Texas Instruments Reviews

3.7
1,157 Reviews

Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton
Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, it values the importance of sports in life (in 116 reviews)

• Great people, benefits, work environment -- when far from corporate headquarters in Dallas (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance rarely seems to be in favor of life (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

A great learning experience with high quality engineers prepared to offer help whenever needed.

Current Employee - Senior ASIC Design Engineer  in  Greenock, Scotland
    Current Employee - Senior ASIC Design Engineer in Greenock, Scotland

I have been working at Texas Instruments as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Interesting work if you like DSP. People are very sociable and knowledgeable. Beautiful part of Scotland. Also close to Glasgow airport if you need to travel as a contractor. Very flexible regarding working from home.

Cons

Engineers were frustrated by lack of projection direction from USA and the inability of marketing to nail down features.

Good place to work overall but dont get lost!

Current Employee - Senior ASIC Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior ASIC Design Engineer

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, huge database of information (both technical and non-technical). There are some great people, only if one can find them as it's a huge organization. Decent work-life balance in general.

Cons

Bureaucracy slows down engineers to work efficiently. A lot of effort is spent in micro-managing things that better be reduced to go back to its glory days!

Reduce bureaucracy.

Good place for introvert and lifeless

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Northampton, England
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Northampton, England

I worked at Texas Instruments

Pros

Prestigious company for an analogue design engineer
    Nice benefits and

Cons

Awful locations
    No choice of career path rather the one imposed by HR
    Far away sites are not considered by HQ

Give people choice for their careers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good colleagues - but some lack of commitment from management.

Current Employee - Technical Sales  in  Northampton, England
    Current Employee - Technical Sales in Northampton, England

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

I have some great colleagues who are always willing to help. There is also a good spirit inside the company with good and regular feedback mechanisms. Benefits packages are good and there has been (until now) excellent training avalable for personal and professional development.

Cons

It's a very large company, so there is a feeling on anonimity. This is even worse if you are in a satellite company away from the HQ - or even outside the US. We do struggle to compete against the big players in some markets and I feel a lack of commitment sometimes to be competitive.

Get a bit more consistent in your buniess approach. If we want to get into a buiness / opportunity area we need to stick at it and resource it properly. I have see many instances where we hae changed direction 90% of the way towards getting the biz. This destroys customer confidence. Lets drop the soundbites and get some real actions going.

Career Oriented Engineering Company

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Working hours. Good quality projects to work with. Helps you to develop in your career and knowledge enhancement.

Cons

TI is going through a cost cutting process because of which major shutdowns have happened and going on

There should be transparent evaluation system in TI where employee and manager sit together and document all your contributor and how much u were part of revenue generating projects.

Over 33 years with T.I.

Former Employee - Computer Sys Administrative  in  Stafford, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Computer Sys Administrative in Stafford, TX (US)

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good health and retirement benefits, Great people. Good opportunity for advancement if you work hard and keep up with your education. Open door policy allows any employee to schedule a conference with anyone in management.

Cons

Sometimes its very difficult to fund projects.
    Some benefits have changed for the bad over the years that I worked for T.I. such as retirement medical. When I started working there, medical was paid in full for the retiree. Not so any longer. I'm not complaining as it is still better than buying a O-Bama plan.

Don't forget about the little guy in which the company couldn't run without.

Well positioned in relation to skillset

Current Employee - Asst Project Manager  in  Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Asst Project Manager in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location, co-workers, job responsibilities are all optimum with adequate initial challenges.

Cons

Very limited opportunity for growth and seem to have reached my usefulness with no consideration to further challenges. Accomplished and exceeded goals hired to provide with nothing new. Responsibilities now seem to be movng to more mundane workload. New management seems to be more traditional mindset with little thought to thinking "outside the box" and keeping staff engaged.

Current management has very traditional mindset and seems new ideas are currently not encouraged. Unaware they have several highly qualified people looking elsewhere due to not being heard by management. Favoritism is evident in some cases.

30 years at Dallas, TI

Former Employee - Test Engineer  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people culture, positive, salary, benefits.

Cons

Gone through many reorganizations, restructuring resulting into job transfers
    and layoffs. Bottom line, share holders upper management willing to appease
    investers including compromising job security for all. Your valuable one day and the next
    your expendable.

Keep in mind the people that work for the company as it is the strongest asset and not the
    share holders/investors!

Driven and somewhat empowered, but mostly chaotic.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

TI is a household name and very well known in the Industry. They are competitive with salaries and benefits. Also, because TI is such a large organization, people move around and change roles regularly. There are many opportunities for personal growth if you are willing to do the work to search them out.

Cons

Very big company, including a bit more beaurocracy than I would have preferred. People are generally extremely sharp, but because people can shift around so easily, some people will tend to focus a bit more on politics and alliances, as one may expect. There is also an underlying feeling that raising a concern, or mentioning something to fix, may be met with subtle disdain in the best case, or in the worst case - you could be blindly assigned fixing the very concern you mentioned . I'm sure this may happen at other companies as well, but I'm only able to speak to my experience at TI.

Because people can shift roles within TI so frequently, it can be tough for employees to feel a sense of ownership and significance in their current role simply because in the back of their mind they assume the GMs, PLDs and even VPs, could be swapped around, which results in a fair amount of discontinuity in some of the engineering groups. Consider this underlying perception, which is whispered in hallways and bathrooms, as you develop organizational strategies to continue to motivate the employees and support the long-term growth of the company.

Great people and great benefits, but very political environment.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits. Good professional development opportunities. Very large company with many roles available to employees as they move through their careers.

Cons

Bureaucracy in every group and more so the higher up you go in the organization. GMs, PLD and even VPs shift around quite a bit, which can cause significant discontinuity in the groups and leave employees complacent because they know their manager could change in 1-2 years.

As you build strategies to increase market share and margins, please keep in mind that there is a perception among employees that can make them a bit complacent or jaded because GMs, PLD and even VPs shift around quite a bit, which can cause significant discontinuity in the groups. Please try and address this, or at least be sensitive to it as you develop organizational strategies and employee development/retention strategies.

Worked for Texas Instruments? Contribute to the Community!