Towers Watson Reviews

Updated 21 October 2014
3.4

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of reviews have quoted an excellent work/life balance but I don't see it (in 47 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Drive your own career

Current Employee - Human Resources in Reigate, England
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Reigate, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. My team are brilliant to work with and there are some very inspiring associates throughout all regions and areas of the business. As part of HR you get to participate in initiatives such as the 'connectivity committee' which is an associate listening programme where you get to input ideas and give feedback.

Cons

It is a big company so you have to find your niche I suppose.

A good company to work for

Current Employee - Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leading edge intellectual capital in the industry
    Smart colleagues who work collaboratively to help
    Flexible work/life policies
    Ease of work experiences in other countries

Cons

Since the Towers Perrin and Watson Wyatt merger in 2010, there is more internal bureaucracy to deal with, and Lines of Business think more in silos nowadays.

Find a way to more easily bring our best people and best work to our clients, regardless of who "owns" the work or client relationship.

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thanks for the positive comments and constructive feedback.

Professional organisation doing good things - a bit stiff and boring though.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Good name, good services and good people

Cons

No clear goals that make business sense

Let go of the hierarchy and be more inclusive to all levels when thinking about innovation

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thanks for your positive comments. We think agree that we have good people! Thanks for the constructive advice as well.

A professional, generally well-run company, but change is slow

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Reigate, England
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Reigate, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to work if you want to be in a pretty large financial services company, and you like being based in a pleasant market town rather than The City.

Cons

In my area, many folks had been in post for many decades. Nothing wrong with this in principle but when long-timers dominate a department it can be impossible to effect change.

Watch the demographics of every department; keep a balance of innovators and handle-crankers.

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thanks for your comments about Reigate, it's a great town. Our software areas are growing across several lines of business so thank you for your remarks and please do communicate these with your ... More

Investment consulting department

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent family of intelligent people

Cons

None that I consider worth mentioning

More focus needed on sustainable investments. No harm in considering Impact investing / Micro-credit.

Thanks for your review!

Satisfactory but not challenging

Former Employee - Investment Analyst
    Former Employee - Investment Analyst

I worked at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Good colleagues and working environment. This is very important because you are able to ask senior people for advice and stressful moments are infrequent. Competitive basic package.

Cons

Rigid structures mean that the job can be very monotonous. Also there are very little performance rewards/penalties to differentiate in employee performance.
    Structure seems top heavy.

Need to make more effort to be offering varied, challenging work to junior employees.

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have been working on improving performance feedback and career rating guidance so hopefully this will address some of your concerns.

Incompetent

Current Employee - Actuarial
    Current Employee - Actuarial

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Not a single thing is good

Cons

As a junior actuary I want to learn. To grow. To become the best at what I do.
    All I have done for the past year was cleaning data. When confronting management about this, they confirm that this will continue for the next 4 to 5 years, and even worse even people with 12 years of experience are still doing this.

The methods we use are out-dated to say the very least. In our whole office there are only 3 people who knows how to program in VBA. If I suggest a better approach it is shot down almost immediately.

I compare myself to my other actuarial friends in other companies and they are doing far more advanced things after 3 or 4 months than what I am doing after 1 year.

The junior actuaries hired (and a large number of senior actuaries as well), are completely useless as well with one girl who will become a qualified actuary in a few years asked me (to mention one of the few stupid questions) how to concatenate 2 cells in excel.

Another asking me what SC is exactly after working at TW for 7 months...

Good talent is leaving TW.

DO NOT EMPLOY IDIOTS. Set up a testing system in which candidates much attain a certain level to be considered to join TW.

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're disappointed to hear your negative comments. We have a graduate recruitment process with a vigorous assessment criteria, which we hope ensures ... More

Great for those who are starting out

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Reigate, England
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Reigate, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with people who have a wealth of experience in the field
    Everyone is very helpful
    Most people are easy to work with

Cons

People complain about salaries
    People move to other firms as they provide better salaries
    Management does not seem to do anything about attrition

Review salaries and make adjustments to address the attrition rate

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your comments. Towers Watson operates a Total Rewards Package which we believe is competitive in the market but please do discuss this with your line manager as part of your ongoing ... More

Great colleagues, shame about the managment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with mostly a nice bunch of people, good office locations in London, get to work alongside some very knowledgeable people. One definite plus is the name looks good on your CV if nothing else.

Cons

Understaffed for most of the time I was there and found it to be very old boys network, if they or the senior people liked you you did well, if not tough luck and no chance of moving up. Non existent work life balance. Not great on bonus payments

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your comments about our associates. We hope that our bonus structure is realistic and achievable and encourage work life balance, which can be evidenced by work such as that being ... More

Used to be great as Towers Perrin .... but that was ages ago!

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- remnants of intellectual capital still make it a good consultancy compared to the big four (who suck in human resource consultancy);
    - aspires to be the mckinsey of strategic HR ... and on occasion does a good job!

Cons

- little shop mentality all over the business - a cottage industry like behaviour amongst pricipals who will give projects to their favourites, shutting out new talent or those that could outshine them
    - will they EVER reward their consultants with market rates .... ironical for a reward consultancy to not drink its own coolaid
    - very unfriendly to consultants with young families or those due to go on maternity etc (though they say its worse at the big four)

- have been losing or not winning for a long time ... something is wrong
    - reward your peeps ...

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your review. As mentioned in a previous comment we have recently carried out work around maternity leave which is hopefully a positive step.