The World Bank

Updated 4 March 2015
3.5

The World Bank President Jim Yong Kim
Jim Yong Kim

Pros
  • Work life balance can be good if the travel schedule isn't too onerous (in 23 reviews)

• Great internarional work environment and opportunities to travel (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • no benefits, cannot work more than 150 days per year so many end up working for free (in 18 reviews)

• The culture does not favor the growth of junior staff, especially short-term consultants (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing!!!!!!!!!

I have been working at The World Bank

Pros

Everything is so great here. I feel right at home and it was a shame that I had to leave Ft work for grad school but I still enjoy PT work here.

Cons

Nothing bad to say! Cant say enough good things

Good Experience

Former Employee - Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Research Analyst

I worked at The World Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Multicultural, working with some of the best minds, good work-life balance and work environment

Cons

Limited career progression, particularly in country offices

Worked as an intern in private sector development focusing on Africa. Enjoyed it greatly.

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The World Bank

Pros

The team I worked on here was very results oriented. I was encouraged to work creatively and was rapidly assigned additional responsibility according to my ability to take it on. I was immediately able to make valuable contributions and have my work recognized.

Cons

I didn't personally experience many cons, though I heard about some. Typical cons I hear are that it is hard to get a staff job, and that things can be overly bureaucratic. My unit was not overly bureaucratic.

Compensation could be improved for entry level workers to make more competitive with private sector opportunities. Also, benefits for consultants could be better. For example access to the gym would be appreciated.

Mid level

Former Contractor - Mid Level in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Contractor - Mid Level in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The World Bank as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Global environment, and your intellect is challenged constantly. Good benefits (for the moment) , salary is somehow competitive, and it provides some flexibility as far as work schedule.

Cons

Competition. ..lots of competition .....you'd better be friends with your boss, or belong to the "circle" of ivy league colleagues, so you can move around and "up" !

A lot more diversity, not just diversity of being white, black, or blue, but being able to have a full spectrum of diverse ideas and thoughts from a "diverse" background of NON-IVY LEAGUE institutions.

Research department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The World Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people there (for the most part) care deeply about the work they do, and you get lots of access to tools, data & policymakers.

Cons

There are some very brilliant folks in the research department, but a few duds as well, and duds seem to trend to management

Review for short term consultancy

I worked at The World Bank

Pros

The work was interesting, the salary was reasonable. The Team I worked with was very professional and reflected the Bank's work values.

Cons

The hiring procedure was complicated, and I suffered from delay in receiving my compensation. The timeline of the project we agreed on kept changing.

My advice to the management would be to reduce the red tape procedures for hiring consultants.

Great organization, great exposure but had a difficult time working there

Former Employee - Financial Assistant in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Assistant in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The World Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The WBG is a great institution to work if you enjoy the exposure to other cultures. I really enjoyed my time there sharing with people's backgrounds, experiences and culture. It has a great deal of professional and engaged people. People who really care about helping poverty ends. It has great benefits if you are a full term employee.

Cons

It is difficult to grow in this institution. If you have plans to learn and advance your career this place is not for you unless you don't care to spend 15+ years or even more here. It also people that abuse of the power...Specially on your reviews.

N/A

The Bank is a very exciting place to Work but Managing to move up in The organization can be tough.

I have been working at The World Bank

Pros

The satisfaction of seeing developing countries innovate or implement new strategies is very rewarding.

Cons

Does not want permanent employees but getting part time contracts and policies that do not allow continuation of tasks.

The rotation of upper management is good but not often practiced. Also tasks are constantly redistributed to other task team leaders unnecessarily which is hard to see fruits of project preparation vs completion.

Intern

I worked at The World Bank

Pros

Large bank with great benefits and relatively relaxing work enviroment. Maybe salary is a little less than industry but the stability and benefits compensate. Lots of ops to learn more.

Cons

For some the same as the pros

Built a financial model to advance solar energy projects

I worked at The World Bank

Pros

Great resources to research. Fantastic and organized management. Provided our team with the direction and motivation to succeed.

Cons

Slight lack of communication with senior heads deterred the pace of the project. Also some internal politics that limited us from contacting some organizations.

Great organization with a lot of opportunities to advance. Please keep up the great work and keep attracting bright minds to work on your projects.