TransUnion

Updated 25 November 2014
Updated 25 November 2014
3.1

Jim Peck

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance with the ability to work off-site as needed (in 19 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home twice a week depending on your department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance exists, but is not the strongest the Chicago area (in 8 reviews)

• Processes - The amount of red-tape and lack of practical training on how to navigate the "system" is awe-inspiring (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Changing for the better!

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

With new leadership, there is a culture shift happening to becoming a more global, collaborative company. With that come growing pains with a lot of changes happening at the same time, but for the most part employees are excited as investments are being made in themselves and technology. Relaxed work environment, renovating corporate headquarters, new café in the building, great gym facilities.

Cons

Lacking a bonus structure for the majority of employees. While there are great overall benefits, there is no maternity/paternity leave. There is still an “old school” mentality and are outdated approval processes in place which can be road blocks to completing tasks.

Continue to engage the workforce and keep employees aware of the great things happening within the company.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Statistical Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Statistical Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Offers good work-life balance and perks

Cons

Nothing to complain about yet

Continuously Improving

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TransUnion has been a great company to launch my career and has provided me fantastic growth opportunities over the years. I have had the opportunity to work with very intelligent and supportive colleagues and managers – the people are truly what make TransUnion a great place to work! TransUnion is a growing fast-paced, work-hard environment, so you must be able to navigate change and deliver results.

Great benefits, newly renovated office in Chicago, opportunities for advancement (they have made a huge investment in internal hires/promotions in the last couple of years) and the BEST people!

Cons

No bonus structure for non-management roles. Some processes and policies could be revised to keep up with the now fast-paced/results-oriented culture.

Continue to invest in top talent and focus on more opportunities for work-life balance

Great company to work for with plenty of growth potential.

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

The best part about working at TransUnion is the culture. The majority of people are very friendly and helpful. When I first started working here I was amazed that the atmosphere was so positive and people weren't complaining all the time. Of course people have stressful days, but overall I feel that most people really enjoy what they do here. Most teams are pretty laid back with flexible starting times and casual Fridays. There also seems to be a lot of upward growth, depending on your department, you could be moved up pretty quickly. The work-life balance is also ahead of the curve. You get 19 PTO days, but if you are sick or have something come up, you can just work from home. This is not just for senior managers, making you feel like you are really valued. You also get one VTO day a year where you can volunteer somewhere for the day. The corporate Chicago office is also going through a renovation and the space looks very nice. It has a gym, game room, and reasonably priced cafe with free Intelligentsia coffee. One last thing to note is they have different activities you can get involved in. There is a public speaking group, a young professionals group, and an events committee that plans activities throughout the year.

Cons

The company is going through some changes with a fairly new CEO, so some might see that as a deterrent, but so far he has really helped TransUnion become modernized. One con about working for a large company like this is that there are lots of procedures and protocols, so you have to go through a ton of channels to get some things done or approved. Also, because of the amount of data housed, there are a lot of IT security restrictions which can be cumbersome and sometimes you can’t even get into your email because the network is so slow.

Continue to innovate and help the culture of TransUnion stay appealing to new and existing employees. Make sure the policies and procedures make sense so that people can work efficiently and don't have to jump through unnecessary hoops.

Great to place to work at!

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Great team and culture, Flexible working hours - depends on your own work, Gym facility, cafe with subsidized rates and next to union station.

Cons

The location is little far for the people living in the north of the city

Progressive, Investing, Great People

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Logistically: TransUnion is a very stable company; benefits are strong and competitive, salaries competitive within the industry

Personally: The most important things to me are working with smart, pleasant people and being a place that allows opportunity to move up. I wouldn't trade any member of my team for the world and the growth I've experienced has been strong. I was promoted after a year and a half. This is a fast-paced, work-hard environment, but your work is definitely recognized.

Cons

TransUnion is battling some misconceptions about it's brand; the company was very conservative a couple of years ago, but has turned around into a very progressive place. Most people, however, tend to picture a stuffy bank (which it is definitely not!).

One relic from TU's conservative time is a remote worker policy that can be frustrating at times. Little to know flexibility to hire remote workers; stringent requirement to be on-site. However, those on-site do have flexibility to work from home occasionally.

Keep it up! We're excited to be a part of something that is growing. Continue investing in technology and people, and TU will be in a position to take the market by storm!

Turning the Corner

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Leadership team is stable now and has clear view for growth
    * Great benefits and work life balance
    * Great focus on culture (employee and family events, philanthropy)
    * Building improvements in Chicago are amazing

Cons

* Only Directors and up get bonuses

* Expand the bonus pool

Nice company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at TransUnion as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

location advantage
    superb office facilities

Cons

less pay as compared to others in the market

Its like a full package..fun, work, life, friends and money.

Current Employee - Trainee in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Trainee in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not much of a stressful environment
    Friendly people
    Love this work

Cons

Have to buy own food

It looked good on paper

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at TransUnion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary was competitive. Jim Peck seems like a nice guy but wondering what goes on beneath him.

Cons

The job description did not match the job once I got in. The company resources were a joke. There was so much manual manipulation to get approximate data, I cringed at audit possibilities. Glad to go and wash my hands