US Coast Guard Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
Updated 18 September 2014
4.1

US Coast Guard Commandant of the Coast Guard Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.
Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Pros
  • Free training, steady pay and benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits, ethical work force, and the APO division is very well administered (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Generally spend great amount of time away from family (in 12 reviews)

• Inherent in the missions is the likelihood of time away from home for stretches of a few weeks or even months (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Career Builder

Former Employee - Regulatory Compliance  in  Morgan City, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Regulatory Compliance in Morgan City, LA (US)

I worked at US Coast Guard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some of the best practical experience available anywhere while networking with top professionals. Great access to training that will further knowledge skills!

Cons

Lower wages and longer hours than industry counterparts.

To increase personnel retention, consider revising military pay scales.

Great Organization with many possibilities

I worked at US Coast Guard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a military service that directly impacts fellow Americans mostly off US Coasts. It has all the benefits of DOD plus your training is utilized daily conducting or supporting multiple missions not just preparing for unfortunate threats abroad.

Cons

Constant transfers regardless of performance and the job list to pick from is more of a wish list. Your happy if you get the 2, 3, or 4 year assignment in the geographic area of interest. If not, tough it out until the next transfer or your contract is fulfilled.

Positive

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent pay and exelent benefits.

Cons

The lack of geographic stability.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experiences in a wide variety of locations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastic people, opportunities to see the country, a challenging and dynamic work environment, ability to make a first hand impact on people's daily lives

Cons

Family instability with long hours, required moves every 2-4 years and sometimes unpredictable work schedule; longs office hours during certain times of the year to meet reporting requirements; around 20 years of service job opportunities significantly decrease

This is the best professional decision I've made in my life!

Current Employee - Pretty Important Person  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Pretty Important Person in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stability, medical, dental, honest work, training, roof over my head, travel the world, opportunity to save live, help protect the environment, and be apart of something average people couldn't understand.

Cons

Your at the governments beckon call, often people or supervisors are rewarded for being jerks, and more often than not, your risking your life every single day. We could be always payed more cash.

Do away with commissioned officers (academy and OCS grads). More often than not the enlisted work force has more college under their belt than officers unlike in the early years, officers had schooling and were groomed to be leaders. Utilize the enlisted ranks to advance and allow the Warrant Officers and the senior enlisted (Master Chiefs and Senior Chiefs) to run the Coast Guard. I feel the Coast Guard will run more efficient, safer, and a higher degree of effectiveness would be achieved. Also, we should be exempt from paying federal taxes because it is the very taxes we pay that get turned around to pay our own salaries. It doesn't equal a win, we actually lose more than the average person besides, we volunteer to provide the cloak of freedom that this country and it's people live under every day of their life.

Great Job

Current Employee - Military  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Military in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My experiences have been very favorable. The reason I am leasing is to pursue another career route.

Cons

A downside is it didn't have a easy path to the career field that I wanted

Leaders- Lead your people and set an example. Do not let the power go to your head. Learn from those below you.

Great uniform culture

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid fairly well for a federal goverment career. Opportunities for advancement are plentiful as the skillset of the jobis transferrable to many other fed agencies.

Cons

Salary non-negotiable (which is expected for a fed position but not the case everwhere). You are better heard if you are actually in-service, though the discrimination is not horrible it does exist.

Develop a better training program for incoming employees, especially considering the service members are rotated so oftena nd much knowledge is lost.

Contract inspections for civil engineering projects along west coast

Former Employee - Contracting Officers Representative  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Contracting Officers Representative in Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at US Coast Guard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Diversity of projects which made work interesting, fun and you were always learning.

Cons

They amount of computer problems in the field and if you couldn't get connected you had to wait until you got back to the station. Whens things were going well the upper administration would try and reinvent the wheel.

Enjoyed working with them but yearly manditory training was getting old.

Brief stint as an officer

Former Employee - Lieutenant Junior Grade  in  Honolulu, HI (US)
    Former Employee - Lieutenant Junior Grade in Honolulu, HI (US)

I worked at US Coast Guard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tons of training and networking for professional development. Work-life balance is generally good. Lots of responsibility given to those of lower rank.

Cons

Sometimes you may have an overbearing supervisor. Commandants are constantly changing the direction of the Coast Guard. You don't get a lot of input in a rank based system.

Listen to the workforce and use that in policy/decision making.

Junior Officer working at Command Control Communications Engineering Center (C3CEN)

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Portsmouth, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portsmouth, VA (US)

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time for more than a year

Pros

At the Coast Guard's engineering centers of management there is a lot of free time to pursue outside education and certifications. A decent amount of travel to cool places, like Alaska and San Francisco.

Cons

Very poor office culture. Surrounded my unqualified career government employees who are only interested in doing 8 hours a day. No support from upper management for creative ideas or change of any kind. Soul draining to be here.

Get rid of all the ridiculous processes. Enforce competency. Hold people accountable.

Worked for US Coast Guard? Contribute to the Community!