The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

I really won't recommend the job to anyone it actually is too much and stresses me out .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is the best thing.

ConsNo one can ever cover for I'm the only one reliable at the job. DONT really get hours I have an Open availablity and don't get no hour I can do Floor set, register, stock, great recovery , great customer service and is always willing to work .but when the company don't give hours nothing can really be done & they claim they want to make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush Sales Associates way to much. Which Creates stress and upset & If associates are upset they will take it out on customers which creates customers complain. Job is too much to deal with and such little pay. Associates deal with Rude customer, Push them for place card , push to get customers to spend more money pushing reward program cleaning and recovering floor set being done trying to keep store neat.tooo much to handle .

High expectation job

ProsGreat people, and fun job

ConsCustomers are rude, pay is low, and the have unrealistic expectations for you job.

Nice staff, sucky hours

ProsCo workers and managers were relatively nice.

ConsHours sucked. Only about 4-8 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benifits and work enviornment

Production Manager (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ (US)

ProsGreat benifits and work environment, good people.

ConsThe lack of structure and leadership. Constant changes in policy and process.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team building and managment training.

No communication

Store Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

Prospay was better than most in retail, quality merchandise

ConsNo communication from upper mgmt, no real growth opportunity

Advice to Senior Managementstop running like a small company, you are not small,

Busy work environment but great deals.

ProsGood discounts. Plenty to keep busy with as far as work goes.

ConsFrom management standpoint, there is a lot that is expected of you. Company only gives out bare minimum as far as hours/coverage goes.

Horrible Co. and way of business

Sales Lead (Former Employee) Garland, TX (US)

ProsMet only one employee out of 12 workers that was really nice.Only pro of this co.

ConsWorking on time very micro managed and not enough time team leaders will not pick up where u left off.Dm of Dallas talks to u in a baby voice and his very rude doesnt speak to employee's only mgt.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll staff is of value. Support every employee and acknowledge them.And do not ask employee's to take pics of other stores for your project after dark and not clock them in for there after hrs work for you.RESPECT

Unrealistic expectations; cuts costs whenever possible.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsI met some really great people, made some great friends, learned excellent time management from the abundance of tasks to get done. My boss (DM) was awesome. A lot of room for growth. (I started as a sales lead, was a store manager within 2 years and managed 3 different stores for the company; although people drop like flies there so there are always open positions.)

ConsNo payroll!!! (I probably would have stayed if I wasn't forced to run a $1.5 million store on 190 hours a week; same amount of hours I was given for a $900,000 store). Disorganized; there's always changes to policies, product recalls, floorset changes/updates the day after floorset is completed, same day pricing changes. Unrealistic expectations; they will give you an entire season floorset and expect you to get it done with no added hours (no one ever got it done on time, at least in the bigger stores). Shipment was relentless, 120-180 boxes/week with no resources to get it done. Supply ordering is very budgeted. Most months just ordering bags took me to my budget limit so I had to buy handsoap and cleaner out of pocket to have it in store.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate people need to go into a high volume store and watch them work on the hours that they're given with the workload they are given and see how crazy it can get when you factor in the customer traffic and demand. Try a different approach and learn from the people that work for you instead of making ridiculous demands. Get feedback and actually listen to it.

Aweful company.

District Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are none ! .. Zero , zip , nada.

ConsRead all the bad reviews ... They are all true. The ones that are descent just haven't been there long enough or are just have not experienced anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly the Executives know nothing about building a successful business ... It's about building relationships , not disrespecting people. , mass producing clothes that are carried over year after year .. That's why the clothing is less than appealing and cheaply made ... And why they can afford to sell things for 1.99. !! Highest GM is made on that clearance crap ... Terrible company , no integrity ... Or company ethics

Disappointed at best

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you have kids, it's a decent clothing discount

ConsNo payroll for anything. No training hours for any level except store manager or above, no shipment hours, no floor set hours, and extemely high customer service standards and the expectations change quarterly depending on which person you talk to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease please stop over working employees! We cannot continue to work for minimum pay and minimum benefits. If it matters at all to retain good people than please change your payroll structure and appreciate the people in the field actually making you money everyday.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!