Timberland

Timberland Reviews

Updated 24 February 2015
Updated 24 February 2015
3.1

Timberland Vice President, VF Corporation and Group President, Outdoor & Action Sports Americas Steve Rendle
Steve Rendle

Good company to work for with great benefits

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great: Handsome discount at most VF retail stores
    Flexible
    Gym and Travel payment scheme
    Good management structure
    Volunteer work in the community is paid for by the company.

Cons

Communication can be slow on important issues or sudden on big impacts on business.
    Sometimes management would become lazy.

Stay on the ball and communicate more, otherwise doing a good job.

Sales Assistant/Keyholder

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Doncaster, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Doncaster, England

I worked at Timberland full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good established brand with good initial training

Cons

My store (now closed) was a franchise so it was run differently to a typical Timberland store which did not work in it's favour nor do the brand any justice.

Many employment laws were broken including rules relating to working conditions/working hours.
    Managers attitude toward customer service was nonexistent (Sometimes escalated to swearing at customers if they had a complaint) probably due to the managers only having experience working within individual retailers,
    Had no concrete policies in place regarding returns/refunds/etc,
    Managers told us to offer an ordering service to customers when no specific ordering system was in place which meant that customers were waiting for weeks for items which actually only came in by chance,
    Our till was broken for weeks so we had to supply paper receipts which were invalid at other stores so customers weren't able to return items elsewhere,
    Due to a broken till system we also had to use a calculator to work out total amounts/discounts etc which left massive opportunity for mistakes which often happened,
    Managers told us during the Christmas period that refunds/exchanges were available up until the 10th Jan then went back on their word so we had to refuse refunds/exchanges to customers we had previously confirmed that this was perfectly fine which resulted in many irate customers and further complaints.

Don't open a franchise for a brand that you aren't ready for. Horrific experience but working within a store that is ran properly would probably have made it much better.

Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ellesmere Port, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ellesmere Port, England

I worked at Timberland part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff who are easy to get along with on a personal level but not business wise, made some great friends

Cons

After having started a new job i realize how bad of company this is in regards to staff treatment. Managers do not care about staff who are part time only full time workers were treated with respect and consideration, Guilt tripping in regards to taking holidays and made to feel bad for requesting holidays and after a former colleague booked a holiday 3 months in advance he was forced to leave the company as the area manager quoted to him 'if you don't work it, you know where the door is' i found this completely inappropriate and completely unfair as he was a hard worker . . They do not work around other commitments such as college/university having agreed to do so in interviews and would work you into the ground given the opportunity. It was discussed with many different store workers that the area manager was rude, smug and definitely did not have staffs best interests in mind. Overall i would never work for this company again and all staff who i worked with felt the same had they not money commitments and while i worked there 3 people walked out of this job and 6 people quit in the short time i was there and one lady only lasted one day.

To take in to consideration what kind of people you are employing to run your shops as much of what takes place goes against numerous HR Regulations and fair treatment to staff.

I giant waste of time and effort.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the people absolutely made it for me, they became a second family to me. To be honest these wonderful (but crazy people who have stayed there so long) are the only reason I have been able to stand it there for so long. I hope they escape someday...

Cons

Minimum wage for an often tiresome, chaotic and stressful working environment/job. (Either first or second best money making store in Europe often consistently).
    Consistently asked for more for less or nothing at all.
    Management could be disorganized/lazy/moronic in their decision making and often on the shop floor for no more than 45 minutes max in a full day.
    Ever since VF have owned the company it has gone downhill: Less holiday time, discount is now only 20% and there are no signs of considering the ones who are actually making the money lower down the food chain.
    Promises of change never kept.

To the ones who worked at my store, listen to the sales assistants they are the most involved in the moneymaking aspects of the business and communication needs to desperately improve. Don't make promises you cannot keep. E.g pay rises and opportunities for positions and development.

To the management above them who I consider the biggest set of monkeys I have ever heard about and have unfortunately met, you need to come down off of your high horses, work in one of the busiest stores in Europe and seriously ask yourselves: would I ever do this for minimum wage for 40 hours a week? As far as I know they only care for the digits they get emailed at the end of the day for how well we had done compared to how many customers had entered the store. I trully hope I never have to involve myself in such a stingy non-cooperative company such as VF again.

The Swartz family should never have handed their brand over to that addled bohemoth I know as VF.

There is a good chance no one from head office or anyone in management under Timberland will read this, but for god sake you've got to listen to the people you work with and strive for change, otherwise people are simply not going to work for you or want to work for you. Please change for the better.

Pays less, work double, zero growth, management rotten till the core.

Former Employee - Fashion Consultant in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Fashion Consultant in Pune (India)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Weekday offs(If u like it)

Cons

Management is rotten till the core, zero work-life balance, no planning ahead or scheduling of shifts, offs,leaves etc. causing disruptive work-life balance.Very favouring or partial behaviour of first and second level management.
    Management is self-centered, employee's benefits put last on the priority list!
    Very low yearly appraisal, no promotion, make you work total of 54 hours per week (6 days) with 1 week off-I personally think it's ILLEGAL!
    Labour law violation-hope they look into it & take some strict action!

All the good employees have left & still will be leaving, major change needed in the low level management, high level manage should look into the actual situation of staff, personally, should not only focus on sales and target, but also the difficulties & burden faced by the lower level employees.

Good place

Former Employee - IT Developer in Stratham, NH (US)
    Former Employee - IT Developer in Stratham, NH (US)

I worked at Timberland

Pros

Good place, nice offices, great discounts.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities. Many senior managers unapproachable or disinterested.

Reasonably good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratham, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratham, NH (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dynamic team of intelligent, thoughtful people

Cons

Not at teams are created (or treated) equally; was sold on work-life balance, which didn't exist in my role

Level the playing field

Fun but stressful

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flemington, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flemington, NJ (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great social interactions, for the most part a friendly atmosphere, awesome people

Cons

Irregular hours, main manager horrible, depending on employees there could be lots of drama and bad corporal communication

Stop putting down your employees, they're here to work too.

Purpose driven

Former Employee - Vice President in Stratham, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Stratham, NH (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unique heritage, compassionate culture, quality focus. Timberland has a very talented staff that and is deeply rooted in the community.

Cons

Now a subsidiary of a holding company. Sale of the company has resulted in loss of north star. Business outlook is good but company is now focused on mass market.

Don't loose sight of what made you a trusted brand and employer of choice

Timboo

I have been working at Timberland

Pros

Free Pair of boots when your welcomed to the team. Laid back store mangers really chill place with cool people. Decent pay for seasonal position .

Cons

Crappy Hours if doing seasonal 10 hours a week Even the full time works have multiple jobs. Having to hound people to buy shoes you know nothing about.

Needs A break room Stock room is not ideal for where I want to eat my lunch.

Timberland Photos