Travelers Companies

Updated 28 January 2015
3.4

Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman
Jay S. Fishman

Pros
  • Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great Benefits / Salary is at upper end for most all adjusting jobs (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • There is zero work/life balance with micro-management of every aspect of the job (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management says new tools are there to help but in fact cause three times more work (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Once proud and great St Paul

Current Employee - Underwriter in London, England
    Current Employee - Underwriter in London, England

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Erm... It is ok finding a parking space at the office and, erm.... the sandwich company that does the rounds each day sells hot soup!

Cons

Joined the company when it was The St Paul in the early 2000s, at which point there was an atmosphere of creativity, encouragement and above all empowerment. Employees efforts and results were rewarded and appreciated. Along comes Travelers and.. oh dear.. Talk about dragging a once proud and great company through the muck. An underwriting unit can make as much money as you like and any excuse will be used not to reward.. Creativity is stifled due to extreme internal bureaucracy (officially termed 'collaboration'), a blame culture is well and truly present with the burgeoning and bloated management structure covering their backs 24/7. Oh, did I mention the insufferable management buzz-words and phrases bandied around the place with soviet style hypocricy such as 'leveraging our talent advantage', 'reaching out to us' and of course 'collaborative approach'. This is even before I have began to start on the recent and disasterous reorganisation. Oh dear.

Talk to your employees on a plain and simple level and lets make the company what it once was.

Good people and a good career

Current Employee - Account Executive in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable employment, good people, and low stress environment make for a good place to have a long career. Pressure to produce is low and it seems that standards are low.

Cons

Travelers has the same problems as most big companies. When you are a star, it's hard to get outsize rewards and the company certainly keeps around too much dead weight.

Offer more constructive feedback. Even if it is critical.

Travelers is a hard working, stringent, productive, profitable company.

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong, winning attitude and work ethics, engaging the brightest people in the industry.

Cons

Tight and very demanding deadlines, very high expectations, very old school regarding working from home/remotely, not a lot of work life balance.

Adjust environment to be have more flexible work schedules/wfh options to help employees with families obtain a better work/life balance.

A quality Insurance company

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package with generous PTO
    Training Program
    Flexible work schedule

Cons

Corporate Structure - you have 10 bosses
    Average Salary for Insurance Company

Adapt quicker to market changes

Great company, strong brand, good people

Former Employee - Ops Leadership
    Former Employee - Ops Leadership

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Travelers is a great company to work for. The strong conservative underwriting practices keep the company in a strong financial position thereby allowing the ability to offer competitive salaries and benefits. There is a good amount of work-life balance for most positions and leadership fosters an environment of professional development.

Cons

As with most long-standing companies, it can be difficult for individuals who did not "grow up" in the culture to adapt. There is a good amount of "we know best" mentality and a need for an infusion of new leadership. Attempts at this have failed in the past because it can be difficult to adapt to the Travelers way.

Maintain a value on employees and increase innovation to be more competitive.

Great learning and developing environment

Current Employee - Risk Control Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Risk Control Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training is great, management treats employees very well, love the work-life balance.

Cons

Salary is not as high but work-life balance is great.

Cant penny pinch on everything! At least we should have coffee in the morning!

Long term employee,

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

high energy job , recent increase in hiring

Cons

over the years layoffs followed by hiring

Great place to work in IT if work/life balance is important

Current Employee - Technology Director in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Director in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generous vacation, health benefits, 401K etc. You won't make as much money as in New York or Boston but the benefits are top notch and cost of living is a bit lower than in a major city (although not that much since CT is an expensive state).

Leadership development programs here are also incredibly good and can provide great career starts. With those, career advancement is easy. Outside of the development programs, advancing might be harder as the culture is working somewhat against the company in that regard. A lot of people stay here for 20, 30, or even more years and so there's typically not that many new opportunities opening up outside of VP and higher levels.

Work atmosphere is unparalleled given what I've heard about other companies in the area. This is not a start-up and while the environment might seems as more traditional/conservative, the overall culture is that of a big family atmosphere. Internal competition with colleagues is a no-no and advancement at the expense of others will lead to a quick departure from here. Everyone is encouraged to work as one big team.

Travelers excels at work life balance with multi-week vacations after you've been here for a few years, ability to carry over vacation time, and ability to purchase more vacation time if needed. In IT, ability to work from home is also there and is available for various life events (sick, family need, snowing outside, etc.). There are people that work remote full-time but that's very limited here and most people will typically be hired to work in Hartford. That means you're expected to come in. However management is very flexible on opportunities to work from home, come late, leave early etc. if life demands. Very low stress environment overall.

Cons

Limited bonus potential and profit sharing when working in core IT and not in one of the business units. You're also located in Hartford which for folks in their 20s and 30s is not the optimal place to be given that there much better areas for young professionals close to this region (New York, Boston).

Parking is a nightmare given that most people stay here their whole life. Wait-lists for on-campus underground parking facilities (there are 4) exceed 20 years of service. All of them. Typically you would park at the Convention Center which requires a walk outside and so not optimal in bad weather. Higher positions would typically negotiate garage parking right away so would not be an issue for higher management hires.

Good Experience as BI Intern

Former Employee - BI Intern in Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - BI Intern in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Travelers Companies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was a summer intern at Travelers as a BI intern. They provided me with real work exeperience using technologies like SQL, SSIS, SSRS, along with other third party technologies. They also had a very good review process in the middle and end of the summer and I felt like I really knew where I stood as far as how they liked me work goes

Cons

There weren't too many cons while working as an intern. One thing that would have been good was to attend meeting in order to get a larger picture of what was going on with the system I was developing.

Travelers Companies Photos