The Children's Place

Updated 30 October 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 54 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't recommend

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is good only if you have kids. Other than that I can't really say anything good about working here.

Cons

They give you no hours and the pay is really really bad. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. It's a waste.

Give more hours

Great pay, bad job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount and you get to learn a lot of different aspects of the business.

Cons

The company communication channel could be a lot better organized. There is never enough time to replenish or recover the store properly and this is due to payroll being such an issue.

Payroll is what allows for the company to make money. If there aren't enough hours for there to be enough employees the stores will continue to be trashed, not replenished to it maximum and lacking in associates to ring and help customers shop.

Good Manager Starter Job.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carlsbad, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carlsbad, CA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount, good benefits for full timers, depends on manager on balancing schedule but I had a good experience.
    its a fast paced environment so your delegation as a manager come to test. If you are the typer of manager that wants to sit and chill on the computer this is not the job for you. Energetic environment with right staff.

Cons

District Managers need to ACTUALLY train their managers, they are the ones representing the company.
    not enough hours given from corporate to develop their associates.
    very part time (except for holidays)

Great Store Management! Great Co-Workers!

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The store management was very organized and makes working there super fun! The discount is great especially when clothing is on sale. The managers at the store had worked there for over 15 years and love the company.

Cons

With any retail job, weekends and some holidays are required. The pay isn't the greatest for the entry level employees, and the raises weren't that great either. They also cut the employee discount within the time I worked there. Sometimes we would have to change around the in a short amount of time (and one time on Christmas Eve!).

DO NOT WORK HERE!

Former Employee - ASM
    Former Employee - ASM

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have not one positive word about this company! Unfortunately, this site will not let me post my review unless I put something here!

Cons

No company culture, no time or payroll to train new employees, long hours, low pay, unprofessional corporate employees, shall I continue?

Stop with the updates! 99%of the time our DM would have no idea what she was talking about...if she ever even showed up. I am so happy I left the company. If you want clueless 19 year olds running your business continue to do exactly what you are doing.

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The great team you work with.

Cons

Company culture, disorganized, no payroll, unrealistic expectations, terrible regional manager, horrible customers, ludacris return policy, 20% increase for ALL internal promotions. The list goes on. Only work if you desperately need the money.

Start over, back to the drawing board!! Show your store teams some appreciation (not cookies) and corporate REALLY needs to help the high volume stores.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only reason I stayed for so long was because my friends wrkd there

Cons

Management was awful, spent most of the time eating and talking in the back just watching us from the security cameras and that was when we finally DID have management since we went around without one for around 3 months. Salary was a joke, I was working full time hours as a part time worker and we never got raises. never got trained and just working there was depressing in general, being surrounded by screaming kids and angry parents all the time having things thrown at you. Rarely ever got to take breaks except for your lunch break and if you happened to miss your scheduled time then you have to fine someone to take your post others wise no lunch for you. Even just going to the bathroom you'd get radioed trying to find where you are and why your not on the floor selling

sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

customer services, busy, employee discount, flexible

Cons

poor management, poor pay scale, poor work hours available

Good luck with that

RUN, don't walk, away!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Summer hours, Starbucks in walking distance.

Cons

Where to begin? Horrible management, constant turnover, everyone walking around waiting to be terminated, elitist, greedy CEO and upper management, little to no morale because raises are few and far between (thanks but no thanks for the "performance awards"... We're not in grade school and your dopey award won't pay my mortgage), corrupt HR department that makes hiring/firing decisions about other departments with absolutely no knowledge of those departments' needs or even functions, constant meetings to discuss other meetings and future meetings, upper management nickels and dimes employees to death on salary but goes to great lengths to insure their own astronomical salaries; nasty, catty CEO who thinks nothing of humiliating and demoralizing other executives in front of others...ugh, the list goes on.

Terminate entire executive team starting with the CEO and start over!

Crazy Town

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount!
    20 days PTO (personal time off) and 10 days sick pay.

Cons

No work-life balance. Don't do it...RUN!

Provide your stores with adequate payroll. Stop with the updates, to the update, to the update...enough already!

The Children's Place Photos