TxDOT

www.dot.state.tx.us

TxDOT Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
TxDOT – Austin – “Learning to inspect bridge decks”

Government job

Engineering Tech (Current Employee) Laredo, TX (US)

ProsYou will never get laid off
    Secure
    Stable
    Little to to pressure, ever

ConsMinimal pay in engineering, minimal

Great career choice! Although, in the last decade there has been a decline in employee morale.

Engineering Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsTypically a very stable and satisfying place to work. Given the American corporate culture of today, it is still better to serve in State Government.

ConsConstant change created by the legislative political environment weighs heavy on employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, you have an enormous customer base to keep satisfied. Remember, it cannot all be run from the top...allow the districts to share the decision making.

Good summer internship for early in college

Engineering Tech (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay for a summer job
    Great people
    Experience viewing sites and production facilities
    Relaxed environment

Cons"Good enough for government work"
    Pay rate doesn't match private industry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing in recognition of diligence, respect and lack of advancement in salary raises.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsWorking with the public to help them get answers to their questions and action for their needs when something needs attention on the 80,000 miles of roads maintained.

ConsA great deal of favoritism and cronyism exists while favorites are recognized and advanced and concern for other employees is practically nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate equality of pay for equal work among employees and to encourage supervisors to be more fair and even-handed.

Favoritism, nepotism, engineer-centrism, and to a lesser degree, tenure, are the names of the game here.

Lab Personnel (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThey do have good health benefit, sick leave, and vacation leave days.

ConsIf you are not an engineer, part of the "good ol' boys or GIRLS club, or related (PROTECTED) by a person in an upper position, you can forget about moving up. TxDOT has the mentality that being an engineer means you can also MANAGE people which is obviously (go ahead and ask any younger to middle-aged NON-engineer and ask them if that's true) not reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wouldn't listen anyway.

Summer Hire

Engineer Tech (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsGreat projects to work on
    Experience within how TxDOT works, this can be really helpful as a private consultant
    Job security

ConsFelt like a really antiquated work environment
    Pay isn't as good as private sector

It was a pleasure working at TXDOT

Intern (Former Employee) Pharr, TX (US)

ProsGood pay for starting/entry level workers, nice pay for experience workers, preferably engineers and professionals...They have great compensation and benefits for employees and even entry level workers...Have the option of working inside and outside...high standards

Consnot great pay for human resources people, and people that run the backbone....Dealt with rough relations with other employees...One time I received a threatening letter from a former employee, but he was not in the right mind, and so that is what my supervisor advised me to say and remember

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to supervise staff more, make sure they are working...Handle workers more efficiently

TxDOT has been a good place to work for over 20 years.

Special Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Mesquite, TX (US)

ProsOpportunities for growth for those who work hard. Relaxed atmosphere and easy to balance work with family. Great paid holidays.

ConsAgency is undergoing major change so morale is low. Benefits have dwindled over the years. Technology is antiquated. Pay can be low for new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communication open. Employees want to know what to expect.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Things have changed in the IT division

IT Division (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsMost of the coworkers helpful, friendly.
    On site cafeteria
    Park like areas outside under trees

ConsCan be a little like "Lord of the Flies"
    Branch Managers can be vindictive, lack leadership qualities
    Pay was low, now it's worse

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not live by the golden rule. Huge pay increases for you, employees get our jobs cut. We all work hard and to outsource us ostensibly to save money conflicts with the huge salaries you men are making. We are taking a pay cut and our employment with the state has been cut, while other (current) state employees get raises. Think about what that does to morale and motivation.

Teenagers in charge

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsVacation time, medical, steady job hours

ConsMicro managing. Managers don't care what's going on as long as the leads do work

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen your leads better.

Worked for TxDOT? Contribute to the Community!