Thomas Cook Reviews

60 reviews filtered by
3.4
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Pros
  • The working environment at Thomas Cook is very friendly and the general reputation of the company is quite good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, lack of recognition, jobs for boys (in 3 reviews)

• Mid and Senior Management is Disaster (in 3 reviews)

1. living my dream but still able to make a living for myself

Current Contractor - Children's Representative in Birmingham, England
    Current Contractor - Children's Representative in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook as a contractor

Pros

Thomas cook is a reliable company, it has given me opportunities that i would have never thought of before, they have given me my dream job!

Cons

you don't find out what destination you are going to in advance.

Advice to Management

try and let members of staff know where they are going to be places at least a month before they are due to go.

2. I work in the Customer relations complaint department and love every minute of it. Couldn't have asked for a better job.

Current Employee - Customer Realtions Advisor in Falkirk, Scotland
    Current Employee - Customer Realtions Advisor in Falkirk, Scotland

I have been working at Thomas Cook

Pros

Some of the complaints we receive are brilliant, like people looking for compensation because the weather was not always sunny.

Cons

the only downside i would have is that the pay is not that great for a complaints department. If they put it up it would be so much better.

Advice to Management

Thomas Cook is a great company to work for but we need a pay rise soon or every1 will leave for better paid jobs,

3. Editor

Current Employee - Editor in London, England
    Current Employee - Editor in London, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook

Pros

Nice environment and people happy to help

Cons

No work flexibility and very demanding hours

5. Thomas Cook Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook part-time (more than a year)

Pros

At present the company are going through transformation and I would describe this transformation as almost complete and very successful. For my current stage in life the company pays me a fair wage and as sales consultants and we have high earning potential in regard to commission. The main pro of the commission structure is that it creates a fun, competitive although team working sales environment in which all of us work together to deliver excellent customer service as well as outstanding sales on all of our products. This is another advantage of working for TC in comparison to other travel company's, the products we sell. We have an ostentatious range of products and this makes every day different.

Cons

There are very few cons with working for this Thomas Cook. I feel that sometimes there can be worry at work with individual stores futures. I also feel that there should be more opportunities to travel with the company to experience some of our great products.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to increase the amount of educational trips and training courses available to us as Sales Consultants. So far the change of senior management has been good for the company and I think we are heading in the right direction as one big Thomas Cook family. I would like to progress within the company also, so perhaps I would advise management to make more opportunities to me and others wanting to work our way up available to work our way up.

6. Not just a job but a way of life, within a big family

Current Employee - Cabin Crew in London, England
    Current Employee - Cabin Crew in London, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook

Pros

A great place to work, fun, but hard work, laid back but professional, good salary benefits but you work for your money and a very interesting and dynamic environment where everyday really is different and everyone is an individual with their own character and personality where you can be yourself.

Cons

Often longs days and tiring, but with a good team you pull through and find solutions. Peak season can be very busy, and off peak season often no work therefore most positions are seasonal and only downside to position, therefore no year-round stability or permanent contracts.

Advice to Management

A bit more stability in the sense employees know where they stand even if no permanent job offers, would be good to know return dates and future prospects quite early on, therefore prior planning for both employers and employees, making it a little more stable.

7. satisfying employer, but with lower than average team morale

Former Employee - Senior Nodejs Developer in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Nodejs Developer in London, England

I worked at Thomas Cook

Pros

google email and github being used for company mail and versioning system

Cons

tight open space with lots of distractions, not enough toilets

Advice to Management

put programmers into a different office-one which is not as distracting and preferably with good computers. The current laptops developers get are very bad for developers.

8. Fantastic, Admin support within GDM is great, although when employees leave, they are rarely replaced.

Current Employee - Overseas Destination Representative in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - Overseas Destination Representative in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook

Pros

Organisation, Company clear hierarchy, training, development, induction schemes

Cons

Managers, Work-life Balance, Poor perks, Employees not replaced when they leave, stretching existing employees beyond their roles

Advice to Management

More Development and coaching for managers, more coherency and support from managers (undermine each other) and More rigorous management selection programmes.

9. A great place to build a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming atmosphere, a lot of honesty, few pointless meetings, no 'old boys club' feel, a good feeling of optimism.

Cons

Huge company-wide transformation which makes things a little confusing at times, some out-dated, out-sourced approaches to things like IT but credit where it's due, that's all changed and there are actual English people working for us.

Advice to Management

Try to move more things back to the UK, overseas is good but you can create more opportunity at home if you open up more. Also do something about the sheds we work in!!!

10. On a local basis the atmosphere in the company is very negative. Head office have no interest in morale only figures

Former Employee - Employee in Chesterfield, England
    Former Employee - Employee in Chesterfield, England

I worked at Thomas Cook

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Atmosphere, cluster managers, difficult situation facilities - no colour printers, use citrix for all systems, cant even save a word file onto the PC's

Advice to Management

Take a look at how many staff members have left the Chesterfield cluster in the last 2 years. We counted 30. Senior management here are bullying staff into leaving if the face does not fit

11. Very pleasant, hard work, long hours

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Gatwick, England
    Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Gatwick, England

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, meet new people, most other crew friendly, good working conditions

Cons

Long hours, standbys, delays, tough senior crew members,

Thomas Cook Photos