The Children's Place

Updated 19 November 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 54 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive working environment and culture. Truely wants the best for Children and the people that work in the stores.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong culture, autonomous working environment in my department. Good salary and benefits. Had the opportunity to do want I loved to do with people that I liked every day.

Cons

Very poltical home office environment. Became all about the dollar. Feel that CEO was very disconnected from the field. Making decisions without transparency.

Very important to be honest with your teams.

Assistant Manager expectations/rewards

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good 401k. Awesome vacation pkg. U get $bonuses as long as u leverage payroll ie Sell more merchandise than payroll hours given to achieve $x sales...only got this once. Payout of $30.00. In my 2 yrs of working for them. I had great ssm when I was hired, but she got transferred and I got stuck with a manager that expected me to do everything, while she was "out sick" or on a "vacation" ... mind u these vacations usually took place during our BackToSchool Sales or just before a Company visit. I should have transferred with the SSM that hired me... I would have been trained better as a pier Not just an employee.

Cons

Conversion...30% daily i.e.. each customer that walk in Buys something. DOR- division of responsibility. My SSM, I was left with, never gave me any "props" always a poor mark or a "u don't do enough" complaint. I cannot force people to open Charge Cards. I cannot, empty all the freight, get it all put away perfectly, do your schedule, do all the transfers, set all the Windows and floorsets and make our Store Sales of at least $4000.00 a day without some other manager actually being IN the store to help on occasion. And O by the way keep the store clean and neat and smile at all the customers and personally help all the customers. Also, we had DM Conference. Call's weekly...which she usually missed. "DM?'s. "Why didn't you make your sales...what is your selling plan this week? Why wasn't all the freight processed? Why did u call in people this week you don't have the sales to say it's OK to call in more people?!" "Really?! Why don't u ask to speak to your SSM? ... whatever!

Upper Management should hold their SSM Accountable...they should check on them to see if they are actually in the store. They should make sure their SSM is training their Assistant Managers to do what is expected of them...not just finding fault with them. The SSM should be In Store During PEAK Season... but I have worked retail long enough to know...Upper Management probably could care less about their Store "filler" associates...They just want the SSM to have their sales goals met any way they get it, is fine. .. just don't let the District $$ show a decrease. DMs should hire SSM that want to be In Store and encourage their Team to move up and guide their Team with Support for successful sales.

BEWARE OF FAKE REVIEWS MADE BY CORPORATE

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Met a great friend, literally, nothing else.

Cons

I've already made a review BUT I'm here to warn you about the FAKE reviews made by corporate! There a handful of reviews below me that are obvious it's corporate trying to make this place look good. If you read all the rest you'll see they are 90% saying almost the exact same things about how horrible it is to work there. My friend still works there and she goes to the district meetings and they talk about all these negative reviews on glassdoor. They see all the problems on here, yet they still ignore them and act like they have no idea why people hate/hated working there? So of course it makes sense that people are making fake reviews. Also, don't even read the reviews of district managers bc one, they have NO idea what it's like working in the actual store, not just sitting in an office, two, of course they are going to say good stuff to make the place look good. These people hands down are slave drivers with IMPOSSIBLE expectations and they don't care about you or your family. Yes, you can accomplish everything they want you to do, BUT you WILL have to break rules/laws, sacrifice your diet, sanity, morals, and family to do so. These people are vampires that will suck the life out of you and pay you nothing for it. A sales lead, assistant manager, and manager are the SAME THING. If you're a sales lead you do 90% of what the manager does, you just get paid 10-15 dollars less. (Smart move TCP) You WILL work your butt I off, you WILL have frequent meltdowns/panic attacks from the work, and you WILL be highly under appreciated. They 100% don't tell you in the interview or upfront exactly how much work you'll have or how many expectations they'll have of you. Also, it's not that the regular associates are lazy or just don't want to put effort in bc it's a part time job, they get like 6-10 hours a week at like 7.30 an hour and have the lead or manager constantly up their butt bc the manager/sales lead only have them to help with the endless tasks that should take 3-5 people to get it all done. If this company has a 2 rating and TONS of bad reviews it's for a reason, listen to it and save yourself months or years of pointless trouble! Don't assume that all the bad reviews are by people burned by tcp, speaking for myself, I read the reviews, but was misled by the company and tricked into thinking this was a good opportunity, and it ruined 6 months of my life and I just want to try my hardest to make sure people don't fall into this same path. It's not only associates who suffer, customers too. You have so much stuff to do between only 2 people, that the stores a mess, hard to shop, the associates are so aggravated and stressed they are rude to customers or short or just don't have any time at all to help them. Plus only saving FIVE percent with a place card? Seriously! Interest is like 28%. Ridiculous.

There's no point in this bc management doesn't care, they think the companies doing great and they won't change.

Nice place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discounts, friendly staff, clean, not over-staffed

Cons

Boring, low pay, not enough hours

Offer more incentives

Ridiculous

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Very very hard working associates

Cons

Run run far away from this place!!!!! Absolutely no payroll to support the workload. On 2/2 coverage continually, even during back to school and holiday,with 20, 30, 40+ cartons rolling in daily. Along with major flloorset monthly and visual moves weekly or more often, along with 2000 markdowns, pricing changes every couple days-I've never seen so many signs in a store in my life-window changes, redress the 40 mannequins. No hours for training. And remember to service every customer, give them the mesh bag you have to wear on your shoulder, get them to open a credit card, sign them up for the rewards program, ask them to take the online suevey=all of this while your freight sits unprocessed in the stockroom. These are all fine and dandy on paper, but REALLY, this expectation is not humanly possible. GET A CLUE TCP

I researched and read negative reveiws. It was all true. I noticed first in the interview when their honesty mimicked exactly what I read.

Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the store I worked in, the schedule was extremely flexible.

Cons

Although there was flexibility as far as the schedule, there was no hours to switch of call out for an emergency. How does that happen, you ask? Well my location would function on 169.00 hours. There was no time to do the work that needed to be done. As a manager you literally do it all. Paper work, shipment, clean, watch the floor, ring transactions, help customers, and babysit employees instead of mamage them. Most of this fine when there are more than one on one coverage. That's tight there's only two people in the store most of the time. And leaving the store to eat or do garbage are not possible without three people in the store.(unless done before hand). There are no benefits and the pay is ridiculously low. There are no hours for training and bad communication throughout shifts. No development to move in the company.

Stores outside of the malls need hours too. Training should be implemented to actually develop employees to grow. Management should manage not babysit employees. Pay should be raised.

No payroll and no time for a personal life.

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great district manager and great benefits. The customers are great for the most part. The quality of our product is really great considering how low the prices are. Really great trendy product for an exceptional price.

Cons

2/2 coverage almost all year. It's hard to squeeze in time for a bathroom break. The workload is ridiculous considering you have no payroll.

Listen to your store manager's feedback. We are in our stores everyday. We are living and breathing everything that you guys set in motion. Listen to our feedback and value it.
      Some of the cut backs are absolutely unreasonable. We aren't allowed to hire any part time sales associate at a wage higher than minimum wage! How can we get quality employees at that wage? You get what you pay for in most cases. Usually only minors are interested in a job once they hear we only pay minimum wage.

Not the worst place to work

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent heath benefits and a Paid Time Off

Cons

The technology is outdated
    Product that is coming into stores is not seasonably appropriate (Example: 3-in-Jackets rolling into to Southern stores in early August)
    Visual communications from company are flawed at best
    Little payroll is going into the stores. Based on the ability of the corporate office to get things done for stores, I'm guess they are in the same boat.

Right now it feels like the company is saving for something special, like maybe a pony. The problem I have is, I don't know what the company is saving for. All I know from working in the store is I'm not getting technology that is equivalent to our competitors, repairs to my store in a timely manner (I have some major repairs that need to done but no one seems to care or have the power to do anything), the ability to call in an extra person when we are having a fantastic sales day, or wear now product. The company needs to tell us in the stores what we are saving money for. After walking into one of our competitors store yesterday and selling their product and sales support I'm sorry to say that I don't think we stand a chance.

They have a great Brand but

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers and their children are the best. The clothes are great quality

Cons

This company needs to get their act together, Floor sets are simple and well explained but the updates to the sets are overwhelming. You set the plan and they change it and then once you correct it they change it again. You have no payroll and you work 2 openers and 2 closers plus you must meet sales goals. Who has time to make all these crazy changes and they wonder why your customers services scores are low! They want all these tasks done but give you no support, oh we did get cookies one time and a note LMBO! Pretty lame!

Run as fast as you can this company talks about a Life Balance and give you great benefits but getting to use them is tough! Always to much to do and you can only use 5 days at a time! With permission!

Good place to get some work experience

Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team that surrounds you instantly becomes like a family. Depending on your store they usually work around your school schedule

Cons

Too much work for the pay that is offered. The company policies often lead to confrontations with the customers. Inconsistent hours, horrible pay.

Nothing