TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag(in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management(in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable(in 7 reviews)

Nice company

Account Executive (Current Employee) Oxford, England

ProsThe people, they are simple amazing! Very nice office.

ConsNot carrer oportunities in another countries. All Europe, middle East and Africa is done from Oxford and London offices.

Not as good as it used to be

ProsYou get to work with really smart people. Benefits are fantastic and the company really supports charities.

ConsYour time at TripAdvisor really depends upon which department you are in, we are continuously told that we are an engineering and product company which doesn’t do much for morale if you’re not in one of those teams.
    Employees who joined the company a few years back are being left behind when it comes to salary increases and career development.
    We talk a lot about risk taking, but this doesn’t really apply when it comes to recruitment as senior roles are often open a long time and employees take advantage of the situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing employees outside engineering and product, its not just them that make the company successful.
    The Exec Team need to be more visible and communicative rather than assume they know what’s going on.
    Stop saying we’re a small company that just happens to have a lot of people – we're neither.

Good benefits but salary could be more competitive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Oxford, England

ProsYou get a great benefits package, which I never had in my previous jobs.
    Nice modern office
    Fruits and snacks for free, lunch discounts

ConsSalary is very low and changes and decisions are made without thinking and testing them first.
    Sales Agents and Account Executives have to find out on their own (or by customer complain) about changes made to site, prices or CRM messaging.
    Employees are always asked for feedback, but in the end it always goes the other way round and their opinion is not counting at all.
    No internal communication between different departments.
    Management not qualified to lead a multi billion dollar company

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the feedback give by the people on the phone, they speak with the customers and feed back what is really going on, and don't just act and than find out if it works or not.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for, but...

ProsGood benefits
    Career progression
    Relaxed atmosphere in the office

ConsFast becoming detached from clients' reality
    Too centralised from Newton
    Lack of internal communication

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time listening to your sales agent, they know their clients.

TripAdvisor Global Manager, Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Jan 23, 2014

Thanks! We’re pleased that you’re a fan of our benefits, career pathways (especially since we’ve been working on better defining these), and casual office atmosphere.
    Your feedback on communication
    ... More

Fun enough

Telesales (Current Employee) Oxford, England

Prosgood pay
    good incentives
    good staff parties

Consthe job's enjoyability decreases as the telesales team grows in size
    all the cons of any sales job
    being away from the HQ in London

Advice to Senior Management-

Not bad, but could do better

Account Manager (Current Employee) Oxford, England

ProsGood perks - healthcare, travel allowances, leisure subsidies and free fruit

ConsChaotic structure, and ongoing disconnect between project management, customer facing teams and the consumers who use their services

Advice to Senior ManagementStart seating development teams and project management teams together so that they can resolve problems on the spot and stop the culture of isolation and prioritisation that ensures that simple issues take months to resolve.

It all comes down to your manager"

Sales Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat brand, great concept and great industry to work in.

ConsMany of the managers I have come across are not qualified as 'managers' - to coach, mentor, challenge and grow their staff.

Some managers are intimidated by smart employees and deal with this by micro-managing.

Employees are not held responsible for deadlines or delivery or work.

As the company has grown, global policies have been implemented across operations, sales, pricing etc. that do not fit with specific market needs and way of working.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having favourites, don't be intimidated by smart staff below you and be proactive in managing your team members.

TripAdvisor Global Manager, Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Nov 06, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on our global policies and manager development. We recognize that we continuously need to review and iterate on our company policies to ensure that they scale as the ... More

The customer is irrelevant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsSalaries are competitive, the benefits are good, the office location in London is very central.

ConsFor a consumer brand TripAdvisor cares little about what the consumer actually wants. It is almost entirely a technology/product focused company with little insight into consumer behaviour, trends, or demands. In other words, it's all about "the click", or the short-term financial gain, as opposed to the long-term view of building a well-loved consumer brand.

They still use pop-ups - need I say more!?

Great brand, good margins, smart people

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsDynamic, fast paced, forward thinking, smart, CEO accessibility (flat org)

ConsToo centralised and sometimes too US focused

Brilliant work place

ProsI love my job and everything about the company. The benefits are very good and the offices are equipped with free drinks, food and fresh fruit.

ConsI feel too many roles and decisions are taking solely from America without taking into consideration opinions and feedback of other teams and offices around the world

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!