The Children's Place Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

2.3

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

my review

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people, great benefits and great opportunity

Cons

there are none to speak of

Over worked, un-realistic expectations

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, solid benefits, good product.

Cons

Overly operationally heave, reports to help you read other reports. Unrealistic expectations of store visuals with hours and merch flow given. Rude and condescending upper management.

Not a good place to work-I wouldn't ever recommend this company

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great PTO policy 22 days
    Good discount
    Clothes are really cute

Cons

Unrealistic work load for the amount of hours given
    Low pay
    Internal promotes receive salary offers way below external candidates
    Store managers over worked. 60-80 hour work weeks
    Upper management leads by fear
    Inappropriate management practices get overlooked if upper management likes or favors manager
    Law suits run rampid

Lighten workload
    Promote with fair salarys to internals
    Stop favoritism
    Regional managers should not be able to swear and get angry in front of store teams
    Address DM and RD poor behaviors
    The CEO is one of the worst CEO in the industry

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beware of The Children's Place

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Douglasville, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Douglasville, GA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount if you have kids but they hand out coupons to customers like candy so it's not really anything special.

Cons

You will want to cry after every shift. No matter what you do for this company, it is never enough. They are constantly changing everything you do and make you shove their credit card down the parents throat. Also, no hours or pay. You're supposed to get a break every four hours but nobody lets you take that break. Just stay away!!

Try to realize that some of your employees have good ideas and you could benefit from actually listening to them and treating them better.

Doesn't train management

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Victoria, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Victoria, TX (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

There's the discount. You basically work on your own.

Cons

Company changes prices weekly sometimes more than that and they don't give you the hours to have more than one and one coverage and floorset is practically every week

Train your store managers they don't know how to do their job. The company culture is horrible. Give your stores hours to complete their tasks and stop complaining when we can't finish when we're overtasked.

There some Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Product Designer  in  Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- great benefits, including 30% employee's discount, free fruits, limo service, 401(K), medical, vision, and dental, overseas traveling expenses' reimbursement, etc.
    - great opportunity for recent college grads to gain necessary industry experience, including overseas work and travel

Cons

- long hours
    - unpaid overtime and weekends
    - favoritism
    - poor evaluation system

need to improve evaluation system
    manage better work-life balance

Love to work here, but there's a lot I don't agree with

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Great benefits love working here, but there's a lot that has changed since I first started and there needs to be some changes In upper management if the company wants to be successful

Cons

High turnover and hiring from outside the company hurts the business. Outside hires don't understand the workload and hours so they end up leaving. Others leave because they cannot advance due to outside hires. Lots of floorsets, updates, price changes etc workload is so high you can't focus on your business. They want you to reach your goals and numbers and you can't even take the time to focus on customers bc of the work.. They want you to be sales driven but that doesn't happen. They force you and hold you accountable for reaching their credit card goals and survey results.. Makes you question job security..

Give internal candidates a chance. They understand the business and workload. Understand that in this economy not a lot of people want credit cards so don't make us feel like we have to pressure our customers to sign up.. They don't like it.. Also stop with all the updates. The floorsets should be done once a month and that's it! Don't need to redo a wall 5 times in a week!!! We want to focus on our customers so let us!

Unrealistic expecations!

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great PTO and good Pay for Mgmt

Cons

As someone who loves a very busy, challenging atmosphere, the workload is ridiculous. You do not get the chance to appreciate the work you have accomplished because corporate changes it just before the moment its due and doesn't change the due date. You are running around 100% of the time to attempt to keep up only to be told that you need to be at the same time talking to every customer multiple times on 2 person coverage with 1 of those 2 people ringing out customers the whole time, leaving one person to the customers and all the workload, and security from all the theft... . I never even hear from my DM-and when I do he is worried about dust bunnies! Really?!

Give us payroll!!!! It means-more product processed, neater organized stores, and customer service. All of which means more $ for you. Instead of cutting payroll...how about cutting some of the crazy benefits given at the corporate level-unlimited sick time Never have I heard of such a thing prior. The insane workload for 1 person to handle really is ridiculous. It leaves employees without that sense of accomplishment. Do not totally change a floorset that has been worked on and prepped on for a week +, just hours before it is due and tell us "it is still due at the normal time..oh and you have to be out of the store 30 mins after closing and before opening, so do not use any extra hours to get the work done".

I have been with the company for over 5 years and am now a Sales Lead.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I work with are more like family to me vs coworkers. Our discount is 30% off which helps if you have children.

Cons

They don't give enough payroll to complete what they are asking of their employees. I feel like I work so hard and only get paid pennies. They only offer full time positions to store managers and assistant managers but require that you have open availability. The workload is always heavy and they always, ALWAYS send over updates to changes they originally put into place. They have no idea what is going on at the store level but wants every store to comply with every move, change, and /or request.

Find out what each individual store is in need of from the district manager, stop generalizing stores based off another that doesn't compare in sales, payroll or merchandise. Bring back transfers!!!!! It will help us push what is selling at our location. Consider offering more full time positions to seasoned associates.

Fast-Paced, Demanding Work with little to no recognition or acknowledgment from upper management - wage poor.

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people, it is their passion and commitment that uphold the Co.

Cons

No room for advancement, Co. is reactive not proactive in all areas, no recognition unless its taken upon yourself, compensation poor if not forgotten.

Stop sieving money into unnecessary investments like the ridiculous weekly marketing changes that no one recognizes or appreciates - THAT JUST END UP IN THE TRASH! TRY RECYCLING SOMETHING! If you can manage to same a few dollars try to reinvest them in the associates, they have more than earned a raise or a pay increase something more than minimum wage - Burger King pays better than us!

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!