TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated 14 September 2014
3.8

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

High growth company

Current Employee - Director  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great benefits
    -Solid work/life balance
    -Good salary/bonus/stock
    -Free lunch and other perks

Cons

-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc)
    -Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Continue to listen to employee feedback---in all locations. Communicate how the company scales its values and processes with global growth--and really apply it to how we work in the day to day and the culture overall (in all offices). But overall, great co with a strong future.

Ruthless Corporate America

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation is good and the stock is on a tear. Good place to work if money is the motivation.

Cons

Work is not really interesting. You will work on a lot of one week tweak projects. Competitive culture. But also a culture of fear codified by a speed wins mantra. Management is cold and ruthless. Classic corporate America. The company will do well because of its ruthless attitude.

Couple of token social projects will not really hide the kind of company you really are.

Mar 24, 2014Dir of HR

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry that your time at TripAdvisor wasn't what you hoped it would be. We've noted your feedback on our projects and culture. Whether small or big, we believe that ... More

Good atmosphere, smart people

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- My team, and the people who manage my team, are really driven and focused. This makes work very interesting. We are encouraged to bring crazy ideas to the table and are given the go-ahead to work on these ideas.

- Work culture: Free lunches, team bonding events, casual, free beer, your co-workers can be your friends

- Data driven

- Engineers and non-engineers are given equal prominence (at least on my team)

Cons

- Your managers greatly influence your experience at TripAdvisor. I am really lucky to have good managers but a lot of my other co-workers aren't

- Salary: Could be better :)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Super corporate atmosphere run at the top by power hungry close minded individuals

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the common people at the company

Cons

upper management is pretty awful and only getting worse since they have globalized

encourage ideas and remember what got you there

Mar 19, 2014Dir of HR

Thank you for your feedback--we're sorry that your experience at TripAdvisor isn't currently what you want it to be. Your feedback is very useful as we continue to focus on growing our culture and ... More

Quickly evolving company

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of smart people and perks

Cons

Salaries for non-engineers are no longer competitive

not good enough

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

it provides convenience for employees because it offers lunch 3 days a week. And other company wide benefits are good.

Cons

the team started to get messy since a management restructure last July. A guy came in and became VP of this global team. He's quite biased and unprofessional. He brought a group of his people to combine to this global team. and he only valued those who he worked with for a long time. He didn't and never respected others' ideas and efforts and hard work. I am so so glad that I made the decision to leave there because I felt that I wouldn't have any career advancement if I stayed for 1 more day/month/year. Besides, people on this team kept leaving, mostly in newton location. people on London and Singapore side both complain communication issues a lot.

go to some online/ffline management classes to learn to be more professional.

Jan 23, 2014Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. As we continue to grow, we know that sometimes transitions like this can be challenging for existing team members. And, we welcome feedback to help us better manage similar ... More

if you work in a team with good managers then it's great company; if not...

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

good benefits, provided lunches, sponsored great parties, lots of employee support.

Cons

it's absolutely true that who manage your team 99% decides your life at this company. If you are lucky to be in a team with good, experienced managers who know how to reward and respect employees' work, then you are happy; If you are unfortunately fall in a team that the managers are unprofessional, then you are miserable. It was so funny that my team went through a series of org change and the managers are new to the team. Since they took over, people kept leaving. What they did accordingly was to hide as much as possible the news of people leaving, instead of clearly and openly talking to current employees. And once i told that i wanted to quit, the vice president of the team stopped talking to me, pretending that i was not in existence any more. This is not mature and unprofessional and selfish and silly.

Dec 05, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We agree that your manager hugely impacts how you feel about your job and the company overall. Given this, as we noted in an earlier response, we've worked on improving our ... More

Financially rewarding, but not a lot of fun.

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

The company continues to grow and has products that put it ahead of the curve in the travel space. It continues to innovate and diversify it's products and has placed itself in a position to continue to do well.

Compensation and benefits/perks can be very good.

Cons

It can be a very political environment, you need to have relationships with the right people to succeed in the long term. Often management is not concerned with how things are done, just that they get done. This trickles down the chain and employees are often viewed as resources to achieve a goal regardless of the impact to them. In many groups you either sink or swim and if you sink you can get thrown under the bus and can become the scape goat for a unsuccessful project or initiative.

I also agree with a previous reviewer that noted that TripAdvisor is keenly aware of glassdoor reviews and strongly encourages current successful employees (those that just got promoted, had a good experience, etc) to write positive reviews on working at Trip. While there may be nothing technically wrong with this, the approach seems odd for a company based on unbiased reviews.

Dec 05, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. We're thrilled that you found TripAdvisor financially rewarding. We're also pleased that you think we build cool products that are ahead of the curve--we think so too! We're ... More

Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Free snacks
    - Helpful and friendly people
    - Huge data
    - Learn a lot of tools

Cons

- Not many work to do.
    - Lack of motivation.

Never the same day twice; always a new challenge.

Current Employee - Director  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

TA employees are encouraged to get things done; speed wins. Our CEO acknowledges in moving quickly, we'll break s---t, but we'll fix it the next time around and be better for doing so. Everyone is smart, motivated, and wants to help each other. Lots of perks and it's clear that the executive team cares about its employees. Seems like a great place to grow your career, skills and earn a competitive salary doing so.

Cons

Poor internal tools and infrastructure to manage so many moving parts. While there are initiatives to improve this, it can be a bit frustrating to get on board and hit the ground running without spending time on things already asked and answered.

Nov 14, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

We're proud of our smart, motivated, and helpful employees---and agree that we offer excellent career development to grow your career (with competitive salaries and benefits!) We're also glad that ... More

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!