TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated 21 September 2014
3.7

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 16 reviews)

• Free lunch, unlimited free snacks, great italian coffee machines all over the bldg and refrigerators stocked with every drink imaginable (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Has so much potential but really needs to slap some wrists in upper management.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Cons

I agree with previous posts that poor performers are promoted due to "friendships" with management. Advancement is not based upon performance, it is based upon who you suck up to. HR is incompetent. When you reach out with an issue or a harassment case, they do everything in their power to sweep it under the rug rather than handle the situation. Those employees who do harass others are only reprimanded if they are not apart of management. If they are, forget it, everyone turns their head the other way. 360 reviews were supposed to be in effect for the past 2 years but still has not been enforced. Hoping that action would be taken if there was negative feedback. LOTS OF POLITICS

Talk to your employees! The little people, the ones putting in all the work. They have concerns and comments. Take action when something isn't right. Have an open door policy for concerns so employees have a place to go when HR won't help. When more than 8 people quit because of one manager, I would start to look at the manager and not the employees.

Large organization that still can move fast

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Great benefits, good people, fun industry

Cons

They hire big managers from large outside firms who come in and shoot first then ask questions later.

To the new guys - learn the system. It will benefit you well. To the rest - there is a lot of knowledge from within. Sometimes bottom up planning works well too. Engage with lower levels

product manager assistant/editor/product context designer

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Love traveling. Get the first-hand info of traveling tips.

Cons

Not challenging enough. Depend on the position.

Perk up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

speed wins, employees lose

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some ability to telecommute

Cons

So much focus is put on making things fast, there's little to no focus on making things good. Quality suffers and employees, especially non-engineers, get micro-managed to the point where the output goals are nearly impossible to achieve. The sales department drives too much of the agenda, and given the valuation of this company, the pay is not great.

Think hard about how important it is to make things fast. Eventually, if the quality continues to suffer, customers won't care. The review system is too easy to manipulate, and better models are beginning to emerge that will make TripAdvisor obsolete.

Great place to work if you're an engineer

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance. Smart co-workers. Can't say enough things about how awesome the engineering group is, I really loved them and would encourage any engineer to strongly consider working there.

Cons

If you're an engineer then your skills will speak for themselves and you'll be fine, but if your area of expertise is non-engineering, then company politics get in the way. Maybe every tech company is like that?

For non-engineering departments, consider peer reviews. In the case of recruiting, consider reviews by the hiring managers who interact with the recruiter.

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Content Specialist  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of great benefits, flexible schedule, relaxed work environment. TA is a company that understands the needs of your personal and family life, and is very flexible when situations arise. Exciting to work for a company that is still growing and has so much room to grow.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons.

Great Work/Life Balance in a "Speed Wins" Environment

Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment is very collaborative and enjoyable. The company truly cares about their employees and offers great benefits. Everyone at this company is incredibly smart and you will learn something new from your peers every day. Things move very fast at TripAdvisor as the company still tries to keep its "start-up like feel" even though it is well beyond that point. Despite the "Speed Wins" Motto, this company promotes a great work-life balance and encourages its employees to travel and have fun.

Cons

If you are looking to grow laterally or switch tracks within the company it can be harder to do than at other companies. They offer classes in other areas to encourage their employees to grow, but in terms of making an actual title/role switch it seems hard to do.

The great stuff is fantastic and the not so great stuff is not so great.

Former Employee - Support Function  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Support Function in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some wonderful people across all the departments; very smart, engaging, passionate about their work. I genuinely looked forward to seeing my co-workers every day. Their benefits are amazing and they do a really great job of staying on top of what the competition is doing in order to attract and keep talent. They feed you great food several times a week and the snack options are free and have everything from fruit to fritos. They are incredibly generous about trying to keep their employees happy with "stuff". The CEO is incredibly generous when it comes to supporting a variety of charitable organizations.

Cons

With the exception of one or two folks, the executive team seems completely uninterested in what the "worker bees" on their teams are doing. I think in the time I was there the exec for my group spoke to me a total of 10 minutes and that was because I approached her. I never saw her walk around and check in with folks -- I recognize they are extremely busy, but how hard is it to take 15 minutes a few times a month to walk around their departments, talk to people and make them feel like having them there makes a difference? The company is not THAT big and if you are still selling yourself as a start-up then you should know the folks on your teams.
    If you want to be promoted WHO you know is far more important than WHAT you know. Being a SME in your field and working hard is great, but it probably won't get you promoted, it will just get you more work.
    I will still refer friends to certain departments or teams, but I would make sure they know the good, the bad and the ugly and let them decide for themselves whether or not they want to pursue a career at Trip.

The exec team needs to put an emphasis on something other than core engineering (or at least place as much emphasis on...) and be more thoughtful and transparent around departmental "re-organizations" that make no business sense and address needless attrition of solid performers.

Fast Pace, Data Driven

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like to be at company that's winning, TA is a good place for you. The company is very data driven and is both innovating and iterating at a pace that will keep it ahead of competitors for a long time.

Pay is also competitive and there are many benefits and perks.

Cons

The pace is so fast that sometimes it can be overwhelming. Hiring can sometimes be slow which puts extra pressure on current employees.

Good company for engineers

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

TripAdvisor hiring process is very selective and they hire top-notch engineers from top schools (MIT, Harvard), but TA also has no ass*e policy.
    Very technical environment. The CEO has software background. It's a data driven company.
    Very good perks: Free catered lunches 3 days a week, soda, snacks, pizza, gym on site, Mac laptops. Tech talks every Wednesday.
    Good compensation.
    Flexible hours, could work from home.
    The company promotes from within.

Cons

Hectic environment, some people put more than 60 hours/week.
    "Speed wins" mantra doesn't always work.
    The communication between the teams could be improved.
    Huge code base and sometimes difficult to maintain.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!