The Children's Place

Updated 19 August 2014

2.3

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay away

Former Employee - Merchandise Planning & Allocation  in  Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planning & Allocation in Secaucus, NJ (US)

Pros

The people are great and try to make TCP a fun place in order to cope with the huge amounts of stress and high expectations.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Every man /womanfor themselves culture. No teamwork or assistance from managers. Obscene amounts of work. No training. Extremly stressful environment. 0 appreciation for work done or the amount of work it takes do do all of their ad hoc and side projects. Stay Away!!

Get a clue. It isn't worth pinching every penny when your entire staff is unhappy. Learn to treat your employees with some respect and appreciate them for their contributions instead of constantly pointing out their failures.

The Children's Place

Pros

employee discount, fun atmosphere quality products

Cons

lousy pay and very little hours

Fun career, never a dull moment.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Management is open and honest

Cons

so little time to complete all tasks needed

more hours needed to train the right people for their jobs, we stress the right person for the right place at the right time but if they don't walk into the store as that person....we can't invest in them right away without sacrificing time away from our customers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No communication

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros

pay was better than most in retail, quality merchandise

Cons

No communication from upper mgmt, no real growth opportunity

stop running like a small company, you are not small,

Store Sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

Excellent benefits and employee discount program. Flexible schedule and great team. Wonderful product with very little quality issues.

Cons

Very little room for advancement once you are a Store Manager. Being a salaried employee leads to working many long hours.

Improve communication and project timelines.

Great benifits and work enviornment

Former Employee - Production Manager  in  Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)

Pros

Great benifits and work environment, good people.

Cons

The lack of structure and leadership. Constant changes in policy and process.

More team building and managment training.

Exhausting...

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

PTO is bountiful, higher pay scale than most for management, great connections with awesome customers (both internal and external), great product!

Cons

High expectations with small time frames (and little payroll of course), constant changes to floor sets and sale changes that make absolutely no sense, no sense of accomplishment due to never being "done", discount was great until the customer coupons started matching employee discount, selling a Citibank backed in-store credit card that offers very little incentive for the customer (5%...really?)

Figure it out people! The company direction is going the wrong way...you need to build a structured communication system and stick with it. Nobody knows the "why" of what we are doing and that feels unstable and chaotic.

The worst company to ever work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

-Deep discounts on merchandise
    -Actual job is easy

Cons

-Poor upper management
    -Lack of recognition
    -No opportunity for personal growth

The quality of the work enviornment depends directly upon the management, which goes constantly unchecked. They hire store managers from outside of the company, who are untrained and ill-equipped to do their job, and then rely on assistant managers to fill in the gap. Meanwhile, assistant managers who have been with the company for years, and virtually run their stores, get constantly passed over for promotions and recieve no recognition. District managers are increasingly self-serving, withholding information from associates, and offering false information and hope on future promotions. They hire friends in important positions, that don't do their job, and usually don't last more than six months. In one year, my store went through over FOUR store managers. Their is no work-life balance with store managers demanding coverage for on-calls with less than ten minute notice, unbalanced scheduling, and setting unrealistic demands for the team. The management is EXTREMELY unproffessional, with the constant gossip of other associates and managers. Assistant managers do more than Store managers, for a fraction of the pay and recognition. Associates recieve no recognition for their hard work and are forced to sacrifice more than upper management.

Store Sales Manager

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager

Pros

Great team within my own location as well as a couple of my fellow SSM's.

Cons

Outrageous expectations and absolutely no support to get the heavy workload completed. Unqualified upper management. Micro managing experienced, successful SSM's to the point of complete frustration. Pay is way below industry standard. No positive recognition...but there is plenty of time for negative recognition. You make company issued plans, work your tail off to beat them, only to have them set them higher and higher so there is no possible way for you to make bonus or have a successful review at the end of the year. You're told to get your store perfect for VP visit...do what it takes...only to be told AFTER the visit "No one should work 12 hour days for a visit prep, your stores should be that perfect all the time" no "thank you for the hard work"...nothing. Completely unmotivational.

You're setting up your store management up for failure. Managers take their jobs seriously, work hard, give you good results and the only thanks is..."Now we want even more from you. Here are your new, out of reach goals" You will continue to lose great management, at a rapid rate, until you get this under control. Hire qualified leaders (District Managers) that actually know how to lead a team. Not "favorite" SSM's with no people skills.

I have never seen a more disorganized company in my 26 year career!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Green, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Green, OR (US)

Pros

Lots of paid time off! My staff is full of great people and we are a strong team. There is a new challenge everyday that keeps the job from being boring.

Cons

In the average store you are given enough payroll to have 2 staff members in the store all day. With those 2 people you are asked to service every customer with a greet, talk about daily promos, hand out mesh shopping bags, tell them about rewards, tell them about the in house credit card and smile while the customer treats you like a dog and your store like a garbage pile. While you service every customer you need to be finishing freight(that we get everyday), setting new sale events (that change daily), set a new window(weekly), do markdowns(sent on Monday night around closing time due by Tuesday morning at open), scan every item to insure proper marketing is in place, set a floorset by Thursday only to update it by Friday because the visual department at corporate is full of incompetent people. And while we juggle all of that the rude customers can't understand why we are pissed when they let their children grab entire stacks of folded product and throw it in the air like confetti. Or why we can't take the time to price check every item they want us to one by one for thirty minutes straight. And God help us if we have a customer complaint about us locking our doors at closing time and not unlocking it for that customer that wants to come in at 10 minutes after closing time. Our superiors NEVER back us up even when we simply try to enforce the always changing policies.

Get it figured out before you send it to the stores. My Grandfather always said work smarter not harder. Unfortunately we need corporate to be smarter because we want to only do the work right the first time so we can move on to providing customer service. And if you can't figure it out let your store managers do what we know how to do! We are your greatest asset.... treat us ad such!

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!