TripAdvisor

Updated 19 August 2014

3.7

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The great stuff is fantastic and the not so great stuff is not so great.

Former Employee - Support Function  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Support Function in Newton, MA (US)

Pros

There are some wonderful people across all the departments; very smart, engaging, passionate about their work. I genuinely looked forward to seeing my co-workers every day. Their benefits are amazing and they do a really great job of staying on top of what the competition is doing in order to attract and keep talent. They feed you great food several times a week and the snack options are free and have everything from fruit to fritos. They are incredibly generous about trying to keep their employees happy with "stuff". The CEO is incredibly generous when it comes to supporting a variety of charitable organizations.

Cons

With the exception of one or two folks, the executive team seems completely uninterested in what the "worker bees" on their teams are doing. I think in the time I was there the exec for my group spoke to me a total of 10 minutes and that was because I approached her. I never saw her walk around and check in with folks -- I recognize they are extremely busy, but how hard is it to take 15 minutes a few times a month to walk around their departments, talk to people and make them feel like having them there makes a difference? The company is not THAT big and if you are still selling yourself as a start-up then you should know the folks on your teams.
    If you want to be promoted WHO you know is far more important than WHAT you know. Being a SME in your field and working hard is great, but it probably won't get you promoted, it will just get you more work.
    I will still refer friends to certain departments or teams, but I would make sure they know the good, the bad and the ugly and let them decide for themselves whether or not they want to pursue a career at Trip.

The exec team needs to put an emphasis on something other than core engineering (or at least place as much emphasis on...) and be more thoughtful and transparent around departmental "re-organizations" that make no business sense and address needless attrition of solid performers.

Fast Pace, Data Driven

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

If you like to be at company that's winning, TA is a good place for you. The company is very data driven and is both innovating and iterating at a pace that will keep it ahead of competitors for a long time.

Pay is also competitive and there are many benefits and perks.

Cons

The pace is so fast that sometimes it can be overwhelming. Hiring can sometimes be slow which puts extra pressure on current employees.

Good company for engineers

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Newton, MA (US)

Pros

TripAdvisor hiring process is very selective and they hire top-notch engineers from top schools (MIT, Harvard), but TA also has no ass*e policy.
    Very technical environment. The CEO has software background. It's a data driven company.
    Very good perks: Free catered lunches 3 days a week, soda, snacks, pizza, gym on site, Mac laptops. Tech talks every Wednesday.
    Good compensation.
    Flexible hours, could work from home.
    The company promotes from within.

Cons

Hectic environment, some people put more than 60 hours/week.
    "Speed wins" mantra doesn't always work.
    The communication between the teams could be improved.
    Huge code base and sometimes difficult to maintain.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Product but Turnover is a major problem

Former Employee - Human Resources Mgt  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Mgt in Newton, MA (US)

Pros

Free lunches, free food and drinks almost all the time. Young, fast moving culture and a great office space, moving to an even bigger office in the future. Great product, trusted source of travel reviews, company is making money.

Cons

Turnover! It seems like most of the groups are being impacted by turnover, a lot of employees have left the company for greener pastures, the performance rating process and raise %'s being very low for a company that is very profitable, seems to be the common thread. The HR team is non-existent, adds no value to the employees or senior management, and has had more turnover than any other group at Trip, even the most senior leader of HR left along with the leader of compensation. Not sure Senior Mgt knows how bad the turnover problem actually is.

Hire a consulting firm to determine the sources for all the turnover, outsource HR until a new team can be built from the ground up. Figure out the retention issue.

It really all depends on the people you work with

Pros

Great flexibility in schedule, good people to work with, great location and the company is making money. Benefits are good, some groups work well and are collaborative.

Cons

Being satisfied really depends on the group you work in. There are some people around the company who have been there a long time and aren't growing with the company and they are not so great to work for. They are more concerned with hiring new great talent from top schools than to cultivate the people they already have. Its extremely hard to move up or to another group if you don't have a champion. It really isn't based on merit but who you know and who likes you. You can fail at something and get promoted. Seems odd.

Really disappointed that the CEO just told the world that he still runs a 2000 person company like a start up. There is a reason other companies don't do that. Maybe he should go study business.
    Explore the talent you have in house rather than pursue outside talent. Grow from within because they understand what is going on and will stay loyal.

TripAdvisor Response

Mar 19, 2014Dir of HR

Thanks for your feedback! We agree that we work with amazing people--and that we have a great culture that includes fantastic benefits, flexibility and excellent work locations. Thanks also for your ... More

Dream Job

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

Excellent team dynamics, exemplary management, free lunches, great location, flexible schedule, good family vs work balance, very high overall employee skill level, great mentorship, and last but not least, the company raison-d'etre is awesome.

Cons

Harsh technical interviews, not in line with daily tasks & environment. Salary is good, but not great given the expected skill level & throughput

Management is great.

Innovative and fun environment!

Former Employee - Brand Marketing  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Brand Marketing in Newton, MA (US)

Pros

Innovative, social, foster teamwork. If you ask, you will receive...maybe not immediately but in time.

Cons

Like I said, it takes time for ideas/projects to get approval. Little support from management so it can be difficult.

Create more opportunities to move up within the company, or even to explore other departments.

High growth company

Current Employee - Director  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA (US)

Pros

-Great benefits
    -Solid work/life balance
    -Good salary/bonus/stock
    -Free lunch and other perks

Cons

-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc)
    -Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Continue to listen to employee feedback---in all locations. Communicate how the company scales its values and processes with global growth--and really apply it to how we work in the day to day and the culture overall (in all offices). But overall, great co with a strong future.

Ruthless Corporate America

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

Pros

Compensation is good and the stock is on a tear. Good place to work if money is the motivation.

Cons

Work is not really interesting. You will work on a lot of one week tweak projects. Competitive culture. But also a culture of fear codified by a speed wins mantra. Management is cold and ruthless. Classic corporate America. The company will do well because of its ruthless attitude.

Couple of token social projects will not really hide the kind of company you really are.

TripAdvisor Response

Mar 24, 2014Dir of HR

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry that your time at TripAdvisor wasn't what you hoped it would be. We've noted your feedback on our projects and culture. Whether small or big, we believe that ... More

Good atmosphere, smart people

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Newton, MA (US)

Pros

- My team, and the people who manage my team, are really driven and focused. This makes work very interesting. We are encouraged to bring crazy ideas to the table and are given the go-ahead to work on these ideas.

- Work culture: Free lunches, team bonding events, casual, free beer, your co-workers can be your friends

- Data driven

- Engineers and non-engineers are given equal prominence (at least on my team)

Cons

- Your managers greatly influence your experience at TripAdvisor. I am really lucky to have good managers but a lot of my other co-workers aren't

- Salary: Could be better :)

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!