Travelers Companies

Travelers Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman

Jay S. Fishman

Pros:
  • "Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Established financially strong organization with great benefits and positive atmosphere"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "Preachs work-life balance : over-demanding job"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Little advice from senior management in direction of company"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Once proud and great St Paul

Underwriter (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsErm... It is ok finding a parking space at the office and, erm.... the sandwich company that does the rounds each day sells hot soup!

ConsJoined the company when it was The St Paul in the early 2000s, at which point there was an atmosphere of creativity, encouragement and above all empowerment. Employees efforts and results were rewarded and appreciated. Along comes Travelers and.. oh dear.. Talk about dragging a once proud and great company through the muck. An underwriting unit can make as much money as you like and any excuse will be used not to reward.. Creativity is stifled due to extreme internal bureaucracy (officially termed 'collaboration'), a blame culture is well and truly present with the burgeoning and bloated management structure covering their backs 24/7. Oh, did I mention the insufferable management buzz-words and phrases bandied around the place with soviet style hypocricy such as 'leveraging our talent advantage', 'reaching out to us' and of course 'collaborative approach'. This is even before I have began to start on the recent and disasterous reorganisation. Oh dear.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees on a plain and simple level and lets make the company what it once was.

Great experience for the past 4 years

Claims Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat management
Friendly corporate culture
Annual performance review for raises
Great learning tools
Semi flexible schedule

As with all corporate companies, views on the company will significantly vary office by office. Our top performing office does not have many of the issues stated in some of these reviews.

ConsCyclical high workload
Slow to implement change due to conservative nature
Slight division between field and home office
I do not agree that all the performance metrics are relevant

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee surveys from the field will greatly increase transparency and will allow more efficient changes in workflow.

Solid company with strong integrity.

Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat C level management
Grounded in analytics
Large company - lots of benefits to choose from.

ConsSlow to adapt change
Employee reviews are complicated
Very large campus

Challenging, various opportunities for growth

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHuge company with various opportunities for growth. Each department is like its own organization. People are nice, flexible culture, accepting towards family life balance.

ConsVery little focus on training and education of employees, raises are minimal, political organization - sometimes you need to be able to learn how to navigate politically to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risks with high performing employees - let them think out of the box.

Commercial Lines

Commercial Lines (Current Employee)
Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat pay, benefits and time off. Opportunity for advancement.

ConsBeen through a few layoffs. Corporation makes a decision and doesn't think about the lives impacted.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Good but not a lot of bureaucracy and politics

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge company with a lot of opportunities to network and learn; great employee benefits beyond just insurance and 401k -- diversity networks; speakers; activities; extremely impressive executive leadership

ConsIn some areas, Travelers still has an "old boys" culture which makes it very difficult for new people to come in and make a difference -- very clickish.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to do skip level meetings to understand what is really going on. What I am beginning to realize is that if they do, that means they have to acknowledge it and actually do something about it!

Great Experience

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsAs a summer intern I was exposed to multiple ongoing projects and mentors that made coming to work everyday a true pleasure.

ConsIt's tough to get into full-time development programs unless you were hired for previous summers throughout your college breaks.

Within underwriting divisions, I can say with confidence that Travelers is one of the best companies to work for.

2vp (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIndustry-leading training program (UPDP)
Many training and development opportunities
Does a great job moving people geographically or between divisions if/when the employee desires
Values the technical aspect of the work, not just financial results (i.e. not just writing new business)
Many formal diversity and volunteerism programs, employee clubs, etc.

ConsMore rules and guidelines than some competitors, but usually for good reason

Advice to Senior ManagementSome nepotism is recognized by the general employee population, especially in the HQ location.

Great Culture not much Advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe environment and culture in our department was great, there was a perfect balance of work and life. It felt like a family and it made it difficult to leave. The work was consistent and the company doesn't like to fire people so they will find a new position for you if you need more to do. They also value go-getters so the more confident you are the better off you'll be.

ConsWith most people having been there for 5 years+ there is not much room for advancement. You can get a "senior" in front of your title but not a change in position. The benefits is alright but compared to other companies, it's not much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to manage, some people see your relaxed attitude and take advantage of it. The favoritism is obvious to everyone and sometimes they are deserved but please learn to value those who are loyal and doing great work as well.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time

ProsLeadership that values the employees.

ConsNot uncommon to be asked to give more time.

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelers Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Travelers Companies CEO Jay S. Fishman. All 574 reviews are posted anonymously by Travelers Companies employees.