TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros:
  • "benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Benefits are good, some groups work well and are collaborative"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

London office better than Newton

N/A (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsSoho Square location with roof terrace
Social committee who try to get engagement amongst people
Multi-cultural staff
Great product in marketplace

ConsNewton power struggle to maintain control across a 'global company'
Internal politics
Pathetic HR leadership in Newton
No career growth pathways

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more team work and spirit amongst employees - Newton is a morgue and london will head the same way soon too.

good place to work

SEM Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Prosgreat recognition (if working in the right team/for the right boss).
decent compensation.
good social events (drinks, parties etc).
management very approachable.

Consnot always clear who to approach/notify when things don't work.
information sharing across teams could be much improved.
company growing very fast, feels less personal than it used to

Advice to Senior Managementmake more resources available to get things done (for all teams).
ensure information is being shared across teams, improve collaboration of teams

Fast Pace, Data Driven

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you like to be at company that's winning, TA is a good place for you. The company is very data driven and is both innovating and iterating at a pace that will keep it ahead of competitors for a long time.

Pay is also competitive and there are many benefits and perks.

ConsThe pace is so fast that sometimes it can be overwhelming. Hiring can sometimes be slow which puts extra pressure on current employees.

Good company for engineers

Engineer (Current Employee)
Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor as a contractor for more than a year

ProsTripAdvisor hiring process is very selective and they hire top-notch engineers from top schools (MIT, Harvard), but TA also has no ass*e policy.
Very technical environment. The CEO has software background. It's a data driven company.
Very good perks: Free catered lunches 3 days a week, soda, snacks, pizza, gym on site, Mac laptops. Tech talks every Wednesday.
Good compensation.
Flexible hours, could work from home.
The company promotes from within.

ConsHectic environment, some people put more than 60 hours/week.
"Speed wins" mantra doesn't always work.
The communication between the teams could be improved.
Huge code base and sometimes difficult to maintain.

Great Product but Turnover is a major problem

Human Resources Mgt (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree lunches, free food and drinks almost all the time. Young, fast moving culture and a great office space, moving to an even bigger office in the future. Great product, trusted source of travel reviews, company is making money.

ConsTurnover! It seems like most of the groups are being impacted by turnover, a lot of employees have left the company for greener pastures, the performance rating process and raise %'s being very low for a company that is very profitable, seems to be the common thread. The HR team is non-existent, adds no value to the employees or senior management, and has had more turnover than any other group at Trip, even the most senior leader of HR left along with the leader of compensation. Not sure Senior Mgt knows how bad the turnover problem actually is.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a consulting firm to determine the sources for all the turnover, outsource HR until a new team can be built from the ground up. Figure out the retention issue.

It really all depends on the people you work with

I have been working at TripAdvisor

ProsGreat flexibility in schedule, good people to work with, great location and the company is making money. Benefits are good, some groups work well and are collaborative.

ConsBeing satisfied really depends on the group you work in. There are some people around the company who have been there a long time and aren't growing with the company and they are not so great to work for. They are more concerned with hiring new great talent from top schools than to cultivate the people they already have. Its extremely hard to move up or to another group if you don't have a champion. It really isn't based on merit but who you know and who likes you. You can fail at something and get promoted. Seems odd.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally disappointed that the CEO just told the world that he still runs a 2000 person company like a start up. There is a reason other companies don't do that. Maybe he should go study business.
Explore the talent you have in house rather than pursue outside talent. Grow from within because they understand what is going on and will stay loyal.

Flag Review

TripAdvisor Dir of HR responded to this review

Mar 19, 2014

Thanks for your feedback! We agree that we work with amazing people--and that we have a great culture that includes fantastic benefits, flexibility and excellent work locations. Thanks also for your ... More

Dream Job

Web Developer (Current Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

ProsExcellent team dynamics, exemplary management, free lunches, great location, flexible schedule, good family vs work balance, very high overall employee skill level, great mentorship, and last but not least, the company raison-d'etre is awesome.

ConsHarsh technical interviews, not in line with daily tasks & environment. Salary is good, but not great given the expected skill level & throughput

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great.

Innovative and fun environment!

Brand Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInnovative, social, foster teamwork. If you ask, you will receive...maybe not immediately but in time.

ConsLike I said, it takes time for ideas/projects to get approval. Little support from management so it can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities to move up within the company, or even to explore other departments.

High growth company

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros-Great benefits
-Solid work/life balance
-Good salary/bonus/stock
-Free lunch and other perks

Cons-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc)
-Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employee feedback---in all locations. Communicate how the company scales its values and processes with global growth--and really apply it to how we work in the day to day and the culture overall (in all offices). But overall, great co with a strong future.

Good atmosphere, smart people

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros- My team, and the people who manage my team, are really driven and focused. This makes work very interesting. We are encouraged to bring crazy ideas to the table and are given the go-ahead to work on these ideas.

- Work culture: Free lunches, team bonding events, casual, free beer, your co-workers can be your friends

- Data driven

- Engineers and non-engineers are given equal prominence (at least on my team)

Cons- Your managers greatly influence your experience at TripAdvisor. I am really lucky to have good managers but a lot of my other co-workers aren't

- Salary: Could be better :)

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor Videos

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All 163 reviews are posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.