TransUnion LLC

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Peck

Pros:
  • "They have good policies and management in place to support work/life balance"
    in 15 reviews
  • "They pay and benefits are satisfactory (not great mind you)"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Too much red tape to get anything done"
    in 8 reviews
  • "When there was a company wide salary freeze, they promoted all senior management (e"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

TransUnion is a good place to work

I have been working at TransUnion LLC

ProsThe team I'm on - I love my team at TransUnion - everyone is focused on doing there best work, and it's been great to see the success we've had.
The people - TransUnion is full of smart and motivated individuals.
Good Benefits.
Ability to move up.

ConsLots of changes at Senior Leadership.

Pros have outweighed cons for me

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TransUnion LLC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNew owners are currently investing in hiring, systems, acquisitions, and in renovating the building to encourage workforce engagement and company growth. There are plenty of job opportunities for those who are willing to take charge of their own career. Great access to public transportation. Good salaries and benefits.

ConsIt is difficult to get projects done and priorities change at a high frequency. Multiple ownership changes have taken a toll on employees and the culture. There are very few women in upper management (boys club), despite mentoring initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to fully vet growth initiatives. Expensive surface changes may not have the results that new management expects.

It's an alright experience for an Intern

Technology Intern (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at TransUnion LLC part-time for less than a year

ProsThey have some good stuff going on in healthcare. I spoke to a lot of people while I was here and the work they were doing was great.

ConsThe team I was working on was stale and the technology was old. Didn't have much to do

Advice to Senior ManagementHave faith in the interns and give them actual work

Poor Communication

Director (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are great to work with.

ConsExecutives do not communicate effectively. Implementing change is very difficult and sometimes impossible. Processes and technology is dated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind better ways to communicate your vision. Be more engaged with eveyone on your team at all levels.

Need to be in the right "click" to survive.

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at TransUnion LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people to work with. They care about the work and each other.

ConsI had 4 different team leaders and three different titles in 4 years. Way to much change in a short period of time to measure whether or not things are even working properly. They promote managers from within with zero experience and worst of all zero people skills. Workloads are unsustainable due to huge push to migrate systems off mainframe to open systems. Unfortunately for all those employees performing those migrations once they are complete TU will need less then half of the production staff and will start cutting immediately. Should be by end of 2015 at latest. To be on the good side of the layoffs you need to be in the click of people who started around early 2000's.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor upper management give those employees a good severence package and don't ship the jobs remaining overseas. You can at least hire right out of college for those jobs.
For middle management your employees are your most valuable asset. You need to treat them that way. Positive reinforcement is as old as time BUT still in fact works.

No adancement

I have been working at TransUnion LLC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsConveniant to get to, as well as good 401(K). Work life balance is pretty good, at least in my area, not in all though

ConsBeen there for 10 years. Originally it was a "big" company, but run like a small one. Now, 3 owners later, its layered in process, procedure and politics. When the consulting pie disappeared in 2008, many came to work at TU. With that came large salaries for them, as well as halt in product development, advancement and the culture became very stuffy. Things that used to take 2 days, started take 2 weeks, probably due to management knowing absolutely nothing about data or TU's clients.

I've been on both the IT side as well as the business side of things. IT has "leaders" who truly now nothing about IT, however, they talk well. The technical side of things is archaic because of a heavy reliance on vendors to sell enterprise products that do not produce and the soldiers are left to try and use these "tools."

Thier third party survey's pointed out numerous areas that need serious attention, mainly advancement, COMMUNICATION, and training. No improvement whatsover in these areas, especially the communication area. Serious lack of direction, not just from the very top, but within small groups. Frustrating to say least.

Lots of hiring going on right now, however revenue is flat. Big changes coming in 2016, most beleive Goldman Sachs will IPO it or sell the business. Lots of turnover happening. Serious caste system in place, "haves" and "have nots", mostly have nots.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better, and not just with VP's, but across the board. Usually when someone is good at "the game" or politics, they're not good managers, thats what you have. Serious need of good managers needed.

Solid company going through culture change

I have been working at TransUnion LLC full-time

ProsHigher than average salaries. The building is currently going through a renovation and will have a much more modern look. There is also a new CEO who is trying to make the culture more employee friendly.

ConsLack of direction and leadership from upper management. There is a lot of inefficiencies and manual processes. There is a lack of communication between segments.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better leadership to employees.

Great people, but lacking in trust

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TransUnion LLC

ProsSome good job mobility for some, GREAT work life balance and flexibility

ConsVery heavy on the top, little to no leverage of individual contributor talent

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust and empower

Once a wonderful company, now mostly concerned with cost cutting.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Crum Lynne, PA (US)

I worked at TransUnion LLC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome of the most knowledgeable and loyal people work there. If your willing to volunteer for projects and can prove yourself, great opportunity to learn new things.

Consshort sighted focus, and extreme cost cutting is hurting long term outlook. Office Politics plays a bigger role than results in some field locations. Threat of job elimination is always over your head. Owners looking for the fast profit before selling the company. Some members of management were promoted before they were ready, therefore knee-jerk decisions are being made.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the front line employees, as management below the C-level is too concerned with protecting themselves to act in best interest of company. There is no trust of middle management, (Team Managers through Directors)

Used to be great but buyout is the worst thing that ever happened

IT Professional (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at TransUnion LLC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood compensation and health benefits

ConsEmployees are undervalued for their contribution.
Bottom line is profits and Managers and top level only gets the credit

Advice to Senior ManagementReal Career Development and Recognition to Employees and not dirty games and politics.

Worked for TransUnion LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TransUnion LLC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TransUnion LLC CEO Jim Peck. All 121 reviews are posted anonymously by TransUnion LLC employees.