TransUnion

Updated 27 January 2015
Updated 27 January 2015
3.3

Jim Peck

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance with the ability to work off-site as needed (in 19 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home twice a week depending on your department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance exists, but is not the strongest the Chicago area (in 8 reviews)

• Processes - The amount of red-tape and lack of practical training on how to navigate the "system" is awe-inspiring (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

TransUnion is a wonderful place to work. They really care about their people, strive to always be better and have a relaxed working environment you typically don't find in this 'type' of business.

Cons

I think this company is only getting better, each and every day.

Almost there.

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working for TransUnion. I'm really early into my career and have taken advantage of many opportunities TU has presented. Love to new brand. For the most part, I enjoy my coworkers.

Cons

For a tech company, we're not very tech savy. Small example, I was told that I need to restart my computer every time I'm having issues with the sound. Every. Single. Time. Nothing like rebooting during a presentation.

Fully commit to the trch company personality.

Intern Review

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at TransUnion (less than a year)

Pros

good pay
    good location
    lots of free food

Cons

often dull
    you work with mostly older people

recruit younger people

Better than average culture in a growing, innovative organization

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is fantastic! I went from a company where the expectation was a minimum of 50 hours a week to a company that values the life I have outside of work. I come to work most days excited about what is happening and the impact I can make. Transunion is investing in technologies and people that make this a very exciting time to be a part of this organization. Additionally, the benefits package is wonderful, I appreciate the $0.00 deductible and the low out of pocket costs for myself and my family.

Cons

Some of the processes/policies are a bit outdated, it can take some work to get things done if you are new and don't know the proper person to reach out to. Additionally, as a global organization, there are locations that simply don't have the technical infrastructure necessary to be efficient, and that can be a bit frustrating at times.

Keep investing in your people, keep sharing news that keeps us excited about growth and changes.

A lot of great things are happening at Transunion Healthcare

Current Employee - Development in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Development in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

The Austin division of Transunion Healthcare is a great place to work at. There is a mix of old timers and new blood. Together, you get to develop solutions to old and new problems. The technology stack is .Net and SQL, but the problems you get to solve and the projects you get to work on are interesting and cutting-edge. There is a lot more flexibility than what I had heard of. Very collaborative work environment, lots of growth. Good benefits too.

Cons

Not a great place for people who don't enjoy attention to detail, and don't have a natural inclination to work with lots and lots of data. I don't see anyone wearing shorts to work even in summer. Glad to see jeans all the time though. :)

Be mindful and don't take a step in the wrong direction. We have a good going right now.

A lot of creativity and innovation

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Transunion for almost 4 years and in the last year I have seen a lot of positive changes, one of which is our remodeling of the corporate office to make it more conducive to collaboration. We have experienced a lot of growth and are exploring a lot of new ideas and practices. We are investing in our employees by offering them many opportunities to grow and develop their skills. A great time to be a TransUnion associate!

Cons

No workplace is perfect and in our current period of change we have been challenged to keep the "boat afloat" by completing day to day tasks and work on new and innovative projects. Sometimes this has been a challenge at times due to being short staffed in our department, but I feel that management is interested in our concerns and in our ideas for making Transunion a great place to work and recognizes and supports our efforts and is trying to get us caught up to where we should be in our industry; as the leading provider of credit information and tools..

Great Company to work for!!

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

Good work life balance, great people, new branding looks promising.

Cons

Lack of diversity in the senior management team.

Innovative global firm, highly talented team, collaborative environment

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

We are growing and with that comes a new level of excitement about our new products, ongoing commitment to customers, and focus on our associates. Change is sponsored by the business, and supported through training. Internal processes are being reviewed and/or reshaped to best meet employee/ customer needs. Strong leaders, extraordinarily bright co-workers, and an environment that encourages you drive your own success and that of the company.

Cons

Be prepared to work to meet corporate objectives while processes are simultaneously being enhanced. If you thrive in a fast-paced, and innovative workplace, if you want to grow and stretch your own capabilities, if you want to be a part of an company that "lives" collaboration, apply here and join the team!

Be cognizant of competing timelines/ priorities.
    Advocate ongoing coaching at every level of the organization - it engages employees (from the most senior pots to the most junior post) and drives business results.

Growing company with exciting career opportunities

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with the company over 2 years and I've seen it change from a slightly stuffy company to one that is more agile and making exciting changes (like a complete renovation of corporate headquarters).

We're in the sweet spot in terms of scale (4,000+ employees) since you can do cool things like working across departments on international projects and also have the structure and resources to make things easily manageable. TransUnion growth also allows for greater career opportunities - I've made both a lateral job change, and received a promotion.

Overall I'm happy with the direction Transunion is heading and would recommended it as an employer to friends.

Cons

Like any company, your experience will vary by manager. Though we have some great managers, there are some that need improvement (who I personally wouldn't want to work for / with). Be careful to flush this out if you're interviewing!

Keep an eye on how management handles their employees. I've seen lots of top talent leave due to dissatisfaction with managers.