The Children's Place

Updated 17 September 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job, I enjoyed my experience there.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good discount if you have children in your life; co-workers and management were friendly; great environment for retail.

Cons

There weren't a lot of hours to be given, some weeks I wouldn't get any hours; management seemed a little passive at times to any issues that might have arisen.

Don't do it

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Tyler, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Tyler, TX (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Competitive salary if you are anything more than a sales associate

Cons

- Everything. Too many floor sets
    - Management doesn't care about you
    - They brainwash you and try to make you think that the "company" is the only thing on the planet
    - Sneaky, dishonest, backstabbers
    - Company doesn't care about you

Understand that nobody really wants to do this forever, lighten up, realize you aren't the center of the universe. Become a real person. Managers, these aren't "your" stores. You do all of the work for someone else. You don't own the store, the company, anything. You are not in charge of anything and never will be. Find a job that matters and changes lives. Children's clothing isn't important, it doesn't change lives, you leave no impact with this job so stop acting like you will be remembered for running a clothing store.

Bad upper management

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

good team, lots of things to learn

Cons

hours, bad upper management. overworked and underpaid

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wouldn't ever go back.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Woodbridge, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing, they Didn't value employess much. Very rude management

Cons

Everything. Literally. It was horrible working there.

Stop doing favorites

RUN, don't walk, away!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Summer hours, Starbucks in walking distance.

Cons

Where to begin? Horrible management, constant turnover, everyone walking around waiting to be terminated, elitist, greedy CEO and upper management, little to no morale because raises are few and far between (thanks but no thanks for the "performance awards"... We're not in grade school and your dopey award won't pay my mortgage), corrupt HR department that makes hiring/firing decisions about other departments with absolutely no knowledge of those departments' needs or even functions, constant meetings to discuss other meetings and future meetings, upper management nickels and dimes employees to death on salary but goes to great lengths to insure their own astronomical salaries; nasty, catty CEO who thinks nothing of humiliating and demoralizing other executives in front of others...ugh, the list goes on.

Terminate entire executive team starting with the CEO and start over!

Worst place I've ever worked!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

Schedule is flexible
    Good hours
    Discount benefits

Cons

Extreme workload for low pay. Its seriously not worth working for a company who doesn't care about their employes. I worked there for a long time and I never got a raise. They expect so much from you and they don't even take the time to train you properly. There are no opportunities to grow in the company. One of the worst jobs I've ever had.

...

Neutral

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Niles, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Niles, OH (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Store discount was great .

Cons

Make sure you can handle a lot stress

over worked and understaffed with horrible management.

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier  in  Houma, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Houma, LA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was good, always busy, helping the customers choose items and seeing children was a blessing. doing promos, and price changes were frequent but not a problem.

Cons

the drive was terrible, manager was horrendous. Yelled at children, and kept pay from workers and wouldn't get paid for certain hours. felt like I was working by my self since co-workers were always on the phone. would talk down to employees. SHOULD NOT BE IN MANAGEMENT.

Find someone who actually cares about children and their staff.

Will Work You To Death

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

I cant think of one.

Cons

They will take advantage of you.

Get a clue all your price changes aren,t going to help you once you figure out that it is how you treat your employees that will help you, you might stand a chance. Save the money you spent on cookies and give more payroll.

Overly stressful for management team and also sales staff

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits. I've grown close to so many of my employees that I hate to see them go

Cons

We are constantly under such a huge amount of workload that we can't even service our customers or train new hires. We get no pay roll and as soon as a floorset comes out we get updates to change it and price changes. We are constantly told that we must greet, offer mesh bags, give promos and make sure your also getting Place Cards as well. You have the best members on your team so busy tasking that they can't stop or they will fall so far behind it's ridiculous. Constantly want picture updates so there's the added pressure that it has to be done and with perfection but traffic and sales aren't taken into consideration. We could make so much more money for the store if we had time to work with our customers instead we always work on only 2 coverage so your best person is working on shipment marketing or floorset while your least experienced is on the registrar...not very smart. Also management has to come up with fun neat things to send in on top of workload that show we are teaching our teams (that's great but stop throwing so much at as where it can be done with thought behind it) we are also required to have certain paperwork done everyday and monthly that management is so stressed half the time and hurting physically from the workload as well we can't be at the top of our game

Stop with all the updates...I understand the why of it...something isn't selling like you thought so let's move it and put it here and price it different. Or there has to be a way to cut back on either workload or give us more payroll so that we and be more affective. A better trained employee is more of an asset a over worked tired employee is not. You've got your top players out of the game if you care about sales then let us do what we are best at and give the customer what they need because in the end it's about them and maybe that shirt you just moved would be selling better if someone with the skill set had been able to have the time to add-on and show them all the great stuff we've gotten in

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!