Travelers Companies

Travelers Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman

Jay S. Fishman

Pros
  • Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Great Benefits / Salary is at upper end for most all adjusting jobs(in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance, although they continually stress that it exists(in 27 reviews)

• Micromanage, no work life balance, ridiculous work load(in 10 reviews)

Once proud and great St Paul

Underwriter (Current Employee) London, England

ProsErm... It is ok finding a parking space at the office and, erm.... the sandwich company that does the rounds each day sells hot soup!

ConsJoined the company when it was The St Paul in the early 2000s, at which point there was an atmosphere of creativity, encouragement and above all empowerment. Employees efforts and results were rewarded and appreciated. Along comes Travelers and.. oh dear.. Talk about dragging a once proud and great company through the muck. An underwriting unit can make as much money as you like and any excuse will be used not to reward.. Creativity is stifled due to extreme internal bureaucracy (officially termed 'collaboration'), a blame culture is well and truly present with the burgeoning and bloated management structure covering their backs 24/7. Oh, did I mention the insufferable management buzz-words and phrases bandied around the place with soviet style hypocricy such as 'leveraging our talent advantage', 'reaching out to us' and of course 'collaborative approach'. This is even before I have began to start on the recent and disasterous reorganisation. Oh dear.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees on a plain and simple level and lets make the company what it once was.

Positive, collaborative, and honest work culture!

Underwriter (Current Employee)

ProsGreat leadership. Positive and supportive work culture. You become more valuable to the company with time invested! Company has great company values and helps you improve your character. Elite reputation.

ConsOffice work culture, so expect to spend quite some time on computer throughout your weekly shifts.

A great start to a career

ProsGreat environment, minimal egos in upper management. Good work life balance, and everyone is willing to help out a new hire.

ConsBesides financial incentives, no clear reason to stay long term with company. Takes many years to get any management role

Advice to Senior ManagementMinimal contact with management, but in general they seem very down to earth and helpful. Management made it a point to keep in contact with interns. Keep it up!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Telephonic Nurse Case Manager at Travelers

Telephonic Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) Franklin, TN (US)

ProsI thoroughly enjoyed working at Travelers. The salary and opportunities were excellent and the chance to help others was enjoyable.

ConsI really found no cons when I was working there. If you wanted to go for a promotion you were encouraged to do so, The office culture was one of respect of each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to treat employees with respect and remember how their jobs are since most managers worked up through the ranks to get their positions.

Very applicable work and many managers willing to help.

Summer Student (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN (US)

ProsMany people willing to help and guide early on.
    Many social activities after work.
    Very nice area in St. Paul

ConsThere is a lot of heads down work during the day where many people are plugged in not really working together so it depends on your work style if you like that independent work or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementFacilitate team oriented work

Very good experience at Travelers.

Liability Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsVery good benefits; there were opportunities for advancement; good "team" atmosphere; opportunities for professional development; was able to work independently, but management was available for assistance if needed.

ConsThere are limits to salary increases from within, even though higher salaries might be available as an outside hire.

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance is important to many; opportunities for work at home should be considered.

Great Experience

ProsAlways had something to work and was given the opportunity to work on some "above intern level" projects.

ConsI have no cons. The company really made you feel like you played an important role in its day to day operations.

Not perfect, but certainly stable environment for a career.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSupportive senior leadership. Well-respected in the community as well as within the insurance industry. Numerous advancement opportunities, especially if you're mobile.

ConsIt's a large public corporation, so at the end of the day, the company need to be run as such. Also, while not super blatant, the corporate politics play a part in enhancing or disrupting employees' opportunity to advance career-wise.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to retain top talent, particularly minorities. Company loses talented minorities usually after failing to promote them when the time is due.

Great experience over many years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTravelers is a very stable company.

ConsIt is a very large organization with many silos

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more personal growth opportunities

FMLDP Intern

FMLDP (Former Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsGreat preparation for a future career.

ConsHartford is a very boring city

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!