Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work(in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons(in 8 reviews)

Excellent study support.

Actuarial Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsExcellent study support. good opportunities for progression.

ConsSalary increases in th elast few years have been poor, but I guess this is market-driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do more to retain junior associates.

Merger very slow - many people unmotivated

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood benefits and work life balance

ConsLots of senor management haven't got a clue. Very much 'grade' orientated - you have to be a certain grade to have ceratin knowledge shared with you - very old fashioned approach

Advice to Senior ManagementActually show an interest in your staf and appreciate that for many ex Towers Perrin staff in the UK this feels like a takeover

Great company, great managers

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Quezon City, National Capital Region (Philippines)

ProsTop-notch learning and development opportunities
    They take care of their people
    Ensures people are taken care of by really caring people managers

ConsNeeds to review their benefits packages, especially for shared services employees

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, and maintain the "connection" with your people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsOpportunities to grow are out there

ConsBalance is difficult to achieve

OK Company after the merge...

Technical Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsWork from home allowed.
    Flexible with life and work schedule.
    Lots of branch offices in the U.S. and can transfer.

ConsAfter merge with Perrin, it became too corporate.
    Top Heavy
    Too cheap with training and no room to move
    Too high of medical out of expense

Ok

ProsPension plan to go along with 401k

Conslow pay and promotions are done by years of experience and not skill level

Good company, not very up to speed on technology

IT Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsBenefits are good. There are very little management training offered to the managers.

ConsThe roles are not well defined in the organization. Managers need to develop their skills in management.

Little interest in people. Good expertise in HR

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsIf you're a young professional or a very seasoned one, TW could be a good place for you: as a new recruit, you'll learn a lot. As a director, you'll earn a lot.

ConsFor anybody in the middle of the TW food chain, life is not easy. As a consultant or Senior consultant, your targets will be very demanding and recognition quite limited.
    Furthermore, as we saw in recent months, when the going gets tough, consultants are asked to go. I've never seen a practice leader be asked to leave when his/her practice did poorly. In these cases, TW will get rid of some people in the practice to re-balance the p&l.
    No focus on people in this company, it's all about pleasing the shareholders.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider that sometimes when things don't go well you are the problem as much as - or more than - your employees.
    Cutting costs is short-term, shortsighted solution, that's not going to do any good to your employees.

A lot of smart people

TWIS (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsSmart hard working people interested in servicing clients.

ConsAttitudes ingrained in the TW way. Don't want to consider other ideas- it should be done this way.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch the politics. The old guard knows how to work the system. Try to pay attention to some of that- it may be clouding the influencing workplace environment.

Best job I've ever had!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsThe leadership in the office is very supportive and wonderful to work with, there is great work life balance, the culture in the office is positive and there are some amazing people to work with. They are always finding things to encourage employees like bocce ball tournaments and team building events. They also provide free soda, juice, coffee, water and more often than not there are leftovers from some meeting.

ConsHaving IT offshore is one of the biggest cons. It's very frustrating when you need IT needs. There are also limited opportunities for advancement.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!