The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance(in 31 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired(in 45 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete(in 27 reviews)

I have never seen a more disorganized company in my 26 year career!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Green, OR (US)

ProsLots of paid time off! My staff is full of great people and we are a strong team. There is a new challenge everyday that keeps the job from being boring.

ConsIn the average store you are given enough payroll to have 2 staff members in the store all day. With those 2 people you are asked to service every customer with a greet, talk about daily promos, hand out mesh shopping bags, tell them about rewards, tell them about the in house credit card and smile while the customer treats you like a dog and your store like a garbage pile. While you service every customer you need to be finishing freight(that we get everyday), setting new sale events (that change daily), set a new window(weekly), do markdowns(sent on Monday night around closing time due by Tuesday morning at open), scan every item to insure proper marketing is in place, set a floorset by Thursday only to update it by Friday because the visual department at corporate is full of incompetent people. And while we juggle all of that the rude customers can't understand why we are pissed when they let their children grab entire stacks of folded product and throw it in the air like confetti. Or why we can't take the time to price check every item they want us to one by one for thirty minutes straight. And God help us if we have a customer complaint about us locking our doors at closing time and not unlocking it for that customer that wants to come in at 10 minutes after closing time. Our superiors NEVER back us up even when we simply try to enforce the always changing policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it figured out before you send it to the stores. My Grandfather always said work smarter not harder. Unfortunately we need corporate to be smarter because we want to only do the work right the first time so we can move on to providing customer service. And if you can't figure it out let your store managers do what we know how to do! We are your greatest asset.... treat us ad such!

I really won't recommend the job to anyone it actually is too much and stresses me out .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is the best thing.

ConsNo one can ever cover for I'm the only one reliable at the job. DONT really get hours I have an Open availablity and don't get no hour I can do Floor set, register, stock, great recovery , great customer service and is always willing to work .but when the company don't give hours nothing can really be done & they claim they want to make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush Sales Associates way to much. Which Creates stress and upset & If associates are upset they will take it out on customers which creates customers complain. Job is too much to deal with and such little pay. Associates deal with Rude customer, Push them for place card , push to get customers to spend more money pushing reward program cleaning and recovering floor set being done trying to keep store neat.tooo much to handle .

High expectation job

ProsGreat people, and fun job

ConsCustomers are rude, pay is low, and the have unrealistic expectations for you job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice staff, sucky hours

ProsCo workers and managers were relatively nice.

ConsHours sucked. Only about 4-8 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less people.

Columbia, MO mall

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Columbia, MO (US)

ProsGreat recognition for successes in the work place. Family-friendly environment. Good location. Fairly good prices.

ConsPush way too hard to sell credit cards. Not very friendly boss. Too many expectations from managers. Don't recommend students working there because too much will be expected

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a better way to offer credit cards. Don't expect too much out of students who are employed and are focusing on school. Don't talk down to your employees.

Great job, great people!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe place I worked at the management was very encouraging, and commended you for your accomplishments. Everyone there was such great people! The pros definitely weigh out the cons!!!

ConsCustomers lol. Some try to get you to give them a coupon even though it expired 5 months before. They give attitude but really in those situations you just have to laugh after the fact!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, keep up the hard work!

Good to start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat flexibility for students when they have the right management in the positions.

like any typical sales job. The company is a good standing one and great discounts.

Consnot very challenging, can become very routine and mundane after a few months.

constantly changing management.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate a better environment for those who want to stay. Promote within. Take your time to scout and interview managers for people who are the right fit... not just the ok salary requests.

Believe the reviews and run for the hills

Sales Lead (Former Employee)

ProsGood discount for clothes, great associates

ConsVery hostile work environment and bad management. I worked in a store close to corporate and learned very fast how negative those in higher positions are. I would never work for this company again. I survived the long hours, little pay, and no benefits for a management position. There is no system for growth of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should really look into the store managers you hire. Also in the year I was there 3 district managers were let go and replaced. Instead of firing good people because sale results arent up to par try looking at your operations and those in higher positions that are not furthering any growth.

Great place to work if you don't have a life

Store Manager (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI (US)

ProsFast pace environment .always string to do never bored

Consyou lose outside life if you work there ,you work harder than everyone else in retail but still its never enough .company is desperate and have unrealistic expectation . running high volume store with minimum coverage and no decent pay. you have to be desperate for a job if you want to work there.

Advice to Senior Managementif you decide to work for the company ask as much pay as possible because they will make you work for it anyways .

Immoral, horrible, experience. It will take a bit to feel normal again after leaving that unethical situation.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Prosgetting a 30% discount is nice

ConsNO work life balance. Only stress, duress, and nightmares.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn people skills

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!