UPS

3.5
3,145 Reviews

UPS Chief Executive Officer David Abney
David Abney

Pros
  • Part-time supervisor position is helpful due to possible tuition reimbursement (in 248 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 94 reviews)

• part-time but sometimes you only work for an 1 hour which total waist of time (in 169 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience!

Former Employee - Territory Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in London, England

I worked at UPS

Pros

Good management, promotion prospects, work environment.

Cons

Lack of information about management.

Only for the thick skinned

Former Employee - Package Car Driver in Barking, London, England
    Former Employee - Package Car Driver in Barking, London, England

I worked at UPS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good colleagues
    Decent discounts and benefits

Cons

Extremely poor and unreasonable management
    Longer hours than necessary
    Unrealistic expectations

Listen to your staff especially drivers.
    Don't abuse your position

Great job, if you can hack it...

Current Employee - Pre-loader in Tamworth, England
    Current Employee - Pre-loader in Tamworth, England

I have been working at UPS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great money! £9.07 an hour on a temp contract with a pay increase to ~£14/h after first three months.

Great hours! I'm on the 3:30 -7:30 shift in the morning, which in practice is more like 3 - 8, and providing you don't mind the early hours it's great!

Great workout! The 4 hours of heavy lifting combined with my circa 4 mile bike ride each way every day means I'm getting fitter by the day! No need for that gym membership anymore!

Great People! So far everyone is friendly, and even when things get tough and your supervisor starts shouting at you (It can happen during the really bad days) you know it's never meant maliciously. You might get thrown in at the deep end like I did when I first started, especially if they're several people short, but you are praised for hard work. =)

From what I hear there are plenty of opportunities to further your career at UPS, evidenced from people I have spoken to!

Cons

Can be quite daunting during your first few weeks. The way out is especially scary because they have tighter security than at the airport! X-ray scanners, metal detectors, you name it! Understandable of course, but still...

The system used (On pre-load anyway) is utter rubbish. They force all the parcels down the belt at you like there's going to be some sort of famine and take no care if you get buried under a pile of parcels.

Even if you are the most caring person in the world you will eventually stop giving a crap about handling parcels carefully. Everyone chucks and tosses things about. Okay, maybe the obviously fragile stuff they wont, but little parcels are just thrown willy nilly.

Rather than having all the parcels for pre-load forced on the pre-loaders in a 'push' system, have a 'pull' system where the workers get more parcels as they need them. Better yet, sort the parcels out beforehand onto trolleys so all the parcels for a particular van are on one trolley, so the pre-loader knows what needs to go in and isn't spending 4 hours trying to find room for stuff.

More communication between the van drivers and pre-loaders is needed. I spent a shift putting parcels into one van as per the guide I was given and when the driver turned up he made me take half of them out and put them in a different van because the drivers had a different delivery system to what was on paper! Very frustrating!

My overall experience at UPS was positive.

I worked at UPS part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

UPS hires from within. If interested to work as a driver, get a job as a warehouse operative and later apply for a job as a driver.

Cons

Unfortunately, most of the positions available are driver positions. There are not many other options.

good

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Derby, England
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Derby, England

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits, pension and salary. with job security

Cons

Can be tough culture, but for those willing can be good promotion prospects

can be unsocial hours

Good

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in London, England
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in London, England

I worked at UPS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

flexibility , good team and understanding team leader

Cons

management improvement will good and easy going manager

n/a

A steep learning curve

Current Employee - Trainer in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Trainer in Sheffield, England

I have been working at UPS full-time

Pros

Good salary and good benefits.

Cons

None. A good place to work

Dishonest Management

Former Employee - Supervisor in Dewsbury, England
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Dewsbury, England

I worked at UPS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Reasonably well paid for the industry, but you will have to put in the hours to earn it.

Cons

Hypocritical Managers. Company policies are not followed, all in the name of profit. Bullying is rife, from the highest managers downwards. Dishonesty is the best way forwards. If you go by the book, don't expect to progress

You have a policy book, use it. You have a code of business conduct, use it. Be honest.

Great place to work, but work you must

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, England

I worked at UPS

Pros

strong brand, good reputation, reliable service, reasonably well paid

Cons

long hours and a never ending supply of admin

trust your people to do their job without analysis paralysis

UPS - A Place To Work!

Current Employee - Administration in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Administration in Nottingham, England

I have been working at UPS

Pros

job security, christmas chocolate box! competetive salary based on similar jobs in the local area. holiday allowance is good, in own department always willing to be flexible. fairly relaxed working day within own department. recognition scheme works well in general even though it is just a token gesture. open door policy works but getting results is a different matter

Cons

lack of promotion based on merit and actual ability, management team selected on basis of who you know and not what you know, cliquey atmosphere. not interested in helping employees reach their potential. working environment could be better, cramped office space, bad building maintainence. inability to apply its own policies.

listen to employees more, sometimes they have good ideas, we are educated people who can think you know! look at the yearly ERI, this should tell you what is happening!