Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits) (in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members (in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Crew Member (part time/full time)

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount is 10% off everything in the store.
    "Tastings" which do include beer and wine (if you are of age of course) for Product Knowledge
    Crew Members can be be around your age bracket and always have a great attitude.
    Have the ability to get a raise... which is every 6months after that you have to wait a year after that.

Cons

Management can fire you at their will.
    Management can play "favorites" with certain crew members
    Seniority does not matter in this job.
    Customers always think their entitled to treat you like crap. Don't take anything personally from them.

Great experience

Current Employee - Mate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Mate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun, flexible, great people and products. The uniform rocks! Opportunities for everyone willing to bust their butt to get noticed.

Cons

Slow path to earning a fair wage if promoted from within
    Becoming just another giant grocer with lots of competition on the horizon.
    Culture being lost in rapid growth.

Pay people, especially managers who are promoted from within and are your culture keepers what they are worth!

Overall, great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time

Pros

The people are really fun to work with, you will make great friends here. Fun and fast pace environment with hard-working people. I have learned a lot about how to deal with all different types of people between the customers and co-workers and management. Great temporary job for young people and or students or for people who are looking to make a decent amount of money fairly easy.

Cons

The company is making a lot of changes to management and benefits etc. they are becoming more corporate.

Tone-down the micromanaging a bit, it does absolutely nothing for morale. Promoting from outside the company also negatively effects morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing benefits, long hours, high production expected of you.

Former Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager)  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are great with an ample health and vision insurance, dental is OK. Possible performance bonus once a year and annual generous raises. Passionate employees and well informed and educated customers make the time at work fly by.

Cons

Hours are long and inconsistent. For managers the overtime is what is best but working 49.5 hours/ week can be brutal especially because of the consistent schedule. One day you are working a closing shift and 3 days later you are opening the store. Chances of advancement are slim.

Keep managers closer to home.

Overall positive employee atmosphere, high pressure on management level employees

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Trader Joe's is one of the best places I have worked when it comes to employee treatment - this is to say that they try to treat their employees as humans with consideration to home and family life. They are flexible with your scheduling needs.

Trader Joe's does not get too caught up in appearance in the hiring process. Tattoos and piercings are definitely not a problem. They are looking for intelligent, like-minded individuals. I enjoy working in a crowd of people who are fairly intelligent.

The workday in Trader Joe's is not too monotonous. No one is typically hired for just one function. Everyone stocks, cashiers, etc. The day is broken up into hour-long blocks and you are usually not on one task for too long.

The rate at which they hire employees is largely based on prior experience. This can be a huge benefit to those who do have management experience, but aren't necessarily entering TJ's as a manager. They value the experience and pay you higher rates based on such experience.

Cons

There is certainly heavy-lifting involved. Everyone is expected to do all aspects of the job. So if you are afraid of manual labor, this may not be the place for you.

If you are looking to move up, expect to work here for quite some time. I was hired at a pay rate much higher than most of the people in the "crew" level because of my extensive management experience in previous jobs. However, after having been working here for 4 months, I am no closer to any higher level of responsibility and the general consensus seems to be that it takes 1 year or better before there is any chance of moving up.

As with most retail, if you are part-time, your hours can vary greatly. Summer-time up north is a slow season and your hours can get cut drastically. Don't expect to always have a steady income if you are not a full-time employee.

Management seems to sometimes get a little puffed up and often do not follow through with things. As a manager myself, this is a little irksome because I feel it impacts the trust and respect from the employees, which impacts morale.

Trader Joe's is set on not having too many levels of management, keeping it simple and close-knit for their employees. However, there are a lot of people who stagnate because of this, not having enough opportunity to move up.

Mate

Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager)
    Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager)

I have been working at Trader Joe's for more than 5 years

Pros

Great products and price. Benefits, atmosphere, cut fat off the top by demoting highly paid veterans.... Or is that a con since I am not one of them.

Cons

Becoming more numbers /accounting orientated. New Mates are young and mobile and underpaid for what the company demands (but better than other retail mgmt. positions) but other companies don't demand as much. Mate bonuses suck.

Still losing sight of the big picture by treating crew members as numbers. Rapid expansion stressing vendors and hurting customer experience. $250 bonus, really?!?!?

Great Part-Time gig

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work environment and clientele. Flexibility. Great benefits (when I was there) - health coverage for part-timers, 401k w/ employeer contributions, accrued leave. Above average for a part-time job.

Cons

It's retail, so you get your share of difficult, entitled customers. Fewer here than at most other places.

Recent changes are puzzling.

Recent cuts to benefits and structure changes are puzzling. You had a winning model that was working beautifully - why fix what isn't broken?

Crew member

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member  in  Long Is City, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Long Is City, NY (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for with management that works with you. Very customer friendly which many other places have forgotten. Once you are employed you have the opportunity to learn just about every job in the store so people are interchangeable. One cool benefit that I liked besides the 10 percent discount was the fact that the company full funded my retirement plan with no employee contributions. That was cool. People from all walks of life work there and the diversity is great.

Cons

If you are looking for mental stimulation then you will not find it. Independent thinkers will go crazy. Since you are dealing with the public, people will be people. There will be some rude customers as well as some that expect you to be a mind reader.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member  in  Peabody, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Peabody, MA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation, fellow workers, funky attitude. Customers LOVE to shop with us because we treat them with respect and work to make them happy with their purchase.

Cons

Hard work, not entirely older worker friendly, benefits now only for full-timers. Some process break-down due to busy store being understaffed.

LISTEN to your employees - don't shoot the messenger, listen to the message! Company is getting more and more corporate and less flexible. Attention to detail lacking and it means processes suffer.

crew member

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Monrovia, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Monrovia, CA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

Pros

excellent place to work, great atmosphere friendly

Cons

gets busy during rush hours

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!