Towers Watson Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

3.4

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work (in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

dreadfull local management

Former Employee - Senior Pensions Administrator  in  Welwyn Garden City, England
    Former Employee - Senior Pensions Administrator in Welwyn Garden City, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

job to pay your bills

Cons

people are treated there like dirt, promotions by who you know and not what you know

the big bosses need to put system in place where they can monitor technical knowledges and human skills of their managers on an annual basis by requesting feedback from all employees under the particular manager

Excellent study support.

Current Employee - Actuarial Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Actuarial Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent study support. good opportunities for progression.

Cons

Salary increases in th elast few years have been poor, but I guess this is market-driven.

Need to do more to retain junior associates.

Get on the conveyor belt, don't be ambitious, don't expect positive change. I'd suggest you dont bother!

Current Employee - Analyst  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exceptional colleagues that keep you sane during the daily grind. CFA/FIA paid for and adequate study support. Exposure to a range of departments.

Cons

Management completely disintegrated from analysts. Pay is extremely low until senior management, which is freely admitted. You won't get promoted quickly by being good or working hard, you are put on a conveyor belt and expected to be happy with it. Bonus is a joke again until more senior and you have to wait for seniors to die/retire/leave before positions are made available.

London office is depressing and dull. Sometimes work 8am - 10pm whilst seniors leave at 6.

Only apply if you enjoy updating spreadsheets, models and drafting emails for seniors. If you're lucky they might let you "check" other peoples attempts at making the circle bullet points squares.

If you hire the top talent don't expect to keep them for long if you don't start treating them fairly. Look at the deadwood in the higher ranks and promote the potentials. Don't treat the underachievers the same as the stars.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok

Former Employee - Client Technology Associate  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Client Technology Associate in London, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people to work with, multicultural atmosphere

Cons

Long hours, no work - life balance.

Employee's are not treated as individuals with lives and families. There is more to life than profit.

Merger very slow - many people unmotivated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance

Cons

Lots of senor management haven't got a clue. Very much 'grade' orientated - you have to be a certain grade to have ceratin knowledge shared with you - very old fashioned approach

Actually show an interest in your staf and appreciate that for many ex Towers Perrin staff in the UK this feels like a takeover

I've only been with the company for three months but so far it's off to a great start. I feel like my work has meaning.

Current Employee - Lead Benefits Systems Administrator  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Benefits Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are great!

Casual dress is allowed except when clients are visiting, working from home is allowed on a limited basis, I can set my own schedule within reason, they provide a company iPhone, they do 401k matching and provide a pension, there are free sporting event tickets and tailgates for company outings, occasionally there is free food, the soda machines are always free, the list goes on and on.

Cons

It's a global company so there are a lot of people to coordinate with in order to get things done.

Also, I'm in a rapidly expanding business segment so there can sometimes be growing pains.

Your employees know that difficult changes need to be made from time to time. However, they would like to feel like management understands that changes take time and effort out of their normal work day and schedules.

Consulting Company to be With Now

Current Employee - Constulant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Constulant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good support and exceptional business model. Winning new clients in the marketplace and providing good service and true value to clients. Great flexible work environment, good offices, strong benefits and good pay.

Cons

Political infighting between lines of business and account directors. Good consultants are loaded up quickly and hiring occurs after new work is won, which means someone has to do more work than intended until hiring catches up.

Hire in anticipation of growth despite the short term hit to productivity.

Intern review

Current Employee - Recruitment Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Intern in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It is a global company with all of the HR subdivisions, so it's good for people that want to develop in the HR field. There is a friendly environment, nice people and career opportunities.

Cons

A lot of work, responsibilities and expectations for an intern position. There is no coaching, mentoring nor a lot of learning opportunities. It is expected you know things even though it is an internship.

No direct contact with upper management.

Stable and Diverse

Current Employee - Seasonal Compensation Analyst  in  White Plains, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Compensation Analyst in White Plains, NY (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility of work schedule, culture is collegiate, and there is diversity of work so you are always learning something new

Cons

Slow upward mobility for career growth.

Good employer

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Great work life balance, good colleagues

Cons

Salary isn't comparable compared with market

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!