The Lockton Companies

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Lockton Companies CEO and President John L. Lumelleau

John L. Lumelleau

Pros:
  • "Good hours, people, work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great work environment that supports a healthy work-life balance"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "This all creates a poor work / life balance and anything from a 40-45 hour week sometimes even more is the norm for many"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Be prepared to work VERY hard!

Account Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsFast growing company, that genuinely cares about customer and client service. They are happy to sponsor CII and other training, and have remained successful despite the recession. Work is fast paced, but interesting and varied for the most part.

Staff (in my division anyway) are given good opportunities from the start for meeting underwriters, clients and other organisations. The company often holds internal seminars that are genuinely helpful in many cases.

If you want to get involved in new business, special projects etc, generally you can, and management support the staff in learning about other areas outside your own division.

The social life is excellent if you like that sort of thing.

Many of the people employed at Lockton are very knowledgeable and passionate about what they do, which creates a good atmosphere, and almost everyone is very approachable.

ConsPeople are often too scared to admit mistakes, given the 100% accuracy at all times the management expect. This leads to a lot of finger pointing and an 'it was his/her fault, not mine' culture which creates a negative office environment where everyone just covers their back and doesn't look out for their colleagues.

IT (the actual PC's), and associated systems are horribly outdated and slow, which affects your day to day work, every day. It makes no sense that the company pays for enormous swanky new offices then fills them with equipment that in many cases is pushing 10 years old.

New starter training is just non existent and new staff are only brought it when the existing staff are at breaking point in terms of work loads, which then means they then have no time to train the new person. This all creates a poor work / life balance and anything from a 40-45 hour week sometimes even more is the norm for many.

There is an 'all business is good business' attitude which is wrong. The business will keep hold of clients that cost more to service than they provide in income. Whilst a high client retention rate is great, it shouldn't be at the expense of the company profits!

Advice to Senior ManagementLockton provide a great client service, so don't sell the company short by keeping hold of clients that cost more to service than they make in brokerage income for the business. Resign from unprofitable accounts.

Make some investment in IT infrastructure.

Don't demand 100% accuracy when staff are at breaking point. Employ extra staff in advance of picking up new business and improve the training for new starters.

Great company to work for

Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros- provide training
- promote from within
- regular reviews/pay increases
- great company culture

Working for this company has been a great experience. Even with no prior experience in commercial insurance, Lockton not only trains their employees but they also cover the cost of classes related to insurance designations through the Institutes, as well as providing their own continuing education classes.

Office culture is great, no micromanaging (at least from what I have experienced). Beer Fridays every week where employees are encouraged to relax and socialize. Competitive benefits and no problems getting time off. The Denver office has around 300 employees and turnover rate is fairly low. If anything, they are growing rapidly.

ConsLearning the internal systems can be challenging, but associates are more than willing to help.

Great place to work.

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployee bonuses, Reasonably priced health care, Fun employee activities, Cares about the community and charities, Excellent Christmas Party

ConsLocated on the Country Club Plaza, which is not easily accessible from major highways and can be busy during holidays, spring break, and the art fair.

Great place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture, challenging career, opportunity for promotion, wonderful coworkers and mentors. Can't say enough good about this place.

ConsThe one and only con: compensation is pretty low. Talented people often leave Lockton for jobs where they are adequately compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay associates what they are worth in effort to attract and keep the best talent.

Work hard, play hard party boys

Account Administrator (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLockton offers great training, and brings employee professionalism and service skills up a notch or 2 or 3. While the departmental demeanor/personality may vary, there is definitely a "work hard, play hard" ethic. It offers great opportunities to some. A great place to start straight out of college.

ConsWhile opportunities are offered to some, there is a somewhat conspicuous and inappropriate nature to whom they are afforded. They seem to prefer those who have the time to "play hard" - i.e. the young, unmarried, without family commitments. And people able to accept entry-level pay. I suppose many companies do so, but not so conspicuously.

Great for starting out your career

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUpward mobility is fairly attainable

ConsLacks diversity, not interested in women in leadership and there is no development program for aspiring leaders. salaries are lower than competitors, management is slow to make changes to offerings that can help customers

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the first 3cons

Collections

Client Receivables Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to work, with lots of benefits. Good to their employees and flexible working hours

ConsPay is a little on the low side

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to promote within the company

Great group of people to work with, but long hours.

Risk Analyst (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsBeer Fridays, cab vouchers, culture, easy to move up or to a different department

ConsIt is expected of you to work long hours or take work home to get everything done. The pay is slightly less than comparable companies.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people

Growing company with an incredible culture, great people, and defined pathways to success

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat culture, private ownership, fun/balanced work environment, great learning opportunities

ConsSlow compensation increases for younger, internally developed talent - employees often leave and return to get deserved value

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove identification of talent and provide compensation rather than waiting for the threat of departure to adequately compensate employees

I love my job

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere, co-workers, management, and learning opportunities

ConsSalary and compensation are low. Raises happen early, but are not enough to make up for the low salary.

Worked for The Lockton Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Lockton Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for The Lockton Companies CEO John L. Lumelleau. All 70 reviews are posted anonymously by The Lockton Companies employees.