The World Bank

Updated 15 September 2014
3.5

The World Bank President Jim Yong Kim
Jim Yong Kim

Pros
  • Work life balance is great, together with the benefits and people (in 19 reviews)

• The work environment differs greatly within the Bank (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Consultants comprise over 60% of the workforce at WBG headquarters, with no benefits or job security (in 13 reviews)

• No benefits and little job security (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing!!!!!!!!!

I have been working at The World Bank

Pros

Everything is so great here. I feel right at home and it was a shame that I had to leave Ft work for grad school but I still enjoy PT work here.

Cons

Nothing bad to say! Cant say enough good things

Good Experience

Former Employee - Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Research Analyst

I worked at The World Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Multicultural, working with some of the best minds, good work-life balance and work environment

Cons

Limited career progression, particularly in country offices

A fantastic organization to work for with a strong mission and high job satisfaction.

Former Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Investment Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The World Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work is very interesting, and constantly keeps you engaged. The pay package is reasonable, especially given the work-life balance. Travel is a plus as you see different projects and settings.

Cons

The office politics and seeing some of your undeserving colleagues get promoted can be painful. The bureaucracy is omni-present and very entrenched. Some people are not very motivated to do work, which is annoying. But by far, office politics is unparalleled.

Please make the organization more meritocratic.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Competitive, Fast Paced, Great Benefits but not tied to performance

Current Employee - Junior Professional Associate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Junior Professional Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The World Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, Staff are the leaders in their field, everyone is highly motivated, hard working, competitive, driven

Cons

Slow career progression, not tied to performance but seniority, not always challenging work

Operations Officer

Former Employee - Operations Officer  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Officer in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The World Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to learn, develop solutions and make a difference.
    No tolerance for mediocre performance
    A large number of subject matter experts are available to call on. World Bank invests heavily in training and gives opportunities to rotate between different departments. HR will work actively with you to address career as well as personal issues.

Cons

Unbelievable high amount of travel. If you are in a different time zone, it does not matter to HQ. 16 hours during travel is routine. Most trips are three weeks long, covering 3-4 countries, making it exhausting.

Have rolling deadlines. Too much bunching of projects at end of each quarter.

Interesting work with intelligent people, but cronyism and office politics kills incentives to follow our mission.

Current Employee - Short-term Consultant (STC)  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Short-term Consultant (STC) in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The World Bank as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The work is interesting and the work-life balance is great. My immediate supervisors are very intelligent and capable.

Cons

If you work as a consultant you have great uncertainty about job security. Incompetent staff are rarely fired, rather relocated.

The World Bank is too risk averse and there is too little follow-through in evaluating projects and reports. There is quite a bit of repackaging and relabeling of old work to suit the new 'buzzwords' that come up every year or so. There is duplication in knowledge management as well.

JPA

I worked at The World Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great place to begin your international career. My manager gave me a lot of opportunities for international work and I ran with them. Traveling to the client countries and engaging client governments made the work more meaningful.

Cons

Uncertainty of what to do after the experience. The JPA was a non renewable contract. It is a shame that one has to leave the bank after learning about the organization. Some of the work is not transferable outside. There was some favoritism /bias towards people whose countries had trust funds. They tended to get nicer projects and more high profile opportunities. There was some work place bullying and there was little intervention from management.

Formalize the JPA program. Very talented young people. Try to have a training program like the YP. Hire from a diverse pool and make the hiring process more transparent.

Overall a stimulating and rewarding place to work

Former Employee - Operations Officer  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Officer in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The World Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Much of the job satisfaction derives from the fact that it's a mission-driven organization whose goal is to reduce poverty and raise the standard and quality of living in the poorest countries of the world. And, it is a stimulating intellectual environment - the multitude of issues that the institution works with alone makes it an interesting place to be. It's full of very smart people, very well educated, most of whom are genuinely engaged and care very much about fulfilling the organization's mission. Many, many opportunities to learn, super interesting colleagues, travel, a truly global environment, excellent benefits - maybe not as good as in the past but still in the top tier, including leave policies that model the Europeans more than the Americans.

Cons

One's experience here can vary considerably depending on who you're working with. I had almost without exception excellent managers who genuinely, actively supported my professional development. But I have colleagues and friends who didn't have such good fortune. Additionally, it relies excessively on short-term contractors and consultants, it is very difficult (or at least it was, at the time I left) to get a permanent, full-time position. There's also no getting around the fact that it's a bureaucracy, which all large organizations inevitably are, but this one perhaps more so than some corporations because it's literally political: the board of Executive Directors consists of representatives of the member countries, who meet not just once a quarter like many if not most corporate Boards, but rather twice a week in full committee. Geopolitics inevitably drives a fair amount of what happens here, but that's also partly why it's such an interesting and stimulating place to work.

Good place for PhD students to get hands on experience.

Former Employee - Short-term Consultant (STC)
    Former Employee - Short-term Consultant (STC)

I worked at The World Bank as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Quite flexible schedule. It's a good start place for fresh graduates.

Cons

I don't have any complaints so far about the jobs that I've done with the Bank.

It is a very diverse work environment that is open to growth and learning.

Current Employee - IT Support Staff Level II  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - IT Support Staff Level II in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The World Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Bank gives you opportunity to expand you knowledge in IT with training courses and forums.

Cons

There are times where there is nothing to do.

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!