Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros:
  • "I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "tight /strict deadlines, work life balance can be compromised"
    in 33 reviews
  • "No work life balance during peak seasons"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Career enhancing

Non life actuarial manager (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

ProsProfessional, intelligent, and friendly colleagues.
Reasonable pay
Better than average IT though nothing to write home about
Interesting and challenging work
Pretty good morale

ConsToo much down time between contracts.
Uncompetitive chargeout rate
Some of the best people have left
At management level it can be difficult to work on projects other than those that fit your skill set, meaning less chance to diversify skilks - though still opportunities to get better at what you do know.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold on to the more charismatic and popular people in your organisation as this is what made it a good place to work.

Supportive and encouraging

I have been working at Towers Watson

ProsAlways welcoming questions, support us through exams and always provide help through to qualification.

ConsDue to the sheer size of the firm, it can be difficult to bring innovation to the forefront. Bureaucracy can slow firm in comparison to small competitors

Sep 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments around study support.

Employee Survey Analyst

Employee Survey Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

ProsEarly exposure to clients including true client relationship management over the course of a project in person, via email and on the phone.

Some senior consultants are very collaborative and help analysts develop as better advisors to clients which includes involving analysts in survey design and results roll-out (including presentation to executive leadership).

ConsLong hours during the busier periods (usually July to December) which can be as long as 15 hours straight and weekend overtime. This is all unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter transparency.

Disconnected, no job security

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMany of the clients and actuaries that we worked with were very friendly and intelligent.

ConsAccepting this job was the worst mistake of my career, which I've thankfully recovered from since. A lot of time was wasted on internal processes and objectives were very vague. I know people who were forced to leave for reasons that were contrived. They have had much more success at other companies since, with much higher salaries.

There doesn't seem to be enough awareness of competing technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to keep your best employees, enjoy themselves and be productive. Find ways to leverage and develop the skills of your employees and allow them to engage with their broader professional communities.

Sep 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments about the people who work here. Your constructive feedback will be passed on.

Great values - bit stodgy since the merger

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people - genuinely very clever; great IC, environment, collaborative, genuine , authentic and they live their values; long tenure;

ConsSenior leadership very average; not terribly dynamic; risk averse; conservative and traditional; too much silo'd behaviour between lines of business (but gettting better at that)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease retire and let some younger more dynamic people get on with it

May 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on glassdoor.com. We're glad to hear about all of the positive things about being a Director in London and pleased that your areas of concerns are ... More

Glorified secretary, occasionally does basic arithmetic

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

ProsGood people here if you can find them but they have all left.
With the amount of people gone now, if you are a junior client consulting analyst you are able to go to client meetings in your first year, but is that really a good trade-off?

ConsYour hard work is rewarded with more admin and coordination work. Most of your day is spent chasing people and writing up invoice summaries.
Juniors are expected to only do admin and billing for about 3-4 years until you make consultant. When you bring this up to managers, they only solidify that sentiment and ask you to be patient.
Low compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about why your analysts are leaving.
Think about the business model, loyalty is not a business model in this paradigm shift.
There is a gap between all levels of employees. What you think works may not work for your junior tier.

The times are a changin!

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Reigate, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVariety of work, flexibility to manage own work loads and good clients generally.

ConsTargets, targets and more targets combined with requirement to charge for everything, open brown nosing and open 'sucking up' to move ahead, lack of collaboration and competition with colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lost the Watson Wyatt culture and sold your souls to rampant individualism, rewarding same and similar behaviours and suppressing difference. A good place to learn and then move on, but not a nice place to work and try make a difference in the finish.

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

ProsWorldwide firm with personal recognition.

ConsNothing that I can think about

Secretarial work

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

ProsPeople are great if you are lucky enough to find them

ConsI do mostly secretarial and admin work

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your analysts better work and move faster with decisions

Great place to learn

Investment Consultant (Current Employee)
Reigate, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

ProsA great place to learn!
Excellent study support
Friendly culture
Young company and very social
Supportive of learning
Coworkers collaborate well and do not compete or judge
7% pension contribution is great

ConsIn the UK, the head office is in Reigate, which is in the middle of the countryside and very inconvenient to reach by both public transport and car (parking spaces are only given after working 4-5 years at the firm)
Hours can be long.
Not a good place to earn!
Career progression can be slow especially for technical, non-client facing roles
Career progression very much related to the time worked at the company, rather than your performance or the value you add.
No reward on hard work, promotion is the same as it is related to the time you've worked at the firm and bonuses are standardized
Very difficult and political to move teams, and limited opportunity to move across geographies despite being a global company
Managers only care about their own team and don't care about the company as a whole, limiting employees opportunities to learn how the business works
Every role in Towers Watson is very specialist due to the size of the firm, limiting future prospects and hindering exit opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer the employees a broader learning opportunity and the opportunity to move across teams and locations. Lots of good employees get stuck in the wrong team and then end up leaving the firm when they could have added lots of value to the firm

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!

Towers Watson – Why Work for Us?

Towers Watson is a leading global professional services company that helps organizations improve performance through effective people, risk and financial management. With 14,000 associates around the world, we offer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Towers Watson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Towers Watson CEO John Haley. All 285 reviews are posted anonymously by Towers Watson employees.