The Children's Place Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

2.3

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

I did not like working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

fun environment, alot of kids, busy, and interactive

Cons

very low working hours at least at the scaborough town centre location (Toronto, Canada), I worked there for two days until I found a better job and they never paid me. I contacted my manager, HR, and payroll and they said they will fix it "as soon as possible" which is ridiculous if you ask me. Also its long hours on your feet and large work load. They hired alot of employees and only gav each sale associate 3 hour shifts.

Update payroll and make it more organized, give employees more working hours and relieve the workload

Clueless upper management

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance.

Cons

Senior mgt (DM, RM, and up) does not have a clue as to what it really takes to run a store. Between floor sets, price changes, shipment, and training employees there will never be enough time given to any area of need. They took away all training hours but expect you to fully train all new associates, leads, ect. Any down time available is usually spent on shipment or trying to complete the visual updates that they give every week. You aren't able to keep good associates around because of lack of hours. The competition is there with more hours and better pay. During peak times associates are too busy with pos transactions at the service desk helping other customers check out while the merchandise is walking out the door. They always give the hope of extra hours for back to school or holiday times but never follow through. Therefore customers are not given the attention they are truly needed on the sales floor. They expect you to push too much on the customer at the time of check out. It looses the personal side of the interaction of the sale with the customer when you have 8 or more things you have to upsell to the customer before they leave.

Listen to your team and trust their decisions. Give back the training budget and hours for holiday. You'll gain it back with the merchandise that sells instead of it walking out the door unpaid.

blah

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits for part time employees
    Typical retail job

Cons

Management under a lot of pressure and in turn associates are put under a lot of stress for very little pay

Management and Royalty are two different words.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good - Just ridiculously high expectations.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Encouragement to move up
    -Ability to speak to your upper management (DM, RD, LPM) whenever needed; Open Door Policy even though they are not in the office

Cons

-Recent budget cuts decrease the benefits for holiday pay
    -Overly high expectations with extremely limited hours. There is not enough time/payroll to help the customers and complete the floorsets, etc.

Store Level Is a Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

good employee discount, managers have ability to works several aspects of the business, relaxed attitude when it comes to scheduling, usually open to new ideas based on what is best for each store, great promotions for customers, decent raises once a year, nice culture with other stores in district

Cons

pushy with credit cards, stingy with payroll which leads managers to spend a lot of customer service time dealing with visual merchandising, does not promote from within the company/lots of outside hiring

Great part time job.

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Discount on children's clothes and flexible schedule..

Cons

Low pay and set amount of hours that the store can use.

Great Product and promotions for customers.

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay . Great hours and great customers.

Cons

Too many prices changes and moves done daily,weekly as well as monthly.

Don't work with the company.

Great Experience.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great job to have if you need a second job or even just something to get you out of the house. Honesty, it's a really easy job to have!

Cons

Compensation could definitely be better. They do offer health insurance and such but other than that on benefits, unless you're a Store Manager or higher, you don't get bonuses or much more.

Listen to your associates. They know and understand more than you think. Your associates should have more benefits or more incentives. It would help everyone with in the store.

Open, friendly place for work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

The management is friendly, engaging, and always thinking of ways to improve. They are helpful, easy to approach and talk to, and ready to help both the customer as well as their employees. Schedules are flexible, and managers are accommodating and very fair and understanding.

Cons

Hours are inconsistent. It is difficult to determine a stable or consistent paycheque, as you could work an abundance of hours during the holidays but then drop to only a few in a week immediately after.

Store Lead

Current Employee - Store Lead  in  Mishawaka, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Store Lead in Mishawaka, IN (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

There's always room to grow with this company. I was hired in for holiday help and I was promoted to Store Lead a couple months later.

Cons

It's retail so the pay isn't as good as I would like.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!