The Children's Place

Updated 23 October 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 38 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

A really great place to be empowered and grow.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible, many opportunities grow, great management ( or maybe I've just been lucky)

Cons

Not many hours for a sales associate and the pay is not the best. Strive to move up and this will change. Corporate tends demand too much and it doesn't take much consideration in other factors a store faces when they set tight deadlines.

For management store level keep doing what you are doing. For management at the corporate level, take into inconsideration what a store will face daily when setting high expectations to meet at specific deadlines and understand you have very passionate people so harness that.

Asst Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kingwood, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kingwood, TX (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The managers are treated pretty well, all depending if course on the district manager. Pay is good for retail management. Hourly associate pay greatly varies.

Cons

Not a lot of support from upper management. They think you can work miracles on a floorset with very few hours alloted to do it.

Better communication!

Pretty Good Company

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales on clothing
    Promotes from within
    Lots of contests between stores to win cool prizes

Cons

Not enough money spent on payroll, so the store isn't always as covered as it should be.
    Too many visits from Regional managers - some stores get tons of visits while others never get one.
    District managers are not trained properly and some don't make an attempt to learn.
    Furious customers becuase of changes in return policies, coupons, etc...

Evening out regional manager visits - so each store gets visited an equal amount of time.
    Too many changes within the company such as policies, coupons, etc.. confuses customers and they don't like it.
    More money should be spent on payroll so that its not on 2/2 coverage even during peak times.
    Benefits to part-time employees, might make them stay longer.
    Having more full time employees, not just SM and ASM. All mangers should be full time.

Horrible!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cute Clothing for kids!

Cons

Hired me but never gave me more then 10hrs a week

Stop going to the Hamptons and be a manager!!!!

Not so bad, but training isn't that great.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff, time off requests are easy to be made, company values are strong, they seem to want to check on you often; which is good if you feel overwhelmed. They also seem to move up the ladder fairly quick, which is also nice.

Cons

Not too much of a discount, they want to keep their managers late but don't want to pay them overtime, they try to train you for harder jobs; but only want to train you for around 3 days, they're very disorganized in their back room (which is where the product is) and they constantly are over-staffed or under-staffed, which screws people out of hours.

DISCUSS THINGS WITH YOUR EMPLOYEES! We aren't mind readers, and we don't know what's going on unless management tells us. Don't short the training hours, I can't train someone if you don't give me the hours to do so.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It allows you to progress. I was hired as a sales associate march of 2014, became a sales lead july of 2014, and now october 2014 I became an assistant store manager and im only 18. This company has allowed me to really show my skills and how I am able to contribute to the business im very lucky and fortunate to be in the position that I am.

Cons

Many sales associates leave early dont like the job nor hours they recieve but than again its only a part time job for sales associates.

Assistant manager

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Good staff, friendly customers, good discount if you have children, it comes in handy!

Cons

Not enough coverage, low pay.

Give more dollars in payroll, if you want a floor set, markdowns, window change and customer service to be completed , then realize that 2 on 2 coverage will not cut it! Also pay your managers more, they work their tails off.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

During the winter, traffic is low and the atmosphere is more relaxed and peaceful. The employees are super nice and polite.

Cons

Getting a raise is difficult because it depends on the teams performance altogether. Customers tend to get more rude and think they are entitled to a coupon without presenting one.

You get to say you had the opportunity to move up

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Athens, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Athens, GA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours, great people, good district manager, ability to move up if you bump elbows with the right people

Cons

Hours are good except the fact shifts are scheduled so your whole day revolves around work.

Typical Retail Job, But There Are Flaws...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee Relationships, Flexibility, Easy work

Cons

Forced to sell credit cards

The TCP culture is generally nice. However, it feels wrong to be forced to sell credit cards to people who clearly should not have them and offering a discount to get them to apply. In addition, I noticed that forecasting methods were way off- all the time. I think this is something that should really be looked into so individual stores can accurately plan their sales. I think it's time to test out another mathematical method of sales forecasting.

The Children's Place Photos