TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros:
  • "benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Benefits are good, some groups work well and are collaborative"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Growing company, great leadership.

Manager (Current Employee)
Needham, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsGrowing company, great leadership. A place where stock actually matters.

ConsNot as friendly with flex time or working from home as other companies I have been at.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Nov 14, 2013

Glad to hear that you're a fan of our company and leadership--thank you! Thanks also for your feedback on flex time and working from home. We pride ourselves on having a flexible working culture and ... More

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor

ProsFun co workers, great benefits, career advancement

ConsLocation is not ideal but it's OK.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain positivity

Just okay

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

Pros1. Great working environment! Free snack and soda.
2. People are friendly and like to help each other.

Cons1. Although they said that they require people to handle both front-end and back-end, they keep giving me front-end job, no chance to touch their back-end at all! Maybe because I am just an intern.
2. My manager seems don't care about my project. He has no idea what I was doing, and even doesn't care whether I can finish it or not.
3. Seems my team doesn't care about the intern. No welcome and farewell lunch, which is unusually compared to the other team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor some managers, although we are intern, please pay a little bit attention to us!!! We are your team member, and not the air!

Nov 06, 2013

Thanks for your feedback on our internship programs. It sounds like your experience as an intern could have been improved with more exposure to the management within your teams. This is helpful ... More

Amazing

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Company moves fast and is willing to make big changes to the site
- CEO and management very much in touch with engineers
- Little red tape; responsbility lies with individual engineers
- Catered lunches, snack wall

Cons- A sink-or-swim process for new hires/interns
- Newton isn't quite the best location...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing Steve K

Very good company that takes care of employees.

Content Specialist (Current Employee)
Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

ProsGame room
Beer on tap
Friendly environment

ConsNot very accessible by public transportation

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a little more manager interaction with team.

Nov 06, 2013

Aw, thanks! We like taking care of our employees and are proud of the many perks, benefits, and amenities that we offer. Thanks also for your feedback on public transportation. While we are located ... More

The best first job I could have hoped for.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

ProsI say it's the best "first" job because by being expected to work on the full stack, and being surrounded by the most intelligent and helpful people you will ever meet, you learn a ton of software engineering skills very quickly. Also I want to note that in the time I've been here, the company has been growing quite a bit, and some of us had started getting concerned about losing some important parts of our culture, but upper management took this issue very seriously. The CEO himself set aside a lot of time to chat with us in a small group setting about specific aspects of the culture that we felt were important to maintain. I'm not sure exactly how much an hour of his time is worth in company dollars, but it absolutely solidified my company spirit. We're getting bigger, but not too big to care about the little things.

ConsThere was a time earlier this year when things got hectic. It was not a good time. I think that has passed. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.
(Then again, I suppose there are a lot of companies out there which constantly have that level of stress.)

Advice to Senior ManagementI've noticed team managers have a lot less time to spend with their actual teams, they seem overcommitted. Also, please pick one project-tracking system and stick with it. I'm losing track of all the places I have to consult for project specs and update with my status. It's a little silly.

Continued Turnover

Senior Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree snacks, free beer
Great product, solid technology

ConsSenior Mgt "strongly encouraging" current employees to write positive reviews on working at Trip. What? Isnt this how Trip makes money and depends on honest unbiased reviews?

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsource the HR dept that is unprofessional, non-confidential, and adds zero value.
Create a quarterly bonus program, that will help offset the mass exodus when employees collect their annual bonus.

Dec 04, 2013

Thanks for your review. Useful feedback like this is why we encourage all employees to check out Glassdoor and post reviews--positive and constructive. In fact, we have been actively encouraging ALL ... More

Great company culture

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly environment, great company culture that encourages personal career growth and movement within the organization.

ConsSome of the reporting tools and resources used are in house and not as robust as other companies.

Good Internship, flexible hours, small fast teams

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor

ProsGood people, lots of fun. Located in Boston which is a nice change from the software's push towards California and NYC.

ConsNot as many perks as other tech companies with which they compete for employees, fewer intern activities than desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Could be more emphasis on employee satisfaction.

sTrongGre

Content Representative (Former Employee)
Remote, OR (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong core values as a company, they really value employees. You'd be hard pressed to find better benefits. They care about their product and stay true to it.

ConsEvery job has a downside, my particular job as a remote content rep was great because it gave me flexibility in my schedule, but I found that the work was a bit repetitive and hard to do in one sitting. Not a big deal, but it's a little easy to burn out on. Great for those who need to work remotely. Pay is a little low for these positions, but again, it's nice to be remote and have flexibility.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor Videos

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All 163 reviews are posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.