Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work(in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons(in 8 reviews)

Investment consulting department

Investment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsExcellent family of intelligent people

ConsNone that I consider worth mentioning

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus needed on sustainable investments. No harm in considering Impact investing / Micro-credit.

Satisfactory but not challenging

Investment Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGood colleagues and working environment. This is very important because you are able to ask senior people for advice and stressful moments are infrequent. Competitive basic package.

ConsRigid structures mean that the job can be very monotonous. Also there are very little performance rewards/penalties to differentiate in employee performance.
    Structure seems top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make more effort to be offering varied, challenging work to junior employees.

Incompetent

Actuarial (Current Employee)

ProsNot a single thing is good

ConsAs a junior actuary I want to learn. To grow. To become the best at what I do.
    All I have done for the past year was cleaning data. When confronting management about this, they confirm that this will continue for the next 4 to 5 years, and even worse even people with 12 years of experience are still doing this.

The methods we use are out-dated to say the very least. In our whole office there are only 3 people who knows how to program in VBA. If I suggest a better approach it is shot down almost immediately.

I compare myself to my other actuarial friends in other companies and they are doing far more advanced things after 3 or 4 months than what I am doing after 1 year.

The junior actuaries hired (and a large number of senior actuaries as well), are completely useless as well with one girl who will become a qualified actuary in a few years asked me (to mention one of the few stupid questions) how to concatenate 2 cells in excel.

Another asking me what SC is exactly after working at TW for 7 months...

Good talent is leaving TW.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO NOT EMPLOY IDIOTS. Set up a testing system in which candidates much attain a certain level to be considered to join TW.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for those who are starting out

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Reigate, England

ProsWorking with people who have a wealth of experience in the field
    Everyone is very helpful
    Most people are easy to work with

ConsPeople complain about salaries
    People move to other firms as they provide better salaries
    Management does not seem to do anything about attrition

Advice to Senior ManagementReview salaries and make adjustments to address the attrition rate

Great colleagues, shame about the managment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsWorked with mostly a nice bunch of people, good office locations in London, get to work alongside some very knowledgeable people. One definite plus is the name looks good on your CV if nothing else.

ConsUnderstaffed for most of the time I was there and found it to be very old boys network, if they or the senior people liked you you did well, if not tough luck and no chance of moving up. Non existent work life balance. Not great on bonus payments

Used to be great as Towers Perrin .... but that was ages ago!

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

Pros- remnants of intellectual capital still make it a good consultancy compared to the big four (who suck in human resource consultancy);
    - aspires to be the mckinsey of strategic HR ... and on occasion does a good job!

Cons- little shop mentality all over the business - a cottage industry like behaviour amongst pricipals who will give projects to their favourites, shutting out new talent or those that could outshine them
    - will they EVER reward their consultants with market rates .... ironical for a reward consultancy to not drink its own coolaid
    - very unfriendly to consultants with young families or those due to go on maternity etc (though they say its worse at the big four)

Advice to Senior Management- have been losing or not winning for a long time ... something is wrong
    - reward your peeps ...

Career enhancing

Non life actuarial manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsProfessional, intelligent, and friendly colleagues.
    Reasonable pay
    Better than average IT though nothing to write home about
    Interesting and challenging work
    Pretty good morale

ConsToo much down time between contracts.
    Uncompetitive chargeout rate
    Some of the best people have left
    At management level it can be difficult to work on projects other than those that fit your skill set, meaning less chance to diversify skilks - though still opportunities to get better at what you do know.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold on to the more charismatic and popular people in your organisation as this is what made it a good place to work.

Supportive and encouraging

ProsAlways welcoming questions, support us through exams and always provide help through to qualification.

ConsDue to the sheer size of the firm, it can be difficult to bring innovation to the forefront. Bureaucracy can slow firm in comparison to small competitors

Towers Watson Segment Lead Recruiter responded to this review

Sep 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments around study support.

Employee Survey Analyst

Employee Survey Analyst (Current Employee) London, England

ProsEarly exposure to clients including true client relationship management over the course of a project in person, via email and on the phone.

Some senior consultants are very collaborative and help analysts develop as better advisors to clients which includes involving analysts in survey design and results roll-out (including presentation to executive leadership).

ConsLong hours during the busier periods (usually July to December) which can be as long as 15 hours straight and weekend overtime. This is all unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter transparency.

Disconnected, no job security

Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsMany of the clients and actuaries that we worked with were very friendly and intelligent.

ConsAccepting this job was the worst mistake of my career, which I've thankfully recovered from since. A lot of time was wasted on internal processes and objectives were very vague. I know people who were forced to leave for reasons that were contrived. They have had much more success at other companies since, with much higher salaries.

There doesn't seem to be enough awareness of competing technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to keep your best employees, enjoy themselves and be productive. Find ways to leverage and develop the skills of your employees and allow them to engage with their broader professional communities.

Towers Watson Segment Lead Recruiter responded to this review

Sep 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments about the people who work here. Your constructive feedback will be passed on.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!