The Children's Place

Updated 29 January 2015
2.3

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent hours, family like co-workers

Cons

Hours vary too much (one week 5 hours, the next week 30), push you as close to full time as possible if the store can, too much work, not enough hours for the store, they hire anyone and everyone, unprofessional, company is a joke, they dont care about the associates, no place for advancement, poor raises, raises depend on store not individuals performance

Needs lots of improvements

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great employee discount - 30%

Cons

Lack of management direction
    No training
    Stores are understaffed and that creates extra work
    Poor organization/communication
    The on-call system is very inconvenient. The days you're supposed to be off, they put you on call and because of the lack of staff, they end up calling you in or ask you to come in earlier or stay late. So, the work-life balance is out the window. The company pretty much owns you 7 days a week.

No benefits for being an employee, constant floor set changes

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get access to shipment as it comes in, therefore the sizes you need are usually available. And who wouldn't like to look at baby clothes all day?!

Cons

The employee discount is often as good as coupons that come out. If we have a PLACE card, employees do not receive the additional 5% for using it (WHY!?!). Employees are also flagged for using gift cards even though I ask for them for Christmas/birthdays for my own kids since it's primarily where I shop; that seems unfair. Higher ups are unaware of the time it takes a store to suddenly redo/"update" a floor set within the same week it is set. Silly things from changing walls to taking everything you just folded on a table and hanging it back on hangers, or vice versa. Stores aren't allotted enough hours to compensate for shipment and floor upkeep as well as solid customer service.

If you want your stores to meet their daily goals, why don't you STOP HAVING BETTER ONLINE SALES?! How/why do you expect customers to come in with their little 30% coupon when you do 50% off the website with free shipping? Where is the perk there when it's more convenient to shop from home with little kids anyway?

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and the product is priced great

Cons

Under staffed no payroll to many changes that are expected to be done in an unreasonable time frame. Upper management doesnt care about in store employees

Spend time and listen to your employees.

Previous Employee

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

great people, fun work environment

Cons

don't promote within, poor upper management

Worse Places to Work

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Started off as a great place to work and then it slowly went down hill. There was not enough payroll given to complete the amount of work they wanted us to do. We had to do floorsets during regular selling hours and even during busy times. The pay for management roles is very noncompetitive compared to other retail businesses.

Cons

Everything about this place from an employee perspective is terrible.

Support your staff more on the floor.

Working for The Children's Place

I worked at The Children's Place (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing store manager and management team.

Cons

Corporate Offices are very unfair in wages of employees and management. No raises in a year and a half, and when it came time to "annual review", employees were laid-off. Bad business practices from corporate headquarters.

Keep up the great customer service.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at The Children's Place has been a great experience. Over the last 4 years that I've worked here, I have learned so much about running a business and developing great leaders.

I have had many personal growth opportunities as well. Most recently I have been working at HQ, covering a role while someone was on an LOA. This opportunity allowed me to learn a totally new and different side to our business. Having worked in the field for over 15 years, what I've learned at HQ will help me do my job better.

District and regional managers are very open to new ideas. They also realize and respect that just because something works in one store, it doesn't work in them all.

Cons

There are many changing priorities, most of which come down with very little notice. Leaders that are not flexible and willing to change plans to meet the new priorities will not do well here.

Many of the changes that are made are due to a reaction to the business. If field leaders had a better understanding of the why behind the change, then it would be easier to get buy in from more people.

Very good experience

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Very family friendly enviroment. I was hired as management. I loved the job, my coworkers and clientele.

Cons

The only con is having to work retail hours which can't be avoided. Also the holiday season will run you ragged but that is to be expected.

Easy and Fun

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

To start off MY managers are great. They're very helpful and care about other employees concerns. They really want you to do well so they take their time to train you. The associate discount is always a plus.

Cons

Definitely the customers, they're a challenge. Some are rude, some are nice, some just think they're superior than you. I'm nice and friendly to everyone who walks in our store, but there's no pleasing everyone. But what can you do then? Not much but continue to be nice.

The Children's Place Photos