Timberland Reviews

Updated 24 September 2014
Updated 24 September 2014
3.4

Timberland Vice President, VF Corporation and Group President, Outdoor & Action Sports Americas Steve Rendle
Steve Rendle

Good company to work for with great benefits

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England

I worked at Timberland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great: Handsome discount at most VF retail stores
    Flexible
    Gym and Travel payment scheme
    Good management structure
    Volunteer work in the community is paid for by the company.

Cons

Communication can be slow on important issues or sudden on big impacts on business.
    Sometimes management would become lazy.

Stay on the ball and communicate more, otherwise doing a good job.

Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ellesmere Port, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ellesmere Port, England

I worked at Timberland part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly staff who are easy to get along with on a personal level but not business wise, made some great friends

Cons

After having started a new job i realize how bad of company this is in regards to staff treatment. Managers do not care about staff who are part time only full time workers were treated with respect and consideration, Guilt tripping in regards to taking holidays and made to feel bad for requesting holidays and after a former colleague booked a holiday 3 months in advance he was forced to leave the company as the area manager quoted to him 'if you don't work it, you know where the door is' i found this completely inappropriate and completely unfair as he was a hard worker . . They do not work around other commitments such as college/university having agreed to do so in interviews and would work you into the ground given the opportunity. It was discussed with many different store workers that the area manager was rude, smug and definitely did not have staffs best interests in mind. Overall i would never work for this company again and all staff who i worked with felt the same had they not money commitments and while i worked there 3 people walked out of this job and 6 people quit in the short time i was there and one lady only lasted one day.

To take in to consideration what kind of people you are employing to run your shops as much of what takes place goes against numerous HR Regulations and fair treatment to staff.

I giant waste of time and effort.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Timberland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, the people absolutely made it for me, they became a second family to me. To be honest these wonderful (but crazy people who have stayed there so long) are the only reason I have been able to stand it there for so long. I hope they escape someday...

Cons

Minimum wage for an often tiresome, chaotic and stressful working environment/job. (Either first or second best money making store in Europe often consistently).
    Consistently asked for more for less or nothing at all.
    Management could be disorganized/lazy/moronic in their decision making and often on the shop floor for no more than 45 minutes max in a full day.
    Ever since VF have owned the company it has gone downhill: Less holiday time, discount is now only 20% and there are no signs of considering the ones who are actually making the money lower down the food chain.
    Promises of change never kept.

To the ones who worked at my store, listen to the sales assistants they are the most involved in the moneymaking aspects of the business and communication needs to desperately improve. Don't make promises you cannot keep. E.g pay rises and opportunities for positions and development.

To the management above them who I consider the biggest set of monkeys I have ever heard about and have unfortunately met, you need to come down off of your high horses, work in one of the busiest stores in Europe and seriously ask yourselves: would I ever do this for minimum wage for 40 hours a week? As far as I know they only care for the digits they get emailed at the end of the day for how well we had done compared to how many customers had entered the store. I trully hope I never have to involve myself in such a stingy non-cooperative company such as VF again.

The Swartz family should never have handed their brand over to that addled bohemoth I know as VF.

There is a good chance no one from head office or anyone in management under Timberland will read this, but for god sake you've got to listen to the people you work with and strive for change, otherwise people are simply not going to work for you or want to work for you. Please change for the better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful crew to work with and many great customers.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relationship with staff, team environment. Benefits are decent, raises not so much. Great perks at the Holidays for the staff. Good quality product.

Cons

Quotas are difficult to meet at times. Promotions are few in a store, not many higher positions to fill. Company values are decent, changed after the company was bought out, but would be fine for new employees with no comparison. As with any retail position, the Holidays are chaotic.

Think through changes thoroughly and do it once.

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Specialist  in  Stratham, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Specialist in Stratham, NH (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great product, benefits, awesome co-workers, many great experiences.

Cons

Due to sale of company much downsizing and policy changes that has impacted the overall culture.

Stop looking at the dollar value and look to the value of the employees. The longevity of the employees should prove that they are what made the company what it is today. It was more than the dollars that made us stay for the length of time but the desire to build the brand. We really cared.

Incredible

I worked at Timberland

Pros

Great product, Great people... and many opportunities... Although that was a looong time ago! The brand seems to have maintained the integrity from when Jeffrey Schwartz was leading.

Cons

Salary wasn't great...and there werent great opportunities for adjustments... and there was a LOT of pressure.

Great People ,

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Grafing bei München (Germany)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Grafing bei München (Germany)

I worked at Timberland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Promotions, good employee discount, monthly Bonus

Cons

Alias very crouded , sometimes Lazy Management, Slow Motion Management

Timberland is a wonderful company.

I have been working at Timberland part-time

Pros

Great compensation, benefits, and work-life balance. Timberland is a fantastic company to work for and you can't go wrong.

Cons

The senior leaders are not as good as they were previously. This should be changed from the top down.

Awesome company that values its staff and customers and community

Current Employee - Customer Services
    Current Employee - Customer Services

I have been working at Timberland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In my time at Timberland I have progressed in my career, The people are great and since bought by VF we have more opportunities to grow into other Brands, Although we are being made Redundant as of 2014 the company has offered a great support to the employees

Cons

Changes in systems when we migrated with VF, this bought new challenges and changes within the business

To be open and transparent with everyone

Awesome place to work

I worked at Timberland

Pros

You cannot beat the people and culture. Was there before and after the buy out and although things got tough it is still one of the best places to work. Everyone is super friendly, up beat and team players.

Cons

No cons--everything was a pro here

Promote from within!

Timberland Photos

EHQ atrium

+ Add Photo

Worked for Timberland? Contribute to the Community!