US Coast Guard

US Coast Guard Reviews

Updated 24 January 2015
Updated 24 January 2015
4.1

US Coast Guard Commandant of the Coast Guard Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.
Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Pros
  • Free training, steady pay and benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Job security can be a great incentive, especially in these trying times (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family was the biggest drawback, missed weddings and holidays (in 15 reviews)

• There will be times you are away from home for several months at a time (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

25 year member with mostly aviation background.

I worked at US Coast Guard

Pros

The people you meet and get to know and work with is amazing. The jobs are pretty rewarding. Being in aviation was a small knit feeling where you would see friends almost at every air station you visited.

Cons

Times are changing and with cutbacks, seems like reasons to stop letting service members be human. Young kids just joining are bound to make mistakes. Seems like now with a smaller budget, and the threat of getting kicked out for something stupid, lost its glamour and appeal.

Remember what it was like to start your career in the service and let the new members enjoy what the volunteered to do. Fight for new equipment and learn to stand up for the service and your troops.

24 years on active duty

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

All of my assignments were professionally challenging and I worked with some of the best people I could ever hope to meet.

Cons

Relocating every 2-4 years as been difficult.

USCG Reserve

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

I have been in the USCG as a reservist for the last 2 years. Overall it has been a very positive experience. It all depends on your rate and command. But very happy to be part of something different, great resume builder and opportunity to serve my country.

Cons

Can be hard to get / stay qualified. Not as challenging as I hoped.

Better, more specific opportunities for reservists.

Great Organization

I worked at US Coast Guard

Pros

Travel around the Country and in some cases the world.

Cons

OER Driven Leadership; Officer Corps is truly elite, on paper.

Consider promoting more from within the enlisted and OCS Ranks and less from the Academy.

AET

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, College, and Advancement Opportunities.

Cons

Bad pay and long hours. Move every 4 years.

Make sure the risk is worth the gain.

Coast Guard

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Suitland, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Suitland, MD (US)

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

The Coast Guard is an excellent part of Department of Homeland Security to work for!

Cons

Supervisors are constantly changing because they are active duty military.

Great opportunities and great experience

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

Being a member of the reserves offers great opportunities, great benefits, and gives you a strong sense of fulfillment knowing you are giving back. The commitment is minimal compared to the benefits and your coworkers become more like family than anything else. Due to the small size of the service, the camaraderie is unparalleled and the opportunities for advancement are immediate.

Cons

While the obligation is minimal, advanced training can be lengthy. Especially since it requires time away from your civilian job. Reservists who are not employed by state or federal agencies can have a tough time balancing duties.

Advice to active duty leadership: take advantage of the desire and skillsets qualified reservists can offer as a supplement to the regular rotation.

Coast Guard Officer

Current Employee - Coast Guard Officer
    Current Employee - Coast Guard Officer

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting work, great pay and benefits. Fun and meaningful work that is valued by the public and senior leadership

Cons

Frequent moves every 3 to 4 years and stagnant promotion opportunities

Allow for greater geographic stability

US Coast Guard Aviation - Pilot

Current Employee - Pilot in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Pilot in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

As a young pilot, you get the opportunity to make a difference in military or civilian life. You will save a life, make a difference utilizing the skills of a pilot. When you get done in your first year, you WILL have saved a life. It is completely worth it to see the look on someone's face of relief that they will live and to witness a family reunited.

Cons

You may need to put up with an organization not dedicated to aviation exclusively. Some cons will be depressed funding for equipment and representation at the higher levels of the organization. The USCG is lead by 20th century ship/surface thinkers - lost are opportunities for the future such as advanced flight vehicles and Unmanned systems - all with sensors highly integrated. The USCG continues to search like it did in the 1950s - despite newer ships, they are still ships with limited sensors to find a person or assist the Homeland Security Mission. I have been utterly disappointed with lost opportunities I had on searches or other missions if I just had the equipment. Motivated and great people will only take the organization so far.

Leverage tech. Free the organization of service acquisition - apply the time tested commercial off the shelf strategy to utilize the latest in technology and refresh of aging systems. Get away from heavy reliance upon large cutters with exception of Alaska and Arctic/Antarctic mission sets, concentrate on smaller more elite small boats, patrol vessels. Allow the USN to leverage littoral shipboard presence. Optimize the newer air systems with sensors and invest in COTS unmanned systems - more now than ever for Maritime Domain awarenss.