The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance(in 31 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired(in 45 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete(in 27 reviews)

The worst company to ever work for.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros-Deep discounts on merchandise
    -Actual job is easy

Cons-Poor upper management
    -Lack of recognition
    -No opportunity for personal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementThe quality of the work enviornment depends directly upon the management, which goes constantly unchecked. They hire store managers from outside of the company, who are untrained and ill-equipped to do their job, and then rely on assistant managers to fill in the gap. Meanwhile, assistant managers who have been with the company for years, and virtually run their stores, get constantly passed over for promotions and recieve no recognition. District managers are increasingly self-serving, withholding information from associates, and offering false information and hope on future promotions. They hire friends in important positions, that don't do their job, and usually don't last more than six months. In one year, my store went through over FOUR store managers. Their is no work-life balance with store managers demanding coverage for on-calls with less than ten minute notice, unbalanced scheduling, and setting unrealistic demands for the team. The management is EXTREMELY unproffessional, with the constant gossip of other associates and managers. Assistant managers do more than Store managers, for a fraction of the pay and recognition. Associates recieve no recognition for their hard work and are forced to sacrifice more than upper management.

Busy work environment but great deals.

ProsGood discounts. Plenty to keep busy with as far as work goes.

ConsFrom management standpoint, there is a lot that is expected of you. Company only gives out bare minimum as far as hours/coverage goes.

Exhausting...

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPTO is bountiful, higher pay scale than most for management, great connections with awesome customers (both internal and external), great product!

ConsHigh expectations with small time frames (and little payroll of course), constant changes to floor sets and sale changes that make absolutely no sense, no sense of accomplishment due to never being "done", discount was great until the customer coupons started matching employee discount, selling a Citibank backed in-store credit card that offers very little incentive for the customer (5%...really?)

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out people! The company direction is going the wrong way...you need to build a structured communication system and stick with it. Nobody knows the "why" of what we are doing and that feels unstable and chaotic.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Sales Manager

Store Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team within my own location as well as a couple of my fellow SSM's.

ConsOutrageous expectations and absolutely no support to get the heavy workload completed. Unqualified upper management. Micro managing experienced, successful SSM's to the point of complete frustration. Pay is way below industry standard. No positive recognition...but there is plenty of time for negative recognition. You make company issued plans, work your tail off to beat them, only to have them set them higher and higher so there is no possible way for you to make bonus or have a successful review at the end of the year. You're told to get your store perfect for VP visit...do what it takes...only to be told AFTER the visit "No one should work 12 hour days for a visit prep, your stores should be that perfect all the time" no "thank you for the hard work"...nothing. Completely unmotivational.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're setting up your store management up for failure. Managers take their jobs seriously, work hard, give you good results and the only thanks is..."Now we want even more from you. Here are your new, out of reach goals" You will continue to lose great management, at a rapid rate, until you get this under control. Hire qualified leaders (District Managers) that actually know how to lead a team. Not "favorite" SSM's with no people skills.

Horrible Co. and way of business

Sales Lead (Former Employee) Garland, TX (US)

ProsMet only one employee out of 12 workers that was really nice.Only pro of this co.

ConsWorking on time very micro managed and not enough time team leaders will not pick up where u left off.Dm of Dallas talks to u in a baby voice and his very rude doesnt speak to employee's only mgt.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll staff is of value. Support every employee and acknowledge them.And do not ask employee's to take pics of other stores for your project after dark and not clock them in for there after hrs work for you.RESPECT

Aweful company.

District Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are none ! .. Zero , zip , nada.

ConsRead all the bad reviews ... They are all true. The ones that are descent just haven't been there long enough or are just have not experienced anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly the Executives know nothing about building a successful business ... It's about building relationships , not disrespecting people. , mass producing clothes that are carried over year after year .. That's why the clothing is less than appealing and cheaply made ... And why they can afford to sell things for 1.99. !! Highest GM is made on that clearance crap ... Terrible company , no integrity ... Or company ethics

Unrealistic expectations; cuts costs whenever possible.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsI met some really great people, made some great friends, learned excellent time management from the abundance of tasks to get done. My boss (DM) was awesome. A lot of room for growth. (I started as a sales lead, was a store manager within 2 years and managed 3 different stores for the company; although people drop like flies there so there are always open positions.)

ConsNo payroll!!! (I probably would have stayed if I wasn't forced to run a $1.5 million store on 190 hours a week; same amount of hours I was given for a $900,000 store). Disorganized; there's always changes to policies, product recalls, floorset changes/updates the day after floorset is completed, same day pricing changes. Unrealistic expectations; they will give you an entire season floorset and expect you to get it done with no added hours (no one ever got it done on time, at least in the bigger stores). Shipment was relentless, 120-180 boxes/week with no resources to get it done. Supply ordering is very budgeted. Most months just ordering bags took me to my budget limit so I had to buy handsoap and cleaner out of pocket to have it in store.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate people need to go into a high volume store and watch them work on the hours that they're given with the workload they are given and see how crazy it can get when you factor in the customer traffic and demand. Try a different approach and learn from the people that work for you instead of making ridiculous demands. Get feedback and actually listen to it.

Disappointed at best

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you have kids, it's a decent clothing discount

ConsNo payroll for anything. No training hours for any level except store manager or above, no shipment hours, no floor set hours, and extemely high customer service standards and the expectations change quarterly depending on which person you talk to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease please stop over working employees! We cannot continue to work for minimum pay and minimum benefits. If it matters at all to retain good people than please change your payroll structure and appreciate the people in the field actually making you money everyday.

Awful company to work for.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay for management team.

ConsHave begun paying associates part time. Will cut hours in the middle of the week. Lack of communication between store managers and district managers/regional managers. Very unprofessional. No support from upper management. Stores that are not succeeding are left high and dry. Even when you ask for help, it will be weeks before someone from upper management gets to your store, if at all. There are better corporations to work for, this one just doesn't have it together.

District manager

District Manager (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat working with the non executive team

ConsWorst leadership....zero job security....Poor communication within the team

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!