TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated 12 April 2015
228 reviews filtered by

Misleading and Disingenuous, worker mill...

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lunch severed 3 days a week
    Snack bar with drinks
    Direct manager is pretty opened to work from home if needed

Cons

Where to begin. This is not a rant it is fact of what happened to me and others. They are very disingenuous during the hiring process. you are offered all these promises in the offer letter if you meet the goals. Your director and direct manager gives you a rave review and tells you that you are an exemplary employee and you have met and exceeded your goals and you are set for full bonus and salary increase this year. Then comes to actual salary increase of 0% and a tenth of the bonus promised in your offer letter. I was told this happens to everyone their first year, I had to ask, did I hear that right? yes I did. very disappointing when one leaves a very good job to come to TripAdvisor in hopes of bettering them selves and then they are lied to during the interview process and in the offer letter. the praise does not justify the raise (or lack of) In good conscience I could not recommend this company for employment. There is a very high turn over here as the work life experience isn't great and the treatment of workers in-regards to compensation. I worked weeks away from my family and 15 to 17 hour days building this company out, and there was no thanks. My direct manager and Director were great but at the VP level i believe they are out of touch and don't allow the lower management to have any intercourse in the compensation benefits other than rating their subordinates. Also it is hard to get anything done as the upper management in my group manages by intimidation, everyone has their management style but in this case it makes lower management overly nervous to take acceptable risk in doing the job. Some may say that this is my experience only but, please read other reviews, I am absolutely sure you will find others just like this, along with some good reviews. For a college hire this may be a good fit and jumping block but for a highly skilled professional like me it was literally a slap in the face and insult. I can understand a low salary increase or bonus if the company was doing bad but, TripAdvisor is doing great.

Advice to Management

Middle management should be removed and replaced. Follow through on your promises of compensation and bonus and do not deceive new hires.

I wish I could turn back time. This used to be a great place to work for

Current Employee - Telesales in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Telesales in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are great benefits to working for TripAdvisor: Great benefits like, free food 3 times a week, company shuttle to the T, so if you are like me and need to take public transportation this is huge, free health insurance, company events in the summer, typical big company perks. And throughout my time here I've met so many smart and talented people.

Cons

2 years ago this used to be a great place to work for. People were happy and were making money, especially if this was your first sales job. Last year it seems like everything just fell apart. If you have worked in Sales, DO NOT work her! No matter how hard you try, or how good you are, you will NOT be compensated. Their compensation plan is a complete JOKE. Less than 18% of their sales floor hit their quota and the goal is unrealistic and over-inflated.

I would advise those who are ambitious, intelligent and go-getters not to work for this company, as a Sales Rep. For the graduates, there is not any well structured compensation plan and there are consistent brick walls. The culture is strong and they make you believe it is the greatest place ever but it is not. In reality, the sales department is a shambles and is only successful off the other products that they offer.

The product hasn't changed in ages, but prices change every few months, so the sales reps and customers are confused and don't believe in it anymore. I have to admit that I have seen people getting promoted here, but almost all of them are either gone or looking for jobs. There's no job security anymore and everyone is afraid of losing their jobs, while managers pretend that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and are always having non-sense meetings trying to boast people's morale. The reality is no one makes money, the managers don't know what they are doing and they lack experience. Total broken attitudes of pointing fingers at employees a total management failure; it's despicable!

TURNOVER RATE IS OUTRAGEOUS* [for a reason!] It's sad because TripAdvisor was a once fantastic company that is collapsing quickly.

Again, this review is solely based on the sales department. I know many people from other positions who seem to be happy there. Who knows?

Advice to Management

Stop blaming your staff for your failures. Have Dara Khosrowshahi train your CEO for a month and teach you some sales techniques.
    Don't pride yourself when your staff quits, look at yourself and see where the problem comes from. So many good talent are walking right out the door.

have seen trip advisor go from excellent to worst in 3 years

Former Employee - Business Listing Sales in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Business Listing Sales in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good office space and good benefits

Cons

Horrible structure of management in Business listings APAC, the new changed management are very money minded bosses, All the good people and excellent sales people who had passion for trip advisor culture and org. left. The management is currently making this place like a call centre. Lot of dirty politics to climb the ladder. your performance metrics is a secret and you barely have promotions or increment in the business listings department. The decisions are very sudden and you may be asked to leave suddenly. People of higher leadership are asked to report to newbies with lower rank. The management also docent distinguish your effort and penetration to emerging markets what they see is money. when you give low value leads to sales people of course the sale volume will be low. You are not allowed to be creative or create your own customer base, you will have to work on the list they provide. Very unprofessional and no career growth. Have seen 8 people leave in 2 weeks. Sad Situation and hope the management realises that when you value you staff then the staff values you as well.

Advice to Management

respect your employees and take feed back as they face the market every day. by doubling targets to fill your pockets is not doing any good. respect your employees and you will get back the respect and result. stop treating your employees like trash.

Used to have a great culture

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-- Coworkers are very intelligent
    -- Flexible work schedule
    -- Standard perks -- beer and wine at happy hour, foosball table and video games, food all the time
    -- About to move into a giant new headquarters

Cons

-- Engineering culture has become very fragmented. In the years since I started, the social community has faded and it's harder to connect with engineers outside of your team.
    -- It's harder than it should be to switch teams, and hard to figure out how to advance your career.

Advice to Management

Do more to promote community among the engineering teams. Teams feel more isolated and less cooperative than they used to. Maybe provide mentors for new employees to introduce them to the culture and help them make connections to the established personalities -- it's very hard to get on the good projects or advance within the company without those connections.

A good Place to start

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and a strong salary even for entry level positions. The free lunch 3-4 times a week is good plus the unlimited snacks and drinks. A nitpick here is that they tend to restock the drinks nobody likes and cycle out the ones that I like and are gone.

Developing is fast paced and changes can be shown to others very quickly after completion. This is a full stack development which allows for all engineers make their own design decisions for the implementation. There is good communication with the product managers which allows the engineer to give a fair amount of input.

The people at the company are awesome. The culture tends to be laid back in the teams and the environment promotes asking other engineers for help on difficult sections.

There are a bunch of training classes for spoken languages and other trainings. However they are not easily accessible or I never felt that they were easy to seek out. It would be better if fewer were offered at a time and have a visible place to access and sign up. There is some support for this but it could be better.

There are plenty of things to do at the office, including video games, board games and a foosball table. But aside from the foosball table, these get rarely used if at all.

Cons

Mobility within the company is difficult. In order to switch teams or offices you need to be excellent at your current position. The culture for this is one of blame. Bugs you introduce are tracked and remembered indefinitely. These all detract from the excellent rating. This is a serious problem, if you are placed on a product that doesn't interest you, it is difficult to excel and switch to another part.

Work life balance is not the greatest. Engineers are advised that 40 hours is the minimum, and working beyond that is a good way to show their exceptional work.

The code base is not in the best state. Code is often copied and pasted which leads to errors or outdated code permeating the entire website. Encapsulation is not very well achieved because of this. Similarily the opposite can occur, where several different ways of doing the same thing are implemented as part of different projects which introduces inconsistencies. Code is rarely cleaned up, however there seems to be a push to do more cleanup projects.

Advice to Management

Give measurable goals and expectations for the employees. Give career advancement classes to the non managers and give incentives to do so. Promote a better culture where non-engineering tasks can be accomplished. This can be done by giving recommended break times or moving the entertainement stuff to a more accessible area.

Excellent to Good to Bad and worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

1- Great colleagues,
    2- Great office environment,
    3- Great HR incentives
    4- Not too bad pantry + great food / fruits and drinks galore

Cons

1- Imagine Boeing Factory securing an order for a 100+ fleet of new planes. Engineers are in placed, more engineers over hire to cope with the huge order. A structured production and QC process in place but where are the materials? Yet the company berates the workers for not working hard enough in producing the planes
    2- Fantasy vs reality: Management is not in tuned with the exact real challenges faced on the ground
    3- Too much fancy footwork dancing to a traditional folklore music tun turning it into a freakshow
    4- Changes ad-hoc and to the fancy and whims of the upper management
    5- Poor transparency and communication
    6- Biasness all around depending on the bosses you work for. Inconsistency in measuring staff and performance
    7- Company too complacent believing they are the one and only, best of the crop and clients should and will buy from them

Advice to Management

Wake up seriously before everything gets destroyed

8. Amazing community and work atmosphere

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Great office culture with free lunches, snacks, and activities. Everyone seems happy to be at work and excited to be there.

Cons

Communication between departments can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep on talking with your employees and focusing on the amazing culture

Great

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Great company. I had the chance to work with great people and a chance to meet some great people. I recommend it to those looking for a start!

Cons

I do not think the growth was very rapid in terms of moving up in employment. It is a great place to start, but I will not be here for 10 plus years.

10. TripAdvisor among the best in tech

Former Employee - Email Marketing Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Email Marketing Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is highly valued and actually achieved, unlike many tech companies who talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

Cons

Upward growth potential, no career track per se.

Advice to Management

Keep including us in your plans and share the successes and failings openly, as is already being done.

11. Good company

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Nice benefits and salary
    They have nice working environment
    Everyone is friendly

Cons

There is nothing negative about this company