UCLA

Updated 31 January 2015
3.9

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • Work-life balance was great -- rarely had to stay long hours (in 23 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Income for graduate student can be unstable, depending on how well your PI manage to get funding (in 20 reviews)

• Budget cuts and draconian restructuring methods on the horizon are only making these problems worse (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work in education

Current Employee - Research Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Research Associate in London, England

I have been working at UCLA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exciting place work in education

Cons

Hard Work work in education

Well done work in education

I recommend UCLA for its large work flexible life

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is extremely flexible. You can walk to the Gym on-campus and exercise. Or run around Beverly Hills (around campus). I work with scientist that are from all around the globe: every corner of all continents. I work with top professors recognized nationally and internationally and even with Nobel Laureates. My hours are VERY flexible. Due that my pay is salaried, I come and go as I please as long as my work is done. I usually walk into the lab at 10am.

Cons

It is not well paid. However, this complain cannot really be a complain given the amount of work that I actually do. If I can say something bad about UCLA science community is the pay to post-doctorates. These people have BRILLIANT minds and get paid less than I do.

There should be incentives to hard working post docs and SRA's. We work hard!

Surrounded by great people at work

I worked at UCLA as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good support from colleagues, great training, excellent office culture, amazing libraries, vibrant, intelligent and ever eager to learn students. I enjoyed my 3 years of teaching.

Cons

Really not much. It take a long time to create lesson plans but that is true for any teaching position. long hours grading papers. ample food choices all around the university. I wish the parking was not expensive.

Good place to work

I have been working at UCLA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- You become very close to the students, who often depend on you when professor is unavailable.

Cons

- Used as cheap teaching labor by your department.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at UCLA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Become close with students

Cons

- Not paid highly enough.

Pay TAs more.

UCLA Access Control is okay

Former Employee - UCLA Access Control in Westwood, CA (US)
    Former Employee - UCLA Access Control in Westwood, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of free time to study as a student
    Flexible

Cons

Disruptive scheduling (e.g. having to stay up late & messing up circadian rhythm)

Amazing teaching experience to students with little/no research background

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Very flexible curriculum (it depends on which faculties were invited for the research seminar).
    Opportunity to teach how to think through deconstructing the faculty talk, rather than giving them factual informations.
    Rewarding experience; students' intellectual growths is clearly visible.

Cons

Lecture materials are not recyclable; curriculum is completely dependent on the research topic of the faculties.
    The faculty's research topic can be outside of your field (broad knowledge in biomedical sciences would be very helpful).

A good place to get involved in most recent active research areas.

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Active in different areas of engineering with lots of up to date lectures, seminars and talks. Great relation with industry with often sessions to introduce world leading companies along with per quarter career fairs for finding new internship or job opportunities.

Cons

not quiet easy to get in to it as there is a high competition for that.

Great research environment.

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in UCLA, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in UCLA, CA (US)

I have been working at UCLA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

UCLA is a rising star right now in my academic area. There's lots of activity, and good career placement when you move on. Lots of cool out-of town visitors.

Cons

Long hours and very demanding work, as expected. Living LA is also kind of a pain to me because of the traffic and the fact very large number of people.

You're doing great by leaving the graduate students to do their work.

Anesthesiology resident

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Lots of interesting and challenging cases. The attendings follow policy and rules to protect resident learning. You rotate at various hospital and one private practice setting to see a variety of practice styles. As a team captain in your senior year you have the opportunity to increase you understanding of how the operating room triage system works, evaluate trauma cases coming through the ER, intubate patients on the floor, manage the PACU at night, get cases started on short notice while supervising junior residents, and help coordinate the operating room setting at night and on weekends with attending supervision/backup. I feel that has been an invaluable experience.

Cons

Some weeks you work a lot (80hours) but overall you work ~60-65 hours/week. They very carefully follow ACGME rules and require you to keep detailed logs. Some attendings teach more than others but overall I think the intraoperative teaching is good and relevant to the case you are doing. The program is big and the sites are multiple so you won't feel like you know your attendings or that they know you until that last 2 years. The focus leans more to independent study because people are at various sites. It is hard to coordinate equal learning and quality didactics for all residents with the call schedules and location changes. There are no "education days" like other places have. You really have to study and take initiative on your own. The class is too big for hand-holding. If you don't take initiative, you won't be noticed or have your potential recognized like you would at a smaller program. Less warm-fuzzies and more business-like atmosphere.

The mentor program is a useless checklist. The mentors are not actually useful or seem to care about each resident individually, just something they are required to do to keep you on track to graduate.