Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)(in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members(in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit(in 39 reviews)

trader joes is a great place to work

Mate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

Prosgreat people and many great food options. Great management staff who spend much time on the development of the crew.

Conshave to deal with the general public. You don't get to spend much time with your family because you spend so much time at work. You have to do lots of heavy lifting which can quickly run your body down into the ground. You are not compensated well for the amount of time and effort you put in as a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you were once a part time employee too.

On the bright side its starts off at $10/hr, not bad at all for being a beginner of working.

ProsFood discounts, health benefits, mostly friendly crew, loving customers.

ConsReviews not accurate, favoritism happens in the store (some co-workers can do what they want as long as they'e good friends with a manager) co-workers steal from one another (breaking into lockers) and some rude disrespectful customers and highly praise "the customer is always right.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it professional and play your role. Don't act as a regular co worker playing favortism making some employers your friends. Treat everyone equally and stay on tasks.

Fun, Easy Job

Demo Hostess (Former Employee) Cerritos, CA (US)

ProsMy co- workers & Managers were a pretty great group of people. Employee loyalty, opportunities to advance if you apply yourself. Good pay.Good Benifets.

ConsI cant complain, I guess the position could be borring & repetiive at times. Dealing with Difficult Customers. Durring the holidays you get to taste test new special holiday items- to tell the customers abou them. I gained weight! I guess that was really my fault though!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it Real

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cool and stable job

Crew Member (Former Employee) Columbia, MD (US)

ProsIt is a pretty decent place to work for. They like personalities and people who want to work hard.

ConsSome of the management needs to go, and some employees literally wander around and do nothing all day

Restructuring not good

Crew Member (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule. Good food and tastings. Not stuck doing same work all the time. Cool coworkers. Benefits are still good even though they have declined dramatically.

ConsRestructuring really hurt the company as far as morale and benefits. Morale at all time low since I have been working there. The way they demoted merchants at every single store in the company was completely unfair and unjust. They picked new merchants based on favoritism. The training for managers is poor. Managers need to be trained before they are promoted not as a work in progress. Then they can tell if they are leaders or not. That is the way they use to do it. Just because someone is a good worker does not mean they can manage or lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting benefits for your workers. Regionals need to talk to their crew members more. Get some feedback. They can tell you what is the real deal. Talking to managers in the store when they visit is not going to let them know how the store is really being run or what the feeling is as far as working conditions. A lot of managers will cover their butts with lies. So they look good and the store looks good.

Crew Member

Crew Member (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsFun atmosphere
    Great co-workers
    Always a delicious treat open in the back room

ConsThe company is becoming more and more corporate. The salaries and benefits are decreasing and the good people are being scared away. It's slowly becoming Wal Mart which is really sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementGod back to the old days. I understand Trader Joe's wants to grow and expand, but it doesn't need to be at the cost of its employees.

Fading Glory, Trader Joe's has become a large retailer and is NOT A SPECIAL PLACE TO WORK! Los Angeles area.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsA little less formal as far as retail, jeans, shorts...
    Small stores, less running around, compared to big box.
    For now, workers are still kind of happy, changing fast.

ConsNow a Big Company and feeling more like it everyday.
    Managers are lazy, standing in groups, doing nothing.
    Company is forcing more short-shifts, 5 hours or less and cutting hours on every shift, forcing higher-paid, experienced workers out.
    If you dare to get a second job to help pay bills, they stop scheduling you but don't really fire you...
    "Merchants" no longer carry keys and are just the managers favorites who kiss ___ and get over paid to stock shelves, they don't help anyone (workers or customers).
    Managers give you an "area" to clean but there is no time given to "keep it clean".

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you "Know everything", nothing.

Ok...

Crew (Current Employee)

ProsPay starts above minimum wage.
    friendly environment
    never boring
    customer are always interesting
    you will always learn something new everyday.

ConsToo many poor leaders
    No secure checks and balances
    creepy/rude customers
    HR is hard to access

Advice to Senior ManagementOur store is currently going through a mass firings and we are losing the customers trust. Customers have brought it to my attention that they have noticed the layoffs, and dislike the atmosphere in store. This tactic of using fear to affect performance is inappropriate and does not allow the employees provide the WOW customer experience. The store has the seven core value for a reason. Just hiring new people because it is cheaper is not more effective. Management needs to know their team and that their employees are the product, without the cheerful employee, Trader Joe's is just like Von's. Customers have their favorite cashiers, demo severs, and helms people. If you get rid of these people you lose customer trust, WOW Experience, and ultimately loyalty.

Fun and Physical

Part Time Crew Member (Former Employee)

ProsLoved the staff and management, work was exciting and went fast, lots of product sampling and training.

ConsWanted longer hours.. benefits could be a little better.. overall is a friendly place to work though.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to give more full time positions.

fun job

Prostreated with respect and great people

Conssore body with hard work

Advice to Senior Managementkeep listening

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!