Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated 11 September 2014
Updated 11 September 2014
2.0

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina
Robert J. Giardina

Pros
  • Free gym membership and that's it- kids could be fun but not set up well for camp so it was more like a babysitting service (in 36 reviews)

• friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance you are constantly on call from 5am till 11pm and forget about holidays (in 10 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

not a good experience

Former Employee - CSM  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - CSM in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

the free gym membership is helpful

Cons

no work life balance, aggressive sales practices,

good first position

Poor management

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free gym membership, great co-workers

Cons

Company is moving backwards, Difficult work environment, long hours

Think about putting the employees and members first and business will thrive. Also, stop hating lunkhead managers and expecting them to be good at running a business.

Underwhelming experience being a part of TSI

Former Employee - Master Trainer  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Master Trainer in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, there were no pros in my opinions.

Cons

The leadership that I experienced was completely incompetent and non-motivational. The turnover at my particular location in leadership was horrendous; in my year and half with TSI, I experienced three different general managers and 4 fitness managers. There was a complete lack of professionalism in the office environment throughout. I felt that the leaders did not create an environment that was conducive to staff growth and improvement. The technological systems in place then allowed for a great amount of "cheating" to be done when it came to booking client sessions for trainers; there were several occasions where one particular trainer at my home location would steal client sessions from other trainers and get paid for them. Despite being aware of this situation, the fitness manager at the time allowed it to continue without any reprimand. The cleanliness of the facility was never up to par and was a constant complaint from our patrons. Aside from the issues found at my particular home gym location, I noticed the same leadership and personnel issues at most of the TSI locations that I visited to teach and/or train.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A struggling behemoth in a sea of fishes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits were good

Cons

It's a large company that tries to straddle the different health club markets and is being challenged heartily by the multitude of small competitors and a few top competitors. The company lacks a supportive culture for the employees and working there is not enjoyable.

You need to restructure into a leaner more competitive player and value your employees more.

It is all about sales

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

If you have a passion for the fitness industry, this is s good place to start as the company tries to provide a great customer service. Check on training programs, they used to have a good system in place.

Cons

High turnover rate of employees, starting with the management. Expectations are high with a low pay rate.

Give better pay rate and benefits to keep good employees.

Talk the talk but never walk the walk

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Working with the members and staff of fitness professionals is the most rewarding aspect of the company and job. Fitness is a fun and inspiring industry.

Cons

Company claims they care for their members and staff but do not come close to backing that up. They charge members where ever possible, rarely improve the clubs that have been open for decades and put constant pressure on employees for sales results and hours worked.

Listen to the feedback from your employees, and implement good ideas. These are the people working the front lines with your members from the day they join the club. They know what is best for their clubs. Trust in those your hire.

Great Team, Average Management

Former Employee - Welcome Team  in  Franklin, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Welcome Team in Franklin, MA (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team

Cons

Poor management. Good GMs are promoted quickly. Bad GMs are not and therefor spend a lot more time doing mediocre work until they either quite or do something bad enough to get fired.

Better hiring process. Less reliance on online questionnaire.

RUN for your life!!!

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Free Gym membership.
    That's it.

Cons

Don't care about the members or employees.
    Zero support or development.
    Lack of culture
    Mediocre benefits

This is to the COO or board members: You want to see change? Replace every single person of the upper management team (anyone from Business Directors and above including senior HR)

Poor management, support and development.
    Chronic negligence, quick to point the finger downwards. No accountability.

There is a reason the company lost close to 100 managers in 2013 alone.
    I'll give you a hint it's not the people you are hiring that are the problem. Is the existing culture.

Horrible upper management

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They recognize talent and promote from within

Cons

They suck all of the life out of you and treat you like you don't matter. They make club management work 50 hours or more a wk and only pay you for 40 because of a loop hole in the system. Upper management is a joke. They're just a bunch of lewd frat guys who flirt with the girls and lack any real management skills.

How about you put more time into having the right people in the company and you won't have so many members cancelling and joining dirty gyms? I was let go for such a BS reason, to keep the GM from being canned and HR did nothing. I'm horrified at the treatment I received. You should be ashamed. This company has been going down for years. Put it out of its misery already.

"Lets do a roll call to see who is on the call"

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Your staff at the club level is what makes your day enjoyable and fun. Good people and great members make the GM position fun.

Cons

Anyone outside your club in corporate at a senior or director level love to micro manage and enjoy putting you down. No one outside your club cares about the employees. They care about sucking up to directors and VPs.

None. Its enjoyable watching the stock tank and corporate getting stressed. Perhaps the 3 twelve hour days per month don't help morale?

Worked for Town Sports International Holdings? Contribute to the Community!