Towers Watson Reviews

Updated 23 April 2015
468 reviews filtered by

Great colleagues, shame about the managment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with mostly a nice bunch of people, good office locations in London, get to work alongside some very knowledgeable people. One definite plus is the name looks good on your CV if nothing else.

Cons

Understaffed for most of the time I was there and found it to be very old boys network, if they or the senior people liked you you did well, if not tough luck and no chance of moving up. Non existent work life balance. Not great on bonus payments

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your comments about our associates. We hope that our bonus structure is realistic and achievable and encourage work life balance, which can be evidenced by work such as that being ... More

Used to be great as Towers Perrin .... but that was ages ago!

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- remnants of intellectual capital still make it a good consultancy compared to the big four (who suck in human resource consultancy);
    - aspires to be the mckinsey of strategic HR ... and on occasion does a good job!

Cons

- little shop mentality all over the business - a cottage industry like behaviour amongst pricipals who will give projects to their favourites, shutting out new talent or those that could outshine them
    - will they EVER reward their consultants with market rates .... ironical for a reward consultancy to not drink its own coolaid
    - very unfriendly to consultants with young families or those due to go on maternity etc (though they say its worse at the big four)

Advice to Management

- have been losing or not winning for a long time ... something is wrong
    - reward your peeps ...

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for your review. As mentioned in a previous comment we have recently carried out work around maternity leave which is hopefully a positive step.

3. Career enhancing

Former Employee - Non Life Actuarial Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Non Life Actuarial Manager in London, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional, intelligent, and friendly colleagues.
    Reasonable pay
    Better than average IT though nothing to write home about
    Interesting and challenging work
    Pretty good morale

Cons

Too much down time between contracts.
    Uncompetitive chargeout rate
    Some of the best people have left
    At management level it can be difficult to work on projects other than those that fit your skill set, meaning less chance to diversify skilks - though still opportunities to get better at what you do know.

Advice to Management

Hold on to the more charismatic and popular people in your organisation as this is what made it a good place to work.

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for noting our professional, intelligent and friendly colleagues.

Supportive and encouraging

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Always welcoming questions, support us through exams and always provide help through to qualification.

Cons

Due to the sheer size of the firm, it can be difficult to bring innovation to the forefront. Bureaucracy can slow firm in comparison to small competitors

Sep 30, 2013Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments around study support.

6. Employee Survey Analyst

Current Employee - Employee Survey Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Employee Survey Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Early exposure to clients including true client relationship management over the course of a project in person, via email and on the phone.

Some senior consultants are very collaborative and help analysts develop as better advisors to clients which includes involving analysts in survey design and results roll-out (including presentation to executive leadership).

Cons

Long hours during the busier periods (usually July to December) which can be as long as 15 hours straight and weekend overtime. This is all unpaid.

Advice to Management

Better transparency.

Disconnected, no job security

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many of the clients and actuaries that we worked with were very friendly and intelligent.

Cons

Accepting this job was the worst mistake of my career, which I've thankfully recovered from since. A lot of time was wasted on internal processes and objectives were very vague. I know people who were forced to leave for reasons that were contrived. They have had much more success at other companies since, with much higher salaries.

There doesn't seem to be enough awareness of competing technologies.

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep your best employees, enjoy themselves and be productive. Find ways to leverage and develop the skills of your employees and allow them to engage with their broader professional communities.

Sep 30, 2013Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments about the people who work here. Your constructive feedback will be passed on.

Glorified secretary, occasionally does basic arithmetic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Good people here if you can find them but they have all left.
    With the amount of people gone now, if you are a junior client consulting analyst you are able to go to client meetings in your first year, but is that really a good trade-off?

Cons

Your hard work is rewarded with more admin and coordination work. Most of your day is spent chasing people and writing up invoice summaries.
    Juniors are expected to only do admin and billing for about 3-4 years until you make consultant. When you bring this up to managers, they only solidify that sentiment and ask you to be patient.
    Low compensation.

Advice to Management

Think about why your analysts are leaving.
    Think about the business model, loyalty is not a business model in this paradigm shift.
    There is a gap between all levels of employees. What you think works may not work for your junior tier.

Great values - bit stodgy since the merger

Current Employee - Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people - genuinely very clever; great IC, environment, collaborative, genuine , authentic and they live their values; long tenure;

Cons

Senior leadership very average; not terribly dynamic; risk averse; conservative and traditional; too much silo'd behaviour between lines of business (but gettting better at that)

Advice to Management

Please retire and let some younger more dynamic people get on with it

May 14, 2013Segment Lead Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on glassdoor.com. We're glad to hear about all of the positive things about being a Director in London and pleased that your areas of concerns are ... More

The times are a changin!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Reigate, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Reigate, England

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Variety of work, flexibility to manage own work loads and good clients generally.

Cons

Targets, targets and more targets combined with requirement to charge for everything, open brown nosing and open 'sucking up' to move ahead, lack of collaboration and competition with colleagues.

Advice to Management

You lost the Watson Wyatt culture and sold your souls to rampant individualism, rewarding same and similar behaviours and suppressing difference. A good place to learn and then move on, but not a nice place to work and try make a difference in the finish.

11. Great Company to work for

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Worldwide firm with personal recognition.

Cons

Nothing that I can think about