. Really got to do work as a regular full time employee. Though I was an intern, I was able to conduct investigations and write reports. The employees were great and always willing to help.

ConsSmall office and slow at times. Really easy to fall behind and have work pile up if not up to day with things.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more involvement in the day to day agenda of the interns.

A Sham!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsI really don't have anything positive to say. Get holidays off that no one has never heard of.

ConsPay is low in respect to private sector, too much politics/bureacracy. Leave science as it is "Science". Employees accumulate sick leave/comp-time, and vacation but get the third degree to use it.
     No work/life balance at all. Raises, if you buddy buddy with management you will get one.
    EXTREMELY high turn-over rate for a technical position.
     If you are an engineer trying to challenge yourself along with pay, this is not the place my friend. Your feelings will be hurt.
    Career ladder- Stagnant.
    The best of them all: To do work outside your job description at a higher carrer ladder level, yet getting paid at a lower level. That trumps it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncompetent management. Employees getting their management position on default. Not good. Mid to Upper management have no clue. Needs to pay a little more attention to lower level management.
    ATTITUDE reflects LEADERSHIP.

For a young attorney looking to get good experience, you will have the opportunity to work on interesting cases.

Staff Attorney (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsVacation and health benefits are great. You have a set work schedule and for the most part, your work hours can be very flexible.

ConsPay increases are based on promitions and are not merit based. You are only considered for a promotion every 1 year and 6 months. This is a long time for a salary increase. There are very few opportunities to move into management roles or other positions within the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries or provide merit based bonuses. Decrease the length of time to reach the next salary level from 1 year and 6 months to 1 year.

TCEQ

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsIt's not located downtown so you don't have to contend with traffic as much. Overall, not a bad place to work.

ConsCan't think of anything negative to say. It's no better or worse than any other state agency.

I have been working with the TCEQ since it was established in 1992.

Administrative (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsSome of the best reasons to work with the agency are the benefits, the extra holidays off, and not having to work overtime.

ConsThroughout my career at the agency, I have been thru several programs and I have seen many disturbing things happen. First of all, the management doesn't treat people equally or with respect. There is a lot of favoritism and I have seen people being promoted into management positions that don't even have a college degree. There have been a few times where management has promised me promotions or advancement which turned out to be just empty promises. Recently, I was asked to take on other responsibilities totally out of the realm of my job description for our Division, but was not promised a promotion or increase in salary. Furthermore, programs within the agency change rules like changes in wind direction and they don't officially tell staff what's required for a particular task. They also don't give employees any clear instructions to follow, either in print or online. The employee only finds out when they are accused of completing the task wrong, and most of the time it's over a very trivial piece of information that doesn't really contribute or effect the outcome of the completed task. They make the employee feel like they are a failure, and that it's a strike against them on their record. They constantly tell employees to ask when they aren't sure about a procedure, but while the rules are constantly changing in the background, it makes it difficult for the employee to know how to complete a task when they are unaware that the rules have changed in the first place. While management attempts to announce changes, it's only thru email and sometimes they don't announce new procedures at all. New procedures are not compiled into a manual which could be easily referenced for daily tasks. Manuals that are posted online are not updated regularly and are grossly outdated. It really puts the employee at a disadvantage and makes them feel degraded. While I have worked for the state for almost 30 years, I can say that the only insentive that I presently have is retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to totally change their business processes. They need to create a better environment, have more opportunities and better salaries for employees if they wish to secure quality personnel within the agency. They also need to keep their promises and have some respect for their employees, especially if they have worked for the state as long as I have.

Worked for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality? Contribute to the Community!