The Standard Reviews

Updated 10 August 2014

2.6

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Pros
  • Great location in downtown Portland (in 13 reviews)

• Good people, good benefits, fair location (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated (in 8 reviews)

• The news that layoffs were coming in favor of outsourcing to India was announced by the IT VP a few months ago (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved working here. Great management. Treated Everybody with respect.

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Processor  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Processor in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flex time. Interested and respectful management. Everyone nice because they liked their jobs.

Cons

Hard moving up.

Most management was awesome. Of course my advice to every manager everywhere is NOT to micromanage.

Low capability managers and leaders

Former Employee - IT Employee  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - IT Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great focus on contributing to the community and giving back. Summer hours were a value add.

Cons

While you are there you definitely recognize the low capability of the managers and leaders. The longer you stay the more complacent you become until the lack of leadership completely erodes all motivation and drive. You become part of the problem. I finally was able to shake this off and realize it was time for a change. Going somewhere else with strong leadership in IT, I was re-vitalized. It was like waking up from a long sleep. I'm talking like Sleeping Beauty kind of sleep. If you are there, get out while you still have the will. If you are not there, know going in that the community as a whole knows that Standard is full of mediocre managers and leaders. You will have to work hard at appearing marketable if you go to Standard and look for other companies to go to later. It's not that the leaders and managers dont want to do the right thing, they just dont know how.....

Broaden your horizons, empower your people, shake off the mediocrity

Great Company

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

got the best dedicated employees, team leaders are very supportive

Cons

difficult to grow because of a younger mgmt team. competitive co-workers

promote from within

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle management and "yes man/woman" heavy

Current Employee - Claims Analyst  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As has been said before, you do feel like part of a family.

Cons

It's very possible that your job could be relocated (something that takes months of planning) and you are given as little notice as possible. You will be not offered any real assistance in transferring jobs.

There is far too much middle management and hands in the pot. Too many "yes men/women" seem to get those middle management positions and therefore, any decision by upper management does not get the thorough debate that it may need.

Also too many middle managers who create projects to justify their positions without truly realizing the possible impacts - a prime example is when the phone system was "upgraded" with a minimum (if any) of end user testing and user training. The service level - which had been excellent prior - went down the tubes. The solution? Mandatory OT on already stressed employees.

Consider sorting the wheat from the chaff when it comes to management. Consider having a few people who will question things versus blindly approving whatever the boss says. The lack of dissenting opinions is what causes the most issues.

Became an employee as part of a merger

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable hours, efficient systems, good location, some up word mobility, flexible schedule, undemanding tasks, pretty good benefits, some good managers

Cons

I became an employee when my company was bought out. It seemed like it would be a good place to work as an original employee but as part of a merger we were treated as second class citizens so I never really had a true "Standard" employee experience.

Not a horrible place to work

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

Adequate advancement & educational opportunities

Cons

Management leaves something to be desired

Would not recommend

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Relaxed environment, lots of autonomy, summer hours.

Cons

Management has been horrible. Employee surveys are being conducted from employees dissatisfaction. Hardly any clarity on employee growth or advancement planning. Employee disorganized with a lot of random testing to see what management structure will work.

Set clear goals and expectations, including team managers communicating team member expectations. Without that, the right employees are not identified and the firm as a whole suffers.

Solid with Issues

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location in Downtown Portland. Depending on the area you work in, the hours and stress level can be reasonable for a corporate environment, but can't say that is consistent across all areas of the company. The company also has a very strong record for charitable giving/community involvement, though the genuineness of these efforts has lessened over the years, and it seems to be losing prominence in that regard to some other local companies. Not sure if they do it still, but they used to provide "summer hours," which meant the week ended early afternoon during the summer.

Cons

The Company has slowly evolved into just another mid-tier publicly traded financial services company managed according to the whims of Wall Street Analysts. Management seems to overreact to short-term quarterly results. Lots of outsourced functions and staff reductions in the last couple of years. Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated. The company seems to make little effort to distinguish itself as an employer of choice in the Portland market.

Listen to your employees. Don't pretend that employees don't notice and resent the disparities in comp between upper management and typical employees.

Slowly Getting Worse

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at The Standard for more than 3 years

Pros

Enjoyed some of my fellow employees.

Cons

My first insurance industry experience, but: Management seemed amateurish; lots of "people managers" and not enough actual workers or employees with technical knowhow. I was told the head of the company came from HR which I couldn't picture happening in another industry. Lacking Strategic direction. When I looked for employment elsewhere, I learned from several potential employers they weren't impressed by Standard employees because of the lack of training and experience received while at the Standard. A year after leaving, and working for a "real" corporation, I think they were right. Finally, NOT a place for high energy employees who want to gain experience and move ahead.

Early retire anyone?

Review

Current Employee - National Accounts Customer Support  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - National Accounts Customer Support in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

work-life balance
    values
    career advancement opportunities if you seek them out and you are a hard worker
    good coworkers

Cons

Not a very innovative culture
    Pay isn't the greatest
    Been through some tough times recently

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!