Travelers Companies

Travelers Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman

Jay S. Fishman

Pros:
  • "Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Established financially strong organization with great benefits and positive atmosphere"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "Preachs work-life balance : over-demanding job"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Little advice from senior management in direction of company"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Once proud and great St Paul

Underwriter (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsErm... It is ok finding a parking space at the office and, erm.... the sandwich company that does the rounds each day sells hot soup!

ConsJoined the company when it was The St Paul in the early 2000s, at which point there was an atmosphere of creativity, encouragement and above all empowerment. Employees efforts and results were rewarded and appreciated. Along comes Travelers and.. oh dear.. Talk about dragging a once proud and great company through the muck. An underwriting unit can make as much money as you like and any excuse will be used not to reward.. Creativity is stifled due to extreme internal bureaucracy (officially termed 'collaboration'), a blame culture is well and truly present with the burgeoning and bloated management structure covering their backs 24/7. Oh, did I mention the insufferable management buzz-words and phrases bandied around the place with soviet style hypocricy such as 'leveraging our talent advantage', 'reaching out to us' and of course 'collaborative approach'. This is even before I have began to start on the recent and disasterous reorganisation. Oh dear.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees on a plain and simple level and lets make the company what it once was.

Within underwriting divisions, I can say with confidence that Travelers is one of the best companies to work for.

2vp (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIndustry-leading training program (UPDP)
Many training and development opportunities
Does a great job moving people geographically or between divisions if/when the employee desires
Values the technical aspect of the work, not just financial results (i.e. not just writing new business)
Many formal diversity and volunteerism programs, employee clubs, etc.

ConsMore rules and guidelines than some competitors, but usually for good reason

Advice to Senior ManagementSome nepotism is recognized by the general employee population, especially in the HQ location.

Great Culture not much Advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe environment and culture in our department was great, there was a perfect balance of work and life. It felt like a family and it made it difficult to leave. The work was consistent and the company doesn't like to fire people so they will find a new position for you if you need more to do. They also value go-getters so the more confident you are the better off you'll be.

ConsWith most people having been there for 5 years+ there is not much room for advancement. You can get a "senior" in front of your title but not a change in position. The benefits is alright but compared to other companies, it's not much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to manage, some people see your relaxed attitude and take advantage of it. The favoritism is obvious to everyone and sometimes they are deserved but please learn to value those who are loyal and doing great work as well.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time

ProsLeadership that values the employees.

ConsNot uncommon to be asked to give more time.

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsAdvancement through career; transition into other departments.

ConsI do not have any cons with the company

Wonderful environment for professionals of all ages

I have been working at Travelers Companies as an intern

Proseveryone is extremely kind. HR does a great job of bringing together amicable individuals.
advancement opportunities exist laterally and vertically

Consnot easy to move into actuarial dept

Advice to Senior Managementmore sensitivity with layoffs

It's been a really good company to work for until recently

Auto Appraiser (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat pay and benefits, solid company with a good reputation, good products, lots of opportunities if your work at a regional office or headquarters

ConsI'm a field employee so no opportunity for advancement, they are currently downsizing the appraisal staff, some decisions appear to be made in the interest of cost savings at the expense of employees and customers

Advice to Senior ManagementHave enough staff to deliver on your promise to the customers, don't try to operate with a super lean staff

Sound company with a healthy work environment

Director (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge organization with good P&C insurance products and sound business practices. Good work environment with employees motivated and working towards a common goal. Employee friendly policies. Strong community relations

ConsSlow to adopt new platforms and technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamlining management structure can save costs for the organization while empowering employees.

Think long and hard before considering Travelers

Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is recognized along with other major carriers. Benefits are competitive, 401k match and pto are good. Training for entry level adjusters is good.

ConsThere is a huge disconnect between senior level management and the field staff. There is a lot of busy work that provides no benefit to the customer and employees. Initiatives are constantly rolled out that are not thought through and end up getting scrapped after a few years when new management is in place. Micromanagement through numbers to the nth degree. Bonuses are extremely difficult to attain due to unrealistic goals. I have worked with two other insurance companies and was accustomed to bonuses and worked a lot less. Work life balance is non existant. Change takes a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your employees, create attainable goals, get rid of the busy work and focus on what will move the company forward. An employee survey would be a good start. At the rate things are going i cannot see the company attracting and retaining talent. So many good people have left.

Out of Touch With Their Employees - Micromanaging Bosses

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Benefits, Decent & Competitive Salaries, Company Does Encourage Lifetime Learning, Time Off Policies Are Fair, Generous Vacation Days, Ample Parking

ConsHigh Turnover, Low Morale, Best Manager in Select Was Laid Off, Don't Listen To Their Employees, Micro-managing is Rampant, Too Many Meetings, Limited Opportunities For Advancement or Bonuses, Leadership Lacking & Unprofessional, Favoritism Displayed by Management and HR Department

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Your Employees With Respect, Actually Listen To Their Feedback

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelers Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Travelers Companies CEO Jay S. Fishman. All 565 reviews are posted anonymously by Travelers Companies employees.