Tradesmen International

Updated 25 November 2014
Updated 25 November 2014
2.1

Joseph Wesley

Pros
  • Quick advancement and opportunities to make good money (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay after you build a territory (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• No work life balance, pay is below industry average, will tell you what they think you want to hear to keep you (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working for them.

Current Employee - Welder\journeyman in Dalton, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Welder\journeyman in Dalton, GA (US)

I have been working at Tradesmen International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Any concerns I can call the team who sent me and they work hard to fix any problems.

Cons

Knowingly away from home and family. Good pay for experienced and professional workers.

My personal experience would say keep up the good work. And thank you.

So So

I worked at Tradesmen International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work during the recession

Cons

Sent to some bad, unsafe companies. Pay was disproportionate to skill set

You get what you pay for

Good company

I have been working at Tradesmen International

Pros

Good company, in better time it will be a great place to work

Cons

Not big enough pool in area

Tradesmen is no different than any other staffing company

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Tradesmen International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to launch a sales career and get "reps".... must learn to develop skills in cold calling, appointment setting, and closing deals... all good skills to have if you are getting started in sales. Can get promoted fairly quickly.

Cons

Car allowance is only 5 months. You are expected to set 5 appointments a day .... 5 days a week. Minimum.. Its not impossible but it would require 12 or 13 hrs a day to do that and the work you put in is not worth the wear and tear on your vehicle and the pay. Hours are 7am to 6pm... and if your office is struggling, you have to work Saturdays.

The sales approaches they use are old, laughable and ineffective.. high pressure, close now ... even if the client does not have a need, management believes "a good salesman can persuade anyone".... Most construction companies that have been around for awhile have numerous people they can call at a moments notice and they will come running.... and a lot of these "craftsmen" like to work sporadically... They don't want full time employment...

You tell contractors that "workers comp, insurance, etc... is covered by us...no liability to you".... the reality is that the cost of all that is rolled into what Tradesmen bills the clients. They don't save anything.

In training, you are told its a "relationship" sale or consult... in reality it is a "slam" sale based on lies and talking contractors into something they don't want to do.... You overpromise and under deliver daily in order to satisfy management. I worked for 5 months trying to get the largest roofing company in my region to come on board...they finally gave me a shot....we sent 4 guys out in 4 days.... they all quit or did not come back after one day... no call/no show.... one "qualified roofer" quit because it was too hot and he had to work with Hispanics... This was the pattern almost every time we sent workers out. I would lose clients a week after signing them up because we could not provide good employees. Our internal recruiter had his hands tied. He had nothing to work with and he worked hard and long hours to find qualified people.

VERY Unprofessional. The management gets hammered drunk at company events and acts atrocious.

The actual tradesmen you deal are mostly unqualified or have numerous felonies... or major "dings" on their record... or show up High or prove to be uncooperative... Some would tell you flat out "I wont let you down, thanks so much for finding me a job"... and not show up the very next day.... and not call... Some tradesmen like to travel but most that are worth anything will either already working full time... The unemployed tradesmen that apply are usually unemployed for a reason... And if you do get a qualified worker and the employer likes him, they will quit tradesmen and go work for the contractor directly.

Get in line with reality and modern sales approaches.... People are too smart now to buy into sales "techniques or tactics"... A relationship sale or problem solving consultation is not made in one meeting... or even in a month or two.. it takes time and you cannot create need in a down economy or a depressed area of the country or by a "closing technique"...

Be upfront and honest with your employees

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Tradesmen International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not many, good starting point for resume bullets

Cons

Sell the company and let someone run it that values their employees

Challenging and Rewarding Job

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Tradesmen International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging and rewarding. If looking for a great company to work with a grow with its a great company. Management is allowed to create and build the best team.

Cons

If you just want things handed or think that just getting by you should move up Tradesmen International is not for you. Opportunity means work, don't be afraid to work and people do great for the company. Starting pay is low but once the hard work pays off it gets better. Don't expect it to happen over night, that's what I see time after time again.

Management is forward looking and is the industry leader in construction labor support.

Waste of time

Current Employee - HVAC in DFW, TX (US)
    Current Employee - HVAC in DFW, TX (US)

I have been working at Tradesmen International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a temp agency. I have been working for tradesmen almost 3 months and still have not put in a 40 hour work week. In my interview they told me that it was not a temp agency and that i would have no problem working full time. Hindsight is 20 20.
    If you are looking for a full time job need not apply. If you are looking for temporary work for extra income it is a perfect fit

happy job hunting

Cons

2/3 of the job offers were pulled last minute

Lock down the contract before getting the employees for that job

Sales/Field Reps.... Be Leary of this company!

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

I worked at Tradesmen International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ok base pay, the benefits are ok, and you will have some great networking opportunities.

Cons

Long hours, on-call all the time with field employees not showing up, etc, You will put a TON of miles/wear and tear on your car (with little compensation for it), No matter how well you perform, its never enough. You will have to do your job, the project coordinators job, and even the admins job at times on top of your own work load and trying to make sales. There is a lack of accurate job description, so you will never know if you've actually done what you should, and will constantly be told you did things wrong or blamed for things, that were not even your fault/job! There is little to no work-life balance.

Help your reps! Be more up front with what the expectations are, and help them to achieve those. Its basically a week of training and throw them into their territory with high expectations, even the best reps can/will fail under these types of standards. And each office should have a list of positions, and what position is accountable for each job... NOT a free for all with lack of communication!

They can kick rocks

I have been working at Tradesmen International

Pros

Good pay and allot of work

Cons

Poor management and allot of lies and incorrect information. I was told on my first job that the job paid per diem and when I got my check it wasn't on there(when I finally got my check)I called to ask about itand was told I would not be receiving it because I made a mistake in my app. In my option you get told your making something you get paid it.also ask my checks have been for our five days late. I currently have a complaint with the department of labor. My advice this company will screw you over when they get the chance do not work here.

Can suck it

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Carpenter, Mason, Welder in Lima, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Carpenter, Mason, Welder in Lima, OH (US)

I worked at Tradesmen International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was subjected to a wide variety of trade work. Although I did not take advantage of the offers, many of the companies I worked for through tradesman gave me job offers with very competitive salaries.

Cons

I really have nothing to say for the cons, everyones experience with this company is different, I had a good one.